MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

larry meyers class still available?

just like the title reads. what's the status of ol launch pad's class nowadays? i'm lookin to take his class for the credit toward gettin my race license. does ty's class offer the same credit towards gettin a race license? and about larry's class, could anyone shoot me some info on how to sign up?

thanks peeps
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSR-H L. Meyers vs. MaxGs Data Acquisition maxgs Taking it to the Track 41 03-25-2009 07:26 PM
Who has had instruction w/ T. Howard or L. Meyers Brian f. Taking it to the Track 41 02-12-2009 11:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

bump
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
just like the title reads. what's the status of ol launch pad's class nowadays? i'm lookin to take his class for the credit toward gettin my race license. does ty's class offer the same credit towards gettin a race license? and about larry's class, could anyone shoot me some info on how to sign up?

thanks peeps
Larry's class was only good for CCS South which like their counterparts at TTD are now defunct and out of business.

No...Ty's class does not offer any credit towards a race license.

The only way to get a CMRA license is to take the LSTD licensing school. If you disagree with this process email the Board of Directors at www.cmraracing.com and voice your opinion.

Ride Smart has tried for years to be able to provide a licensing school for the CMRA and whether it is Ride Smart or someone else I feel there should be more than one alternative to getting your race license...my .02 worth and only my opinion.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
Larry's class was only good for CCS South which like their counterparts at TTD are now defunct and out of business.

No...Ty's class does not offer any credit towards a race license.

The only way to get a CMRA license is to take the LSTD licensing school. If you disagree with this process email the Board of Directors at www.cmraracing.com and voice your opinion.

Ride Smart has tried for years to be able to provide a licensing school for the CMRA and whether it is Ride Smart or someone else I feel there should be more than one alternative to getting your race license...my .02 worth and only my opinion.
thanks for that info. that would be awesome if we could take a credited race license class with Ride Smart. I couldn't agree with u more on that.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Ride Smart had their chance and it didn't work- they had the ability to provide licensing for an entire year and didn't produce.

The CMRA opted to go with one provider from now on.

Like Dirk said, if it's an issue, contact the CMRA BOD.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Actually you can go through Larry and get your CCS license. Then you can take that license and get your CMRA license. It cost more money because you have to pay the licensing fee for both clubs instead of one, but you can also skip the prov nov stuff and corner working for a race weekend.

Not saying this is right, better or whatever...just saying that you can get your CMRA license by other means.

So..I think Larry is working with BUck.

It would be..

Bucks Day - 190.00
Larry's Class - 75.00
CCS license - 130.00
CMRA License - 135.00 ( I think)

or...

LSTD Day 150.00
Race Class 80.00
CMRA License 135.00 (i think)
Prov nov jersey for 2 race weekends
Corner work for 2 race weekends.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

hmm with gas prices, hotel, other expenses

I'd opt for #1
Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Actually you can go through Larry and get your CCS license. Then you can take that license and get your CMRA license. It cost more money because you have to pay the licensing fee for both clubs instead of one, but you can also skip the prov nov stuff and corner working for a race weekend.

Not saying this is right, better or whatever...just saying that you can get your CMRA license by other means.

It would be..

Bucks Day - 190.00
Larry's Class - 75.00
CCS license - 130.00

or...

LSTD Day 150.00
Race Class 80.00

Yuuuup
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

would someone chime in on cdill's routes to gettin a license? or lay out another route with costs please? what exactly needs to be done and how much am I lookin at spending?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
would someone chime in on cdill's routes to gettin a license? or lay out another route with costs please? what exactly needs to be done and how much am I lookin at spending?
Thats the route man, give or take a few bucks on the costs. Anything else is propaganda. All you will get are people telling you why one way is better than the other.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

It would be..

Bucks Day - 190.00
Larry's Class - 75.00
CCS license - 130.00

or...

LSTD Day 150.00
Race Class 80.00

Option #1 (minus Bucks Days, insert TTD before going down) was what me and another friend were going to do if we decided to race (now wish would have done it before TTD went south).

I'd rather spend the extra cash and not pay the time/travel cost of corner workng 2 weekends at the CMRA races.

Good post Brandt
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

preciate it brandt
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

IMHO the club is...just that a club. You have to pay your dues to get in and play. Part of those dues is cornerworking for your fellow racers and racing two races without wrecking. To me the racing part is a wash. I actually liked wearing my yellow shirt and still have it to this day. The cornerworking is a service that the CMRA would otherwise have to pay someone to do. It is the member's support that drives the club and what makes it so good......so in short.... do your part. I did it, Ty Howard had to do it..... most every racer had to do it. What makes it any different for anyone else?
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Option #1 (minus Bucks Days, insert TTD before going down) was what me and another friend were going to do if we decided to race (now wish would have done it before TTD went south).

I'd rather spend the extra cash and not pay the time/travel cost of corner workng 2 weekends at the CMRA races.
You would be missing out on good experience. Running races as a prov nov gives you time to get accustomed to a race environment and gives yourself a way to judge where you stand against the other novices out there.

Plus...you could corner work on saturday and race on sunday...your gonna race anyways right? if you have a friend or someone to corner work with you it only takes one weekend (counts as your requirement) and it gives you the best seat in the house to watch what the fast guys do in that turn or turn set.

I think everyone who circumvents the process is doing themselves and the other racers a big dis-service. My .02 worth and only my opinion.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
launchpad199

i'm doing my classes with LMS or private lessons at MSRH. for any info please call 512 297 5212.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
IMHO the club is...just that a club. You have to pay your dues to get in and play. Part of those dues is cornerworking for your fellow racers and racing two races without wrecking. To me the racing part is a wash. I actually liked wearing my yellow shirt and still have it to this day. The cornerworking is a service that the CMRA would otherwise have to pay someone to do. It is the member's support that drives the club and what makes it so good......so in short.... do your part. I did it, Ty Howard had to do it..... most every racer had to do it. What makes it any different for anyone else?
Quote:
You would be missing out on good experience. Running races as a prov nov gives you time to get accustomed to a race environment and gives yourself a way to judge where you stand against the other novices out there.

Plus...you could corner work on saturday and race on sunday...your gonna race anyways right? if you have a friend or someone to corner work with you it only takes one weekend (counts as your requirement) and it gives you the best seat in the house to watch what the fast guys do in that turn or turn set.

I think everyone who circumvents the process is doing themselves and the other racers a big dis-service. My .02 worth and only my opinion.
Good points there. I thought corner working was for a whole weekend each time, but if as stated by Dirk, well then thats not all bad.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:

Well said, as did John.

Personally I could care less, I feel like the way I (and a ton of other folks) did it is the best way- corner working is a great way to learn.

By the way, LSTD doesn't make any additional money off licensing, that fee goes straight to the CMRA. I can't speak for the "other" method.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i agree, paying your dues is a part of being in a great club. cornerworking isn't that bad, plus you can still race. it's actually fun to cornerwork some days.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

do u have to cornerwork for 1 or 2 days at a cmra race?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Two days....one Saturday & one Sunday
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote