MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
IT'S THE BIGGEST POS BIKE EVER!! Mine is in the shop more than on the road. recalls after recalls, and alot of "known problems" that still aren't recalls yet. HA to "TOMTOM" for his post. the finish is HORRIBLE. no clear coat whatsoever, and i have so many chips on my paint, i just accept it now.

-there was only 1 recall on the 848 that I'm aware of(rectifier heat shield)
-sounds like you have some issues with your paint that others have'nt(mine has 4000 miles, zero chips & paint looks good). You should contact customer service if the dealer does'nt want to help.

What are you using your bike for?
Most people on the 848 forum(including myself) have been very happy with the bike.
It's not a daily rider, though. Mostly backroads with a few track days here and there.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Ducati 848 whomikedao Stolen Bike Reports 3 10-03-2013 08:02 PM
Ducati 848 VS R1 SupermanZX736 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-02-2012 12:08 AM
Ducati 848 evo TheVirus Sports 9 11-14-2011 09:36 AM
Ducati Streetfighter 848 morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-08-2011 12:58 PM
Ducati 848?? dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-29-2007 03:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
mousehunter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
so what type of issues are you having with the bike?
i bought my 1098 back in 2007 and so far i only had to take it in once for a recall..... italians are known for quality and the ducatis are no exception, during IKE my bike was tipped over by the strong winds and was laying on the ride side when i found it.... i picked it up expecting the worst but to my surprise the italian fairing wasn't even cracked or broken, all it had was a minor scratch of less than 1/4 inch, if i had a japanese bike i am sure it would be a different story. As far as the performance goes, once you learn how to ride the v-twin you can be as fast as any inline 4 out there, so far i haven't had any trouble running with any inline 4 liter bikes!
mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #23
mousehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Junk bike.
talking about junk...... don't you ride a harley davidson?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
-there was only 1 recall on the 848 that I'm aware of(rectifier heat shield)
-sounds like you have some issues with your paint that others have'nt(mine has 4000 miles, zero chips & paint looks good). You should contact customer service if the dealer does'nt want to help.

What are you using your bike for?
Most people on the 848 forum(including myself) have been very happy with the bike.
It's not a daily rider, though. Mostly backroads with a few track days here and there.

the radiator leak is another HUGE issue alot of people are having with their bikes. The NEW NEW 09 models i've heard that enkei makes the rims now. The warranty isn't the issue, it's taking 1-2 months to get the parts in. The ducati roadside assistance is a joke. That's a great recommendation, i will contact customer service. Another huge issue with the bike is the 2.3 gallon tank. I have to refill the tank after about 100 miles. I guess it's my mistake for wanting to use my bike as a daily rider.
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
the radiator leak is another HUGE issue alot of people are having with their bikes. The NEW NEW 09 models i've heard that enkei makes the rims now. The warranty isn't the issue, it's taking 1-2 months to get the parts in. The ducati roadside assistance is a joke. That's a great recommendation, i will contact customer service. Another huge issue with the bike is the 2.3 gallon tank. I have to refill the tank after about 100 miles. I guess it's my mistake for wanting to use my bike as a daily rider.
, bad experience. I don't plan on using my as a daily driver, but at least twice a week for long rides. I'm after a used 08, so hopefully the issues have been corrected. That does kinda suck about the gas tank.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
i love my 1098 but the thing isnt running right. i need to take it to the dealer so they can pop it on thier computer and tell me whats wrong with it
Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
mousehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
i love my 1098 but the thing isnt running right. i need to take it to the dealer so they can pop it on thier computer and tell me whats wrong with it
what's wrong with your 1098?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
, bad experience. I don't plan on using my as a daily driver, but at least twice a week for long rides. I'm after a used 08, so hopefully the issues have been corrected. That does kinda suck about the gas tank.
check www.ducatispot.com. most useful website i've used
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Great bike, more fun to ride than most 600's.
It actually offers the best balance between a 600 and a 1000.

In my experience with them fit and finish have been superior.

Parts pricing is about the same as bikes for normal items thanks to Ducati's new approach to manufacturing/sourcing parts.
Availability has also been reasonbly good as well.

Maintenance is a bit more expensive, but not ridiculous like the old 749's.

To me that's the only drawback, but what you get in return, IMO it's worth it.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #30
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track

I want back on a twin. I plan on getting the hayden edition 848 sometime next year. I say go for it if you can afford it. It comes down to what you like not what everyone else likes. You get 2 years free maintance right now(I believe its 2 yrs) or the financing option.
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #31
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
what's wrong with your 1098?
dunnp feels like its got a miss or something
Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #32
Scorpio

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cbreezy636 View Post
I want back on a twin. I plan on getting the hayden edition 848 sometime next year.

I read that all the Hayden reps have been spoken for already.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #33
bkeros
Back on the Track!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Ducati 749RS Full Race
Yamaha R1
CR 125
Ducati MH900e
Ducati S2R1000 Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
talking about junk...... don't you ride a harley davidson?

EXACTLY!

Quality is pretty good on the new 1098's and 848's. Not perfect, but reasoanbly good. Don't forget about the various bike recalls! Remember the original R1's with the exploding rear hubs and transmissions? That bike had 3-4 recalls IIRC. Also, how about the 03 CBR 600? I worked at a large Honda shop then, and witnessed a whole ROW of those engines, out of bike, on the ground...with con rod9s) having blown up, taking out the entire motor.
Suzuki GSXR race bikes are great performers, but don't hold on too one too long lest the heads blow themselves up. Kawasaki? Used to make bulletproof motors with everything else basically pot metal. new Kawi's are pretty good in quality, but don't have to go back very far....

The main thing with Duc's is that they have to be set up. Out of the box, the 848 doesn't handle that well (then again, nothing does!). A little of this and that, and some geometry set up, and it will flick very lightly while being stable as . The 848 also pulls very nicely out of corners and rolls down the straights.

Also..whomever paid $800 to get their valves done, probably neglected to mention that was a maor service, not just valves. Ducati dealers (good ones, at least) do a lot more than just change the oil on the bikes. The "main" major service usually includes changing rad fluid, fork oil, brake and clutch fluid, etc. etc.

My 749R racebike put 3000 hard miles under her belt (including TWO trips to Daytona for race week!) and never skipped a beat. Never had a DNS or DNF. When I parted it out, still put 128.5 hp to the ground on a pessimistic dyno (with U4). Checked the valves twice...never moved a .mil....

properly set up, had no problem cutting underneath R6's in tight corners!
WERA Ex #34
CCS Ex #34
bkeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #34
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
about as fast your current 600s, handles better, looks cooler, cost more.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeros View Post
EXACTLY!

properly set up, had no problem cutting underneath R6's in tight corners!
So...I have never rode a twin. But riddle me this...why is it that the top experts typically put down faster laps on an inline six than even a heavyweight twin? Same guy...on a different bike...the lap times are typically faster on the 6.

Or am I mistaken?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #35
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

not a fan...if you are a Ducati enthusiast then by all means buy one...im sure you will love it. But IMO the parts are to hard to find...the service required and money involved on the service is just plain STUPID! Not to mention the initial cost of the bike is crazy high. So why sink that much money into 1 bike when you could have a couple for the same price, if not cheaper! lol
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #36
Scorpio

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
So...I have never rode a twin. But riddle me this...why is it that the top experts typically put down faster laps on an inline six than even a heavyweight twin? Same guy...on a different bike...the lap times are typically faster on the 6.

Or am I mistaken?

Are they still racing the CBX's?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:

Or am I mistaken?
actually that is not always the case. take ty for example, the 1000cc prilla he rides isnt the king dingaling v twin but a detuned short and not as good of a handling bike.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #38
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
actually that is not always the case. take ty for example, the 1000cc prilla he rides isnt the king dingaling v twin but a detuned short and not as good of a handling bike.

Are their any other expert CMRA guys that ride both the inlines and twins? I know you've put down some killer times on a lighweight, but I am talkin 6 vs. heavyweight twins.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #39
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
Are they still racing the CBX's?
4...whatever...600cc's. I dont know techinal... I just ride.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #40
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Are their any other expert CMRA guys that ride both the inlines and twins? I know you've put down some killer times on a lighweight, but I am talkin inline 6 vs. heavyweight twins.
the reason why nobody really runs a twin is becuase of money. not becuase its not competitive. they just cost so much more and the contingency sucks

im pretty sure that if you put ty on a 1098 that was set up as good as his 600 he would go faster on the duc

Advertisement