MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Riding and becoming a parent...what did you do...
Quit and content... 1 1.96%
Quit and got back into it later... 6 11.76%
Quit and am itching to get back on... 4 7.84%
Kept riding... 40 78.43%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #41
Davekg
Honda Rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR

I have two kids 8 and 13 I quit riding 11 years ago not really because of the kids just sold my bike. I missed riding and got another one this year. To each his own...... make sure they are taken care of if anything happens to you of course that goes with out saying even if you don't ride.

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plate hanging pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-05-2015 06:22 PM
What helmet for riders with glasses? Jaynvius1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-09-2014 10:06 PM
a good cheap helmet for some newer riders or passengers mikes-si Gear Talk 2 08-13-2010 11:36 AM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
kids helmet H2447INTX Gear Talk 12 03-15-2008 08:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #42
tef

Feedback Rating: (3)

I took a few years off once for financial/logistical reasons. (Lived in NYC, didn't have a car either!) Now I have two young kids and the bike is our family's second vehicle. I use it for meetings, errands, etc., that I have to do without wanting to drag the rest of the family along (or strand them at home).

Doing my most of own maintenance and buying inexpensive motorcycles, I find that owning and using a motorcycle is not all that different, financially, from owning a car. (Again, this is because it IS the second vehicle -- and if I need to ride it in the rain, cold, or summer heat, I do.)

In truth, I think that riding makes me a much more alert driver in general. The adrenaline and focus (even after 15+ years) of riding carries over at least residually into the car.

All that said, I fully agree with the sentiments above re: quitting if you want to. It's not a big deal to hang it up for a while. Used bikes are cheap: you can pick up another whenever you're ready to start up again. Just keep that "M" endorsement on your license.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
RR785

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 CBR600RR

I'm a single father - I don't ride if my daughter is counting on me (day care, etc) but I'd never give up riding.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #44
the head

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR1000
1987 Yamaha Razz scooter
1982 Honda XR100

I didn't give up riding because of kids but I did stop roadracing. Which was hard after finishing 1st, 1st, and 3rd as an expert in the classes I was racing back then. In any event, even though I will maintain the street is more dangerous than the track, I still don't ride that much. And I crashed a lot more at the track pushing it to be up front - kind of the nature of the beast. About the only real preventive measure about my riding is that my wife no longer comes with me. Not that she did much anyway, but I ride solo in the event that if it does go south at least she'll be around for the kids (along with $$).
the head is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement