MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Because it's always analyzing output and varies air/ fuel, it's only the same amount of fuel at the same rpm and throttle opening if the sensors are reading that output. If you "uncork" it, it may *think* it's at a totally different rpm or throttle opening due to the output readings.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #42
honorcode3

Feedback Rating: (0)

I called HoH and they said the bike would be dyno'd and done by Friday. I drove in from Austin and the bike wasn't done. Service manager said tech didn't show up and didn't know if he would. Tech shows up Saturday and dynos bike. They said it runs well so I asked if I could have the dyno chart, something I called ahead before they even started and asked them to print out. The guy fumbled around for a few minutes and pulled out a chart for dyno run number 3. Apparently the tech/tuner only printed out dyno run #3 out of supposedly 10 runs. What makes it worse is the x-axis of the graph was in mph instead of rpm's. The guy behind the counter was telling me how there was a hole in the intake (some whole the size of a quarter on the top of the bike by the instrument panel that usually has a plug in it). He told me I could duct tape it up and probably get another hp and a couple more torques. Why couldn't they have duct taped it when they tuned it if it's that easy (it is literally in plain site and takes no effort to cover up)? WTF is wrong with these people? I also had the pc3 shipped to them and I think it was supposed to come with a usb cord that they never gave me. I hope they don't say they threw it out or lost it when I call on Monday.
honorcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #43
Vividkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Because it's always analyzing output and varies air/ fuel, it's only the same amount of fuel at the same rpm and throttle opening if the sensors are reading that output. If you "uncork" it, it may *think* it's at a totally different rpm or throttle opening due to the output readings.
I don't know about that. Im pretty sure, at least on the older bikes, that the computers don't really adjust fuel trims. How could it? There's no 02 to monitor A/F. They simply modify pulse width and spark timing based on RPM/TPS/MAP(?) etc. based on the hard maps in the computer, thats why they usually go lean when you put on a an exhaust.

Last edited by Vividkid; 08-31-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Vividkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #44
cajun315

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX10R
RM450Z

what??

PC3's are a piggy back unit, meaning that they are installed after your stock ECM. The PC3 gets the info from the ECM and they change it from there, if the PC looses its power or goes bad your system goes stock. I hear alot of people blame accidents and bad running conditions on PC's but the truth is that either they got in over there head or they never had it properly tuned.
As for whos doing the work, find a tech that has taken and passed a Dynojet course, thats the only way you can be assured that its installed and tuned correctly. I cannot count the times a customer has come to either my old shop, or any shop I have worked at and complained about the PC not working properly after it was installed, just to pull the map and find out that it has a zero map in it, meaning that someone installed it and never put a map in it.
If the dealer said that your PC is the problem be weary, although stranger things have happened, I have seen PC's go out, but the only reason the customer even knew was because they knew their bikes very well.

Just my 2cents

Dell
cajun315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #45
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

It varies air? Unless you're talking about a newer yami, the air control is your right wrist. Granted, a lot of bikes have secondary throttle valves, however they generally are on a pretty static curve. Ergo: closed below 7k, open over the next 2k rpms, wide open afterwads.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #46
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorcode3 View Post
I called HoH and they said the bike would be dyno'd and done by Friday. I drove in from Austin and the bike wasn't done. Service manager said tech didn't show up and didn't know if he would. Tech shows up Saturday and dynos bike. They said it runs well so I asked if I could have the dyno chart, something I called ahead before they even started and asked them to print out. The guy fumbled around for a few minutes and pulled out a chart for dyno run number 3. Apparently the tech/tuner only printed out dyno run #3 out of supposedly 10 runs. What makes it worse is the x-axis of the graph was in mph instead of rpm's. The guy behind the counter was telling me how there was a hole in the intake (some whole the size of a quarter on the top of the bike by the instrument panel that usually has a plug in it). He told me I could duct tape it up and probably get another hp and a couple more torques. Why couldn't they have duct taped it when they tuned it if it's that easy (it is literally in plain site and takes no effort to cover up)? WTF is wrong with these people? I also had the pc3 shipped to them and I think it was supposed to come with a usb cord that they never gave me. I hope they don't say they threw it out or lost it when I call on Monday.
The USB cord is to plug in to your computer so you can update or revise your map (if you know what you're doing) and/ or store the current map for service or modifications later. It's a simple small usb to standard usb adapter. You should also have gotten the CD with the dynojet program so you can download your maps and also do things like enable a quick shifter or something.

At this point I'd just hope that your bike runs well enough for you to ride it as it is and have your work done somewhere else in the future. I'd have given up on that whole scenario you've been through looooong ago.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #47
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

dude's a glutton for punishment.........lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #48
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

that is where the flapper is/was. a common mod for the rc51 is to remove the flapper to get rid of the flat spot in the hp curve that is produces. they make a fancy plug to fill the hole if you like, but tape will do the job.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

Quote:
. They said the plugs were fouled and they replaced them and they put in a new battery. .
Dude I would have done this work for free. Well mabye just a beer.
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #50
honorcode3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
dude's a glutton for punishment.........lol
Tis true tis true. I know a lot of people do the flapper valve mod to their RC51. The dealership thinks this may be causing the butterfly valves or something to not function properly and my spark plugs to foul. Does anyone still have all the they ripped out while doing the flapper valve mod? Also, it seems that once new spark plugs are put in the bike runs fine as long as it is warm. Once it cools down and has to start from a cold start, it somehow fouls the plugs. Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #51
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Tis true tis true. I know a lot of people do the flapper valve mod to their RC51. The dealership thinks this may be causing the butterfly valves or something to not function properly and my spark plugs to foul. Does anyone still have all the they ripped out while doing the flapper valve mod? Also, it seems that once new spark plugs are put in the bike runs fine as long as it is warm. Once it cools down and has to start from a cold start, it somehow fouls the plugs. Any ideas?
get someone else to work on your bike.....they have no clue what they are doing!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #52
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Putting back in the flapper is not going to help. All it does is shut off 1/2 the ram air intake between certain rpm's. It was done to meet noise restirctions by the government. The hole in the top if it's out won't really do anything, especially if it's not at speed.

Put black duct tape over it if you're concerned w/ looks.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #53
honorcode3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Putting back in the flapper is not going to help. All it does is shut off 1/2 the ram air intake between certain rpm's. It was done to meet noise restirctions by the government. The hole in the top if it's out won't really do anything, especially if it's not at speed.

Put black duct tape over it if you're concerned w/ looks.
Lol, I put black gorilla tape over it because it looked better than the duct tape. = p

Alright, I have decided to cut my losses and take the bike elsewhere. I'll have to pay for new plugs again, but at least I can get some quality service from people that know what they are doing. What are a few good places near the Galleria area?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #54
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

take it to motorcycles unlimited..... patrick knows how to work on the rc
Old 09-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #55
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

sam's motorcycle sales. 605 silver st, between washington and memorial. its closer to galleria area. chris should be able to help you out.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #56
honorcode3

Hahaha, this is part of an email I received from HoH's general manager today. It turns out they tried to dyno over some mechanical problems and give the bike back to me without telling me about it.

"The tech did inform me that he had to adjust the map rich for an exhaust leak and rich for a throttle body issue related to the idle speed. These two things alone may be a big part of our problems. The bike would not run well at all with the map from dyno jet that should have been spot on out of the box... I want to do all that I can to help you get this resolved and look forward to getting your bike here so we can look at a few of these concerning areas but there is likely more time and money to be spent to get your bike running like it should be. I will pick up your bike and spend an hour or so of my techs time to look at these areas and go from there."

I took the bike over to Motorcycles Unlimited and Patrick heard the problems within 5 minutes of hearing the bike. I don't know what kind of scam HoH is pulling, but they would have to be mad to think I'm taking the bike back to them with the information they just told me.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #57
honorcode3

In conclusion, Honda of Houston's motorcycle service is .

The owner of Honda of Houston asked me for the $250 receipt from Motorcycles Unlimited. I told him I would email it and call him back in 2 minutes. I send it and call him right back and the secretary tells me he will be out of the office for the next 3 days (Friday, Saturday, and Monday). Great, smooth move guy. He then sends me an email back saying he sent me a $100 check to my address on the receipt for the hour diagnosis time HoH promised me. Thanks HoH, that almost makes up for the amount of money I spent in gas driving back and forth from Austin to Houston and carting the motorcycle around. What a piece of work.

BTW, motorcycle runs awesome thanks to Motorcycles Unlimited!

Last edited by honorcode3; 10-24-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #58
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Just saw this thread. I'm sorry you didn't listen sooner, but on the bright side, you know who to stay away from, and have a shop you know will take care of you for a reasonable price. Also got your bike back to running how it should be.

Regarding that $100 check . . . it's not much I know, but , at least it's something right?
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement