MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #41
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
No body is really intrested. I pleaded with this man for 2 years to let supermotos have there day. And look what happens NOBODY EXCEPT 3 SIGN UP. NOt worth the effort would you say??

It's worth it if you are trying to BUILD a business from nothing.

I'd think 3 is a good start for supermotos in Houston as a first event given the only real representation was a few forum posts with no real details except 'PM me' or 'PM so and so'.

I sent a link to the tracks' site to a friend and he said.. "this is nothing but cars... even when you click on the bikes/riders part"

So, yeah. I'd say that 3 is a solid start with that advertising budget.

Have the event, and pics/videos and lots of excited forum posts and you have something concrete to build on. AKA FREE advertising!

You can't build a business on false starts. Just sayin'.

Heck, treat it like a .com enterprise.. Almost all of them operate at a loss until they can build up their business.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motard Day - 8/16/09 FastLine Events, Meets and Rides 4 08-13-2009 04:43 AM
IT OFFICIAL, ANOTHER MOTARD DAY @ GSS FastLine Taking it to the Track 114 08-09-2008 08:26 AM
MAY 3rd MINI/MOTARD DAY EARLY REGISTRATION FastLine Taking it to the Track 0 04-22-2008 07:40 AM
May 3rd Mini Motard Day at GSS Update texastrackdays Taking it to the Track 2 04-21-2008 08:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

$1300 is his cost if the track is not otherwise rented. If Buck can get 20 riders at $175 for MSRH, then surely you guys can get 20 guys at GSS for $100 each. There just aren't that many Motard guys out there yet.

An open track, like Oak Hill, with an ambulance on sight, with 8 hours less drive time, and no race license requirement, is sure to attract a crowd if marketed right (CMRA, MH, etc...). Get with the Rentmyninja guys and have 6 rental bikes, let the minis run with motards on a non-Katy / non-CMRA weekend, and let all size bikes come and you'll get attendance in the 50 - 60 range and have a blockbuster day.

Sure, Motards are the focus at that track, and that WILL happen thanks to your hard work and I really hope to see big events there in the future. But with such a small number of motard enthusiasts ready to hit the track, let the "regulars" on their big bikes foot the bill while the motards get up to speed.

Just an opinion, not saying this has even a remote chance of helping things happen.

Also, I was coming out, but never "registered". Didn't know I had to.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #43
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

One further thought. I will front David his "hard" costs up front in non-refundable cash to make it happen next time, with a few conditions. It has to be a bike only day...no cars...it's run what ya brung format, I can help market it, and it's for motards, but minis, and big bikes are welcome to help make ends meet.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #44
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I think you all have very valid points. I feel like it is worthy of my time and effort, even if it doesn't get off of the ground. I really want o see it happen.

In my conversation with David yesterday, his goal is to have bike only days, split between SS and motards. This is a classic, build it and they will come effort.

I am in no way defending David, as I really wanted to run tomorrow, but there was some confusion between David, Wes, and myself as to who actually was doing what. Ultimately, not enough car guys signed up, and David didn't have the extra insurance and ambulance in place to support this day. Once Wes got sick, David assumed things were off, not knowing that I was carrying the torch.

Next month things should get going on the right foot.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #45
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Next month things should get going on the right foot. If any of you guys want to contact David regarding any of this, feel free to call him and share your opinion.

On a side note, I am NOT GSS staff, not on his payroll, and stand to gain nothing out of this other than a place to ride for me and my tarded friends. There is a need to be filled, and I stepped up. Don't shoot the messenger.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #46
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 560 Supermoto, Ktm 450 supermoto
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto
A whole wharehouse full..

Click Click BOOM
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #47
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
In my conversation with David yesterday, his goal is to have bike only days, split between SS and motards. This is a classic, build it and they will come effort.
i think this might be the best idea to get this off the ground initially and i dont see how it hurts him. i know plenty of ss people on this site that would ride gss for $100.

I know its still baby steps, but if it could ever get on the oak hill level and pay $75 for a day on an open track whenever i would be all over that

im still game for riding out there, and Wes your work on this is awesome !
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #48
mcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Also, just so you guys know, David didn't cancel this event because of the bikes, but it was the car guys that failed to sign up, causing this.
Kind of curious that the email he sent out stated that the event was cancelled due to heat, yet he said the event was cancelled due to lack of interest. Why not just come out and say the event was cancelled due to lack of interest?

I can see his perspective though, if only 3 bikes, and not enough cars show up, it is not worth the time. As is with anything new though, the first few events will probably have a light attendance. Especially since there is no advertising for it.

I am all for this happening, and will be there helping in any way possible. But like it was already mentioned, this can only happen a couple of times before people are not willing to make arrangements for an event, that is likely to be cancelled at the last minute.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #49
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
Kind of curious that the email he sent out stated that the event was cancelled due to heat, yet he said the event was cancelled due to lack of interest. Why not just come out and say the event was cancelled due to lack of interest?

I was thrown by this too, but reconciled it in my head with... the heat being the cause of the lack of interest.

Gotta stay sane somehow.

blaming the economy would have been too easy.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #50
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
One further thought. I will front David his "hard" costs up front in non-refundable cash to make it happen next time, with a few conditions. It has to be a bike only day...no cars...it's run what ya brung format, I can help market it, and it's for motards, but minis, and big bikes are welcome to help make ends meet.

CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #51
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
why dont yall sign up with LSTD for their Sept. 4 event at MSR Cresson. they are running the 1.3 mi track for the street guys. and in my honest opinion makes for a much more interesting course with all the elevation changes. i know its a haul, but you guys will be driving home grinning from ear to ear. i promise you that ! plus, Macman might even share where the secret BBQ spot is for the ride home. you cant beat that with a stick. a full day of tardin on a killer track and sum of the best BBQ in the area for a full belly on the ride home. brings back memories. i think my mouth started watering just thinkin about it
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #52
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Good call Jody. That sounds like a good time for sure. I think everyone just wants a close track that we can all go practice/play on once a month or soo. You pretty much have to set aside a whole weekend to do these out of town events and if anything unexpected happens, you're a ways from home. That is the kicker for me, but then again, I'm just a trackday junkie and not a racer like you guys.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #53
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
Good call Jody. That sounds like a good time for sure. I think everyone just wants a close track that we can all go practice/play on once a month or soo. You pretty much have to set aside a whole weekend to do these out of town events and if anything unexpected happens, you're a ways from home. That is the kicker for me, but then again, I'm just a trackday junkie and not a racer like you guys.
i dont really see why u think u have to be a racer to drive 3-4 hrs to go ride ? riding is riding. u guys are really short changing urselves with that close minded attitude about traveling a short distance to tracks. obviously u arent a true junky, cause if u were... u wouldnt even hesitate. i use to do them in one day all the time. id leave early in the mornin around 4am. get there,ride all day. then drive home. id make it home by 11pm. thats not a whole weekend in my book
Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #54
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I had to miss this GSS day due to family obligations. Looks like it was a non-event this go around anyway though. Kudos to all that tried to make it happen.

I love GSS on a tard. Fun as . I wish I could just buy a membership there like I did at Katy and run as long as the track was open. I would bet others would buy an open membership like that as well.

That said, I am going to reshuffle all kinds of at work to try to make the LSTD track at Cresson on the 1.3. I ran that on a XR100R motard in F7 with TMGP last year and still grin thinking about the fun I had. On a 450 tard, I figure it will be VERY close to a crack fix.

For $100 bucks at Cresson? Nice track, nice facilities, even nice, high octane gas at a real live gas station right there you can slide your card into and fill up. That's the deal of the year IMHO. I plan on driving up late Thursday, riding and being home Friday night. Not a long weekend.

Freaking A, if you have a tard, you'd be dim witted to miss this if you can reshuffle work and please the war department at home to go.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #55
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i dont really see why u think u have to be a racer to drive 3-4 hrs to go ride ? riding is riding. u guys are really short changing urselves with that close minded attitude about traveling a short distance to tracks. obviously u arent a true junky, cause if u were... u wouldnt even hesitate. i use to do them in one day all the time. id leave early in the mornin around 4am. get there,ride all day. then drive home. id make it home by 11pm. thats not a whole weekend in my book

Cresson is a kick track. I know it's worth it as I've made that drive several times.
What I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a home town track to play around on. It would also be about $200/day cheaper for me by the time you factor in track fees and fuel. That does'nt even count the money I loose by taking off a friday/monday to make those dates.
Just saying it would be nice to have another option once in a while.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #56
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto

The idea is to have something close so it dont drive people bankrupt. And yes most of the tard guys around here are weekend warriors and wana be pro racers. But reality hits for most working people with family and responsabilty issues. I had my road racing days and traveled back and forth across this place we call usa and i got tired of all the traveling. It gets old and expensive.
It is a matter of money for all of us i would assume. So GSS is all we got and should make use of it. But again its going to take more than 3 signing up for the day..
Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #57
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
... But again its going to take more than 3 signing up for the day..

He isn't going to get it without committing to it.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #58
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto

Say again??
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #59
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
Cresson is a kick track. I know it's worth it as I've made that drive several times.
What I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a home town track to play around on. It would also be about $200/day cheaper for me by the time you factor in track fees and fuel. That does'nt even count the money I loose by taking off a friday/monday to make those dates.
Just saying it would be nice to have another option once in a while.
i hear ya Tom... but yall are asking for a "perfect world" scenario. and we all know there is no such thing. trust me, id love to see that happen as well. but judging by GSS's sketchy history and false promises... id be quite surprised if yall ever get anything solid goin. david is GSS's own worst enemy and unfortunately he's the owner and calls the shots. so all i have to say is good luck !
Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #60
crawl

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
He isn't going to get it without committing to it.
Quote:
Say again??
I think what he's saying is there are probably people waiting in the wings, like myself, who are interested but not going to attend the first events. I'm debating another bike purchase, and trying to decide between street / track / supermoto for a second bike. If these events get good feedback it will probably make my decision.

I understand his reason for canceling, and august probably isn't the best month to start this up with the heat, but if an event or two goes off, and everyone has fun, I bet I'm not the only one shopping for a SM bike.
Old Bikes: 2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 / 11 Triumph Tiger 800XC / 06 Ducati Monster S2R1000 / 04 BMW R1150GS ADV / 06 Ducati Multistrada / 04 Honda CBR1000RR / 02 Triumph Speed Triple / 96 Suzuki RF600R / 89 Kawasaki EX500 / 94 Suzuki GS500
crawl is offline   Reply With Quote