MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #81
Scatter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

i used to love riding 2 up and i was a great passengar. i brace myself on the side of the tank so my wrists dont get tired and i also hold onto the back (the little oh handle lol). i always leaded with him. the only oh moment i had was when he forgot i was on the back and dragged knee going around a corner. i felt his knee go out and his slide off the seat so i just leaned into/with him. i wasn't having as much fun on the back as i used to since i have my own ride now, but that moment made me really not like it anymore lol.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Laws for 2015, heads up passengers / 2UP riding Hung General Discussion (Moto Related) 79 03-05-2015 01:38 PM
2up lesson... Lucar General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-26-2012 03:41 PM
W riding today at 11:30 am 2up riders and solos Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 3 08-25-2011 07:35 PM
Anyone For a 2up riding VeagleRider Events, Meets and Rides 27 05-13-2011 10:10 PM
2up? marimirez General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-15-2008 07:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #82
Teela
his dirty little secret

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2007 gsxr-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
i used to love riding 2 up and i was a great passengar. i brace myself on the side of the tank so my wrists dont get tired and i also hold onto the back (the little oh handle lol). i always leaded with him. the only oh moment i had was when he forgot i was on the back and dragged knee going around a corner. i felt his knee go out and his slide off the seat so i just leaned into/with him. i wasn't having as much fun on the back as i used to since i have my own ride now, but that moment made me really not like it anymore lol.
that's kinda scary
Teela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #83
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

From what I have read..the passenger is to remain in a neutral position. Only looking over the inside shoulder of the operator. Not to lean with the operator, but do not fight the lean of the bike.

As long as the passenger is in a neutral postion all the time, the the bikes handling characteristics, with a passenger, become predictable and can be compensated for. I am not sure I suscribe to the "leaning with" theory. But I am a noob to this.

I did find, in my experience, that aside from what I mentioned, the next most important things were for the passenger to be on the of their feet (so I could be on the of mine) and to brace themselves against the tank, under braking.

I am 6"5', with a bet of a belly , my passenger was 5"4' and had no problem reaching the tank.

I increased my tire pressure to 35 cold, front and rear, on BT016. May could have used more.

No adjustments to the suspension. I am 250, she was 135. I am on stock suspension tuned for the track. Not saying this is right, justy saying the way we rode.

ecr2up
2up riding?
2up riding?
2up riding?

Last edited by cdill35; 08-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #84
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

http://www.ehow.com/how_7885_carry-p...otorcycle.html

1Make sure your motorcycle is equipped to carry passengers. The seat should be large enough to hold both you and your passenger without crowding, and your bike must have foot pegs for your passenger. Always provide your passenger with a helmet.

Step 2Modify the suspension to handle the additional weight. Check your owner's manual about this, and make sure to add the recommended amount of air to your tires.

Step 3Give complete instructions before you start, even if your passenger is an experienced rider. Don't assume the passenger knows what to do.

Step 4Have your passenger get on the motorcycle after you've started it and pointed it in the direction you want to go. Ask your passenger to sit as far forward as possible without crowding you.

Step 5Instruct the rider to hold tightly to your waist, hips, or belt. Direct the passenger to stay directly behind you, leaning as you lean and avoiding any unnecessary motion.

Step 6Tell your rider to keep both feet on the foot pegs at all times, as many states require this by law. It's better for balance to do so even when the cycle is stopped at intersections.

Step 7Warn your passenger to keep his or her legs away from the mufflers, which get extremely hot.

Step 8Operate at a somewhat lower speed (particularly on curves or bumps) to adjust for the extra weight. Start slowing down earlier than usual when approaching a stoplight.

Step 9Adjust to the passenger's weight. Notice that the extra heaviness changes the way the motorcycle balances, turns, speeds up and slows down.
LOL
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #85
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Tips for the passenger
1. Wear proper gear - if leathers, boots and gloves are necessary for the rider, then they are for you too. If borrowing a helmet, make sure it fits tightly; if it doesnít, donít go.
2. Donít get on or off the bike without first getting the nod from the rider.
3. Keep your feet on the footpegs at all times. The law says that you must keep both feet on the passenger pegs unless you are mounting or dismounting, so you must let the rider support the bike at junctions / traffic lights etc.
4. Hold on to the riderís waist - grabrails are fine when youíre at ease.
5. Sit centrally on the seat to keep the balance of the bike right and then pretend you are an immobile sack of spuds. The less you do the better. 6. Get comfy before riding off.
7. Related to 6 - donít wriggle about when on the move or, if you must, wait until you are going along in a straight line at speed, or stopped. Never move on the bike on a bend, corner, or during a slow manoeuvre. And if you can tell the rider, do, as in "I need to move my feet, OK?"
8. Related to 7 - itís OK to look around but donít shift your body weight when you do, just move your head.
9. When the bike goes around a bend or a roundabout, neither help nor hinder the lean - the bike will move you just right if you let it (see 5).

10. Anticipate sudden moves/stops and keep your helmet back out of the way or youíll bang into each other.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/tips/passengers.html
Old 08-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #86
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Maybe it is up to the operator as to what they prefer. Who knows?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #87
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Click image for larger version

Name:	earnest-elbow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	26639
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #88
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

that has to be photoshopped
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #89
puertorico600r

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
yes how is it with woody riding on the back of your bike

your girl ride on the back?
The woodster stays behind I ride with my chick she loves to go fast if u know what I mean
puertorico600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #90
Wazioc

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'02 Naked SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Tips for the passenger
1. Wear proper gear - if leathers, boots and gloves are necessary for the rider, then they are for you too. If borrowing a helmet, make sure it fits tightly; if it doesnít, donít go.
2. Donít get on or off the bike without first getting the nod from the rider.
3. Keep your feet on the footpegs at all times. The law says that you must keep both feet on the passenger pegs unless you are mounting or dismounting, so you must let the rider support the bike at junctions / traffic lights etc.
4. Hold on to the riderís waist - grabrails are fine when youíre at ease.
5. Sit centrally on the seat to keep the balance of the bike right and then pretend you are an immobile sack of spuds. The less you do the better. 6. Get comfy before riding off.
7. Related to 6 - donít wriggle about when on the move or, if you must, wait until you are going along in a straight line at speed, or stopped. Never move on the bike on a bend, corner, or during a slow manoeuvre. And if you can tell the rider, do, as in "I need to move my feet, OK?"
8. Related to 7 - itís OK to look around but donít shift your body weight when you do, just move your head.
9. When the bike goes around a bend or a roundabout, neither help nor hinder the lean - the bike will move you just right if you let it (see 5).

10. Anticipate sudden moves/stops and keep your helmet back out of the way or youíll bang into each other.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/tips/passengers.html
I used to ride 2 up and agree with a lot of these points. She claimed she wasnt moving, but the bike would be shifting weight left and right as she was looking around... now she has her own bike
Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #91
JoeCue

Bike(s):
07' zx10r
Buell Firebolt xb12 (sold)

My bike is slammed 2 up riding scrapes my exhuast. And I hate the sound it makes when it scrapes.
JoeCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #92
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i almost always ride 2 up. have only done it once at the track with McKee's girlfriend on the back
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #93
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

i have no passengers to ride with me.. i needs me a curbmonkey...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #94
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Maybe it is up to the operator as to what they prefer. Who knows?
We have tried having her stay neutral and her moving off the seat and leaning with.

Personally for me, when she leaned with me (she is very good at being insync) it was 1000 times more fluid, the bike streamlined the corners, i was able to keep the bike more upright.

Though I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you are in a safe environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i almost always ride 2 up. have only done it once at the track with McKee's girlfriend on the back
now she wants a busa

it was "comfy"

speaking of, come ride with us sunday, i know t already asked kristen, it will be early so the heat wont be too bad

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #95
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Dont know if its photo shoped but I found it on the website

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
i have no passengers to ride with me.. i needs me a curbmonkey...
Be thank-ful... sometimes its not woth the head-ache
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #96
ThomAss
I like to ride

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

90% of my riding is two up.

There are many aspects of the ride that changes and it is very important to educate your passenger.

Whether it be you and/or your passenger that is new to it treat it as if you are learning to ride the bike all over again. Baby steps.

It's not just you who is at risk.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #97
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
We have tried having her stay neutral and her moving off the seat and leaning with.

Personally for me, when she leaned with me (she is very good at being insync) it was 1000 times more fluid, the bike streamlined the corners, i was able to keep the bike more upright.

Though I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you are in a safe environment.

now she wants a busa

it was "comfy"

speaking of, come ride with us sunday, i know t already asked kristen, it will be early so the heat wont be too bad
send Kristin a PM... I'm fine with it
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #98
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Cool

I two up ride with my wife sometimes.
It's cool, just got to remember she is on back sometimes. lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #99
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH HUBBARD View Post
I two up ride with my wife sometimes.
It's cool, just got to remember she is on back sometimes. lol.
where do yall ride?

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #100
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
even on the turns? if not, how far off the seat do you get, or how far do you lean....and where are your hands at?
Quote:
you got your own ride? or you just ride on the back?

Got any suggestion? where are your arms, hands, toes, and legs at while riding?

How do you move about the bike?
Didn't read the whole thread because it's 5 pages long, but for what it's worth, the MSF course was saying that a passenger should hold on with arms around your waist or chest, and they should lean with you, trying to be in a position to look over your shoulder on the inside of the turn. So, for example, in a left turn, the passenger should lean as much as you do and look over your left shoulder. I've never ridden with anyone though, just taking that straight out of the book.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement