MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Riding and becoming a parent...what did you do...
Quit and content... 1 1.96%
Quit and got back into it later... 6 11.76%
Quit and am itching to get back on... 4 7.84%
Kept riding... 40 78.43%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Unicron

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
CBR RR 600

For riders with kids...ever think about hanging up the helmet?

Quick intro, I am 33 and am a couple months into becoming a father. I am at the crossroads of considering pausing or quitting riding.

Was just wondering what are some of the numbers out there for people who quit for good, or thought they were going to quit and got sucked back in...heh.

I don't ride a whole lot now, and I just think i will be too busy. I also worry about the risk factor. Sure i thought about storing the bike until i can firmly decide on it. But i can get some decent money for my 2003 600RR now, and can put it to use.

I know I am probably going to get a bias towards continuing riding here; but just wanted to hear about other viewpoints.

Sooo...what is your story with riding and becoming a parent?
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plate hanging pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-05-2015 06:22 PM
What helmet for riders with glasses? Jaynvius1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-09-2014 10:06 PM
a good cheap helmet for some newer riders or passengers mikes-si Gear Talk 2 08-13-2010 11:36 AM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
kids helmet H2447INTX Gear Talk 12 03-15-2008 08:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Im selfish I guess. I enjoy riding. I have to kids. Girl 7 and boy 18 months.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

my dad bought his bike the year i was born, he still has it and never quit riding. I don't think i will either
sbfuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I enjoy riding and have two kids. If you think you should hang it up then hang it up. You can always jump back in later.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

i have 1 boy and i still ride mostly for a release after a stressful day, not as a daily commuter (houston traffic is to crazy to the med center) or on the weekends.......
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
tmilheiser

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
FZ6

Im a daily rider and my wife is due in feb. I plan to sell my bike. I plan to get a cruiser as a weekend rider as soon as i can... but for now something safer and something i can pick up the baby in if need be.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

I ride because I want to. The kid shouldn't be a deciding factor. It may influence how you ride, but it shouldn't impact if you do it at all. Riding a motorcycle is a pretty selfish hobby. It is for you and pretty much you alone. Sure you may have someone on the back from time to time, but at the end of the day you ride because YOU want to. If you have become disenchanted with the whole riding thing, then step away from it for a while. You may come back, you may not.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I ride because I want to. The kid shouldn't be a deciding factor. It may influence how you ride, but it shouldn't impact if you do it at all. Riding a motorcycle is a pretty selfish hobby. It is for you and pretty much you alone. Sure you may have someone on the back from time to time, but at the end of the day you ride because YOU want to. If you have become disenchanted with the whole riding thing, then step away from it for a while. You may come back, you may not.
nicely put...
I am a single mom of four beautiful, amazing children and I have never thought about giving up on riding. Even after loosing two very dear friends. I havent even chnged my riding style. I probably never will.
vmaxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

I am worth more dead than alive.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I like the point about riding style. I will say that has changed for me.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshotwound View Post
I am worth more dead than alive.
insurance wise I am...5 people would have a very good chunk of money. But I know my kids would suffer most because of where they would have to live. The fifth person would probably just buy a few bikes and move on
vmaxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
i think it made me faster
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
RAS_Houston

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Quote:
It may influence how you ride, but it shouldn't impact if you do it at all.

Yes it will change the way you drive a bike, a car, a boat, etc, lol. Your thought process completely changes after seeing that baby for the first time (atleast it did for me). You will catch yourself driving 25 in a 35, lol.... looking 5 ways at every stop.

I hung it up because my X wife, again I say X wife, told me it would be best if my kids actually had a father. Make a long story short, my kids are older now, my x wife is no longer my wife and im back riding again. The passion will never leave.

I would add a few things as well here. After the squid stage, some of us become the safest drivers on the road. Its not that we arent capable of riding but rather whats around us. Ive been hit twice, sandwiched between two cars, had flying metal hit me, etc..... So just be safe.

Enjoy what you do, congrats on the baby!
RAS_Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
+1

just had a kid 3 weeks ago, 2nd one, others a girl 4
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Yep, if biking is in your blood, then you won't stop riding.
Biggest mistake I made, was letting my wife ride with me.
Now she won't get off the bike.
Believe me, the bike comes in as a nice stress relief.
For me, I just went from sport bikes to a nice cruiser. [ V STAR ]
Best wishes & prayers for you & your new family !
Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
CLOSER

Bike(s):
ZZR1200

I took about a 10 year break in my riding. Not because of fear of something bad happening, but for the lack of time. My family came first as far as my free time. After the kids got a little older I jumped back in, but I can tell you, I definately changed my riding habits quite a bit. Now it's full gear always, and I ride at 75% as a general rule. My family would be very well provided for if the worst happened, so that is why I continue to ride. This is a very personal decision and I'm not trying to influence anybody, just my .02 With my oldest off to college and my youngest in jr high, they both know what daddy likes to do with SOME of his free time, and both accept it. The Mrs. on the other hand, wishes I would crash every day!! JK
Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
I took about a 10 year break in my riding. Not because of fear of something bad happening, but for the lack of time. My family came first as far as my free time. After the kids got a little older I jumped back in, but I can tell you, I definately changed my riding habits quite a bit. Now it's full gear always, and I ride at 75% as a general rule. My family would be very well provided for if the worst happened, so that is why I continue to ride. This is a very personal decision and I'm not trying to influence anybody, just my .02 With my oldest off to college and my youngest in jr high, they both know what daddy likes to do with SOME of his free time, and both accept it. The Mrs. on the other hand, wishes I would crash every day!! JK

I got off when I got married (long time ago), had some kids (6yo and 3yo girls) - finally after years of putting it off I got another bike. Wife is angry about it but I don't care - I got to do something to unload some of this stress from work and life.

Nothing else has the same effect that riding does. It just turns off the worry portion of my brain for a few hours at a time. Better than TV, working out, or drinking.

I carry a good amount of medical and life ins just in case but I also ride very calmly and full gear most of the time (I may not wear knee protection if its a short run to a M&G or something).

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
NastyNate
excellence!!

Bike(s):
2013 ZX14r
2006 CRF50
2009 ZX10-SOLD
2008 CBR600-Sold
2011 R1----sold

i have a 4 month old son and still keep rackin up the miles
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

i have 3 kids. I'll never quit riding. However, I do ride to enjoy myself and not to set land speed records. otherwise, I am very aware of my responsibilities and motorcycle safetly
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
spyderryder
Paid Poser

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1k
2006 r6-sold
2002 gsxr 600-sold
95 yzf 600-sold

Send a message via MSN to spyderryder Send a message via Yahoo to spyderryder
I have an almost 3 year old little girl and I still ride. I bought my 06 r6 when I was 7-8 months prego...didn't ride bc I couldn't touch the handlebars, but was on it shortly after I had my daughter. I definitely ride more on the side of caution now but I still have a lot of fun. My husband had a really bad accident the week she was born and decided to give it up (for a short bit). After I refused to sell my bike, he decided to get a cruiser since he figured he wouldn't ride it as hard as a super sport. We have decided that if we ride, we won't ride together on the same bike in case something happens. That way, hopefully only one of us is hurt...or worse, and our daughter wouldn't go without. But, ultimately it is your decision. If you do decide to sell your bike, you can always buy another one later
spyderryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement