Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Slipper no slipper...I always blip the throttle on downshifts. As Chris said, lines and corner speed. I picked up 3 seconds at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in one day, and did nothing more than change my lines.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermediate lap times for TWS (Texas World Speedway) agentorange Taking it to the Track 28 07-05-2011 09:38 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ride Smart Level 2 lap times.. Silent636 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 35 02-10-2010 04:42 PM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Lap Times? Robert95z Taking it to the Track 52 07-16-2007 12:57 PM
I need your lap times from TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! mammothmc Taking it to the Track 49 09-16-2006 10:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
S.D.W.
...Ready

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Thanks for the info John.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #23
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Slipper Clutch................F_ _ _ TW !!

And lines with exit speed for time.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Timme' I do blip the throttle even with a slipper, like Chris said, I think it lessens the load on the clutches while down-shifting even with a slipper.

I was fortunate and it was just an adjustment issue with my slipping slipper (Thanks Sunny! ).

Keith, I've been in endurance races with plenty of folks who were running 2:10 at TWS (Texas World Speedway); while it's not "fast" by any means, by comparison it's not slow. Now that said, I feel like the laps I was running Saturday was "slow" because I know I can run faster times and also know that "fast" for folks out there is in the mid-40's. It's all a matter of perspective. I think someone at his level running 2:10 is respectable and his times will dramatically improve with time.

Timme', next TWS (Texas World Speedway) track day out there for us is a race weekend. That means we won't have a school so I'll be available. I already promised one person I'd work with them on the side that day, I can certainly fit you in also if you want. We can get the vid and see what we can get accomplished during the day
Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
Looking at the CMRA results from TWS (Texas World Speedway) I would have been in the top 10 based on lap times that is....

In which class would a 2:10 have been in the top ten??????
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #26
SunnyR6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Saigon BB125 with a kitty basket on front.
09 Yamaha R-1 with a GSXR 1000 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicious View Post
In which class would a 2:10 have been in the top ten??????
Tim probaly was looking at the April 11-12 results.It rained in the morning and quite a few sprints were done in the wet.
SunnyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyR6 View Post
Tim probaly was looking at the April 11-12 results.It rained in the morning and quite a few sprints were done in the wet.
Yup, didn't realize it had rained.... yeah looking at other dates 2:10 would be more like 15 - 20th

Hey I will take it

Tom, I will hook up with you next time out at TWS (Texas World Speedway). But, next track is Cresson for race weekend... You gonna show me how to get around that thing on Friday before? I am gonna try and corner work Sat, sprint Sunday. Will see, very least track day on Friday.

Side note: I rode Harris Hill on Sat. and had a blast. Worked really really hard on corner entry speed and probably dropped 10 seconds from start to finish. Mostly I have to admit and confidence the front was gonna stick. Had the rear let completely go on me once... I was way slow on the corner entrance and got on the gas way to hard way to fast... I was waiting for the high side but just got the tyre spinning (John if read this 5 track days on those Pirelli's is too many.... he he you would think I would learn) and when it caught up I had a nice little song and dance toward the outside of the corner.... was able to keep it on the track... can you say pucker moment Still get really really bad tyre tears on the front out there... can't figure it out
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Tom, I will hook up with you next time out at TWS (Texas World Speedway). But, next track is Cresson for race weekend... You gonna show me how to get around that thing on Friday before? I am gonna try and corner work Sat, sprint Sunday. Will see, very least track day on Friday.
If you're there Friday, consider it done. If you're going to race, we'll run the 1.7.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
So where in the do you get 15 seconds from? Am I really just that slow? I dropped 19 seconds from last trip to TWS (Texas World Speedway) and this trip but it was obvious I was slowing up and stuff where others where busting it.
15 seconds is not that much depending upon your perspective.

1 sec/per corner = 15 seconds

And I am not a big advocate of lap timers.
My suggestions:

1) Work on being smooth.
2) Always look as far ahead as you can.
3) No coasting. Either on the brakes or on the gas at every point on the track
4) Use ear plugs
5) Stop comparing your practice times to a racer's race times.

There is more, so much more but most people cannot learn these things out of a book nor by reading a message board.

Track days are about track time and improving the skill set.
Racing is about competition and honing the acquired skills.

Most racers don't run race times in practice. My race times are always faster than my practice times by at least 1.5-2.0 seconds per lap.

Successful racing requires a focus that is hard to achieve/maintain during practice. But once you are comfortable/relaxed/focused enough to drop into that "Zone" you will discover that you have achieved things that you once considered beyond your abilities.
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #30
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
15 seconds is not that much depending upon your perspective.

1 sec/per corner = 15 seconds

And I am not a big advocate of lap timers.
My suggestions:

1) Work on being smooth.
2) Always look as far ahead as you can.
3) No coasting. Either on the brakes or on the gas at every point on the track
4) Use ear plugs
5) Stop comparing your practice times to a racer's race times.

There is more, so much more but most people cannot learn these things out of a book nor by reading a message board.

Track days are about track time and improving the skill set.
Racing is about competition and honing the acquired skills.

Most racers don't run race times in practice. My race times are always faster than my practice times by at least 1.5-2.0 seconds per lap.

Successful racing requires a focus that is hard to achieve/maintain during practice. But once you are comfortable/relaxed/focused enough to drop into that "Zone" you will discover that you have achieved things that you once considered beyond your abilities.
Great advise! I don't have much to compare myself to for improvement other than the lap times... I do look at how smooth I feel which once again is subjective and hard to analyze other than how I feel comfort wise. To be honest I do not hardly ever feel comfortable when I am pushing the bike or myself to my limits.

I did spend some time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Harris Hill just going about 75% and just trying to pick the same lines over and over and over again, same exact breaking point, same speed, and it worked. I got much more comfortable and went faster as i started pushing past my breaking points and carrying more corner entry speed.

I just need more seat time, the more I ride the better I feel on the bike. I still get bounced all over the place but that I can work out with money and some suspension work I do think it makes me slower though, upsets me and then that upsets the bike even more which in turn makes me slow down.

Thanks man, Tom thanks too!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Gonzo talked a bit about not blipping... just downshifting as fast as possible and letting the slipper do the work. That's definitely not in my repertoire...
Modulating the clutch is the key here. Hey will have to speak on that himself but it is something that I got from both he and ty, when doing it correctly you can control the skid with out the slipper and not blip. so again the key is to modulate the clutch. T9 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a perfect example of where this works and time can be gained.

Advertisement