MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #41
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
another point of concern for the RC, my wife might commute 1-2x w/ a bike and 'busa would be better for that.

My wife rode both of mine. She is 5 4. The busa was a little heavier for her to back up. But then again, she could touch the ground easier cause I lowered it 1 inch.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC51? SuperDave392 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-31-2014 10:35 PM
Busa, Busa, UGLY Busa navigator General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 01-10-2009 01:34 AM
RC51 Exhaust dangelo_texas How To's and Q & A's 2 12-07-2008 02:23 AM
rc51 anyone??? mr.haterz General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-05-2008 08:25 AM
Busa Busa Busa with Randy Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-28-2008 06:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #42
ZXALAN
UR NXT
 
ZXALAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,254

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR








The RC51 is an overweight, underpowered, pig of a bike that looks decent and sounds good. Its probably decent on a road course but still pretty heavy. There is no after market for em....if the engine Fs up, you're screwed for parts....They're hot as , you're sitting in a torture rack and they're slow as ... Any new 600 out there will tear an RC51 a new one.

If you are going to strictly do track days, get the RC51, for ANYTHING/EVERYTHING else, get the busa....

People always talk about "V-twin torque" or "they're real torquey" etc....Go look at a dyno chart from an RC51 and a 08 busa and tell me which one is torquey. A busa just does EVERYTHING better except for track days....and even then I wouldn't count one out.

Just get the busa...you'll be glad you did.

/thread
__________________

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #43
kenneth3602
THE DON 22K
 
kenneth3602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 116

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 Busa
07 R1 (stolen)








go with the busa you wont be dissapointed. get a gel seat and your will thank you after a couple hundred miles
kenneth3602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #44
Wideout
Senior Member
 
Wideout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 498


Bike(s):
'08 busa









I don't know you, but watching your posts over the years...I can't help but chuckle at your choices there. It's really a no brainer though. If you get the RC, I'd be willing to bet you'd look back and wish you got the busa. It's not for everyone though. If you don't have access to take one for a spin, come over to my side of town and ride mine. I'm in Mo City.
Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #45
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector
 
texlurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Colo
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 10,236

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage





Stock the RC 51 makes about 115-120 hp and a little over 70 ft/lbs of torque.. my Bandit makes 79 and about the same HP.

RC 51 is a cool bike that were awesome for their day, but 10 years later everything has passed them by.
__________________
sig pic
A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #46
Japawhat02
02 Tona
 
Japawhat02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: P-land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,941

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona









Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
250 224 is the highest I've seen on mine. It was a few weeks ago sitting in traffic on 45 when it was like 100 or whatever outside.
If the gas tank is on the empty side, it will heat up fast and start cooking but if it's full it takes a lot longer.

I commute about 40 miles one way everyday on mine and I love it.
how do you come back? helicpoter?........lol
__________________
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #47
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money
 
cashtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hunt, TX HWY 39
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,955

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E









Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
The RC51 is an overweight, underpowered, pig of a bike that looks decent and sounds good. Its probably decent on a road course but still pretty heavy. There is no after market for em....if the engine Fs up, you're screwed for parts....They're hot as , you're sitting in a torture rack and they're slow as ... Any new 600 out there will tear an RC51 a new one.

If you are going to strictly do track days, get the RC51, for ANYTHING/EVERYTHING else, get the busa....

People always talk about "V-twin torque" or "they're real torquey" etc....Go look at a dyno chart from an RC51 and a 08 busa and tell me which one is torquey. A busa just does EVERYTHING better except for track days....and even then I wouldn't count one out.

Just get the busa...you'll be glad you did.

/thread
egg zachary!
__________________
freak20brothers



Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #48
dhdrider
Senior Member
 
dhdrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,719


Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W









Coming from someone who has owned 2, an SP1 trackbike and an SP2 streetbike (I also rode the SP2 on the track as well)...

A well set up RC51 is a hoot to ride. If you're not into peak performance numbers (ie most power blah blah blah), it is a great bike. The fun/grin factor is something I've never experienced w/ any other bike I've owned.

If there is nothing wrong w/ it mechanically, it doesn't run hot. The fans kick in at about 215-220 degrees and it stays there until you get going and comes down and runs about 190-ish whileback roads riding. It "feels" hot because the rear cyclinder is under your nutz and if sitting too long, the seat starts to transfer that heat to you, the rider.

W/ a power commander, exahaust, aftermarket shock and reworked OEM forks, and air intake flapper removal, you're good to go, maybe take off the soft-rev limiter if you need the extra 500 revs before hard rev limiter.
__________________
- Jason

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #49
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug
 
witchdoctor575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alvin
Feedback Rating: (11)
Posts: 23,547

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Coming from someone who has owned 2, an SP1 trackbike and an SP2 streetbike (I also rode the SP2 on the track as well)...

A well set up RC51 is a hoot to ride. If you're not into peak performance numbers (ie most power blah blah blah), it is a great bike. The fun/grin factor is something I've never experienced w/ any other bike I've owned.

If there is nothing wrong w/ it mechanically, it doesn't run hot. The fans kick in at about 215-220 degrees and it stays there until you get going and comes down and runs about 190-ish whileback roads riding. It "feels" hot because the rear cyclinder is under your nutz and if sitting too long, the seat starts to transfer that heat to you, the rider.

W/ a power commander, exahaust, aftermarket shock and reworked OEM forks, and air intake flapper removal, you're good to go, maybe take off the soft-rev limiter if you need the extra 500 revs before hard rev limiter.

austin has a different climate, bumper top bumper traffic in houston will make the rc overheat. other than that kind of scenario, I didn't have too much issues with heat.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #50
dudewhrsmybike
Moderator
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,665

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
I'm with Alan on some of that stuff. I rode a buddies RC51 and begged to swap back to my ZX-10R.
I say get the Busa if those are you ONLY two options.
__________________


It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #51
dhdrider
Senior Member
 
dhdrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,719


Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W









Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
austin has a different climate, bumper top bumper traffic in houston will make the rc overheat. other than that kind of scenario, I didn't have too much issues with heat.
I owned my RC51s when I lived in Houston.
__________________
- Jason

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #52
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,403

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post

People always talk about "V-twin torque" or "they're real torquey" etc....Go look at a dyno chart from an RC51 and a 08 busa and tell me which one is torquey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Stock the RC 51 makes about 115-120 hp and a little over 70 ft/lbs of torque.. my Bandit makes 79 and about the same HP.
Well no . You're talking about bikes that have 20% and 40% more displacement. Peak torque is OBVIOUSLY going to be higher.
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #53
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector
 
texlurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Colo
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 10,236

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Well no . You're talking about bikes that have 20% and 40% more displacement. Peak torque is OBVIOUSLY going to be higher.
The comment was made earlier in the thread about the torque of the RC51 versus the Busa... so there!

And the Bandit is a low compression 1157 CC, what's the RC51? 998? Displacement doesn't always equal more torque; depends on the state of tune.
__________________
sig pic
A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #54
05cbreezy636
lean with it
 
05cbreezy636's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: houston sw
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 532

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track









RC
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #55
magzx12r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 1,500












Get the Busa over the RC. The RC runs hot. The RC is heavier than it looks. It does sound good though. I agree the Busa is a better all around bike than the RC except for trackdays or tight back roads.
__________________
Mark
magzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #56
Grinchy
Senior Member
 
Grinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seabrook
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 15,535

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila









Buy the SP2 not the SP1
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #57
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis
 
Zapata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy/Conroe
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,618

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge



Member Garage


I'll go with the 'busa..!!! Is considered a "cult" bike and the aftermarket is very good.

My next bike is going to be a 'busa or M109.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #58
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money
 
cashtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hunt, TX HWY 39
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,955

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E









Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
I owned my RC51s when I lived in Houston.
did you live over in the heights off white oak across from onion creek cafe? There was a dude who lived there who had a really nice 51 race bike that he'd leave out in the front yard. (he might've had 2 if I recall correctly)
__________________
freak20brothers



Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #59
dhdrider
Senior Member
 
dhdrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,719


Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W









Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
did you live over in the heights off white oak across from onion creek cafe? There was a dude who lived there who had a really nice 51 race bike that he'd leave out in the front yard. (he might've had 2 if I recall correctly)
Wasn't me. I lived up near 249 & Spring-Cypress.
__________________
- Jason

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy