MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

TWS (Texas World Speedway) Lap Times - An excersise in telling me how much I stink!

So I pulled out my iPhone and looked at the lap timer data today. Ask me why I didn't do this until now and I wont be able to answer you. My buddy was timing me on the ground and he was saying 2:19 / 2:18... but the lap timer shows 2:10 / 2:14 ish...

Looking at the CMRA results from TWS (Texas World Speedway) I would have been in the top 10 based on lap times that is.... My question is how in the heck do you drop 15 seconds to get to the race pace?

I was pushing it pretty hard to get to 2:10, well mostly worked on turn 1 (not hitting the brakes until about 1 second after I was comfortable (aka I counted to 1 after my marker)... had some close in the pants calls ) . Then worked on 3, 4, 5 ,6 (basically just taking 3 much later and staying on the gas longer to 4, then hard acceleration up to 5, and busting it on 6 (which was hard cause of the oil and subsequent cones). I was just as fast and much faster than most through 7, 8 (kinda freaks me out cause I saw Candie crash there and I always think about that for some reason, had to block it out and it worked, I must have picked up at least 2 seconds there), 8a, 9 ......

So where in the do you get 15 seconds from? Am I really just that slow? I dropped 19 seconds from last trip to TWS (Texas World Speedway) and this trip but it was obvious I was slowing up and stuff where others where busting it.

I just don't know, another 15 seconds is A LOT!!!!!

Last edited by Timme'; 08-14-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Timme' is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermediate lap times for TWS (Texas World Speedway) agentorange Taking it to the Track 28 07-05-2011 09:38 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ride Smart Level 2 lap times.. Silent636 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 35 02-10-2010 04:42 PM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Lap Times? Robert95z Taking it to the Track 52 07-16-2007 12:57 PM
I need your lap times from TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! mammothmc Taking it to the Track 49 09-16-2006 10:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Standing timers are usually off (most of the time it's the other direction though- usually it's in your favor, not slower). Your optical lap timer is the best indicator unless you have an inductive pickup (like the CMRA devices) with a timing loop.

By my observation, you could have picked up a lot of time between 3-8. 5-6 you did pretty well with, but there was a lot more corner speed for you to gain in 3 to 4 and 6 through 8.

To whit, 2:10 is not slow at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
OJgsxr

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
Smoother and practice. You will learn to brake later and harder but if you dont do it smoothly it will end up costing you time because your corner speeds will be slower. Proper gears is a way I dropped around 2-3 seconds as well as proper shifting, no blip shifting (learned that in Pridmores school). so there is a lot of stuff to continue to work on, it just takes time and work but you will get there.

PS I am not exactly fast myself I only run 1:59s there, last time i clocked myself, but those things are how I dropped from 2:04 down to 1:59.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJgsxr View Post
Smoother and practice. You will learn to brake later and harder but if you dont do it smoothly it will end up costing you time because your corner speeds will be slower. Proper gears is a way I dropped around 2-3 seconds as well as proper shifting, no blip shifting (learned that in Pridmores school). so there is a lot of stuff to continue to work on, it just takes time and work but you will get there.

PS I am not exactly fast myself I only run 1:59s there, last time i clocked myself, but those things are how I dropped from 2:04 down to 1:59.
I tell you what the slipper clutch made a huge difference in my riding! I have just now started to get out of the habit of blipping the dang throttle.... I seem to exit the corners really fast, I am able to get on the gas way early cause I am usually pretty slow on entry... but I have to play nice with the throttle on the way out or I run wide.... when I hit the corners fast I have lots of gear/power on the exits... In fact out of the corners is where I tend to hang... I get smoked on the braking
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Standing timers are usually off (most of the time it's the other direction though- usually it's in your favor, not slower). Your optical lap timer is the best indicator unless you have an inductive pickup (like the CMRA devices) with a timing loop.

By my observation, you could have picked up a lot of time between 3-8. 5-6 you did pretty well with, but there was a lot more corner speed for you to gain in 3 to 4 and 6 through 8.

You know I think I need someone to show / tell me how much to give it where though 4 and 7.... that is where I get smoked I think. Seems like most go through 7 heavier on the gas. I barely touch the brakes and you guys smoked me when you came buy.... You said you were running like 1:54's right (with the prov nov guy). 8 - front straight I hung with you guys though and then you were gone after turn 1 again.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
ALWAYS BLIP THE THROTTLE WHEN DOWNSHIFTING!!!!!! or you'll end up like tom with a slippimg clutch
Old 08-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

oh and lines and cornerspeed, thats how the laptimes drop
Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
ALWAYS BLIP THE THROTTLE WHEN DOWNSHIFTING!!!!!! or you'll end up like tom with a slippimg clutch
I thought the purpose of a slipper clutch was no blipping?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
I thought the purpose of a slipper clutch was no blipping?
no the purpose of the slipper is so that the back tire doesnt lock up when releasing the clutch. by blipping you put less of a load on the clutch which makes it last longer
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

also it allows multiple downshifts at a time by slipping the clutch so that your motor doesnt blow. which is still bad for it
Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
no the purpose of the slipper is so that the back tire doesnt lock up when releasing the clutch. by blipping you put less of a load on the clutch which makes it last longer
huh... I have been trying to teach myself to NOT blip the thing which took a while....
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
ROADandTRACK

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

HUH? On a Ninja250 maybe.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
If I dont blip the throttle when downshifting, my end will dance around.

Why did whats his name say not to blip the throttle???
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
maxgs

Member Garage

Because he has a slipper.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
maxgs

Member Garage

Gonzo talked a bit about not blipping... just downshifting as fast as possible and letting the slipper do the work. That's definitely not in my repertoire...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Why put extra stress on your clutch if you don't have to?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

I have only gone through one clutch in the entire 6 years of racing. And that was on an sv that was pumped up to the max. Blown motors and worn out clutches are both rider errors not mechanical for the most part
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Quote:
Gonzo talked a bit about not blipping... just downshifting as fast as possible and letting the slipper do the work. That's definitely not in my repertoire...
I will have to try this, my bike has a slipper, maybe I was downshifting too slowly which made the rear end sway back and forth?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
I will have to try this, my bike has a slipper, maybe I was downshifting too slowly which made the rear end sway back and forth?
Talk to Gonzo first... please.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #20
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote: