MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #41
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Depending on who you talk to, you either steer with the pegs or you steer with the bars.

Ty Howard says to forget steering with the bars you steer with the pegs.

Keith Code has a motorcycle built with solid bars to prove that you CAN'T steer with the pegs.

Take your pick on this issue.

Also, lets be clear as to what we're talking about here: are we discussing mid-corner corrections or initial turn in? Your initial turn in may require a push on the bars to get the bike to go from bolt-upright to almost dragging a clip-on. However, once the bike is on its side, subtly adjusting your body position/weight balance (aka steering with the pegs) might be enough to affect a mid-corner correction.

Am I still being clear?
What is your source on the Ty comment...the forget the bars use the pegs one?

Just curious.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Italians and lean angle Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-05-2012 04:55 PM
so u think u got lean angle ? jodyhudson General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-20-2009 07:53 AM
How's my lean angle/form? Comments? NorthHoustonGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-30-2008 03:10 PM
SICK LEAN ANGLE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-20-2008 02:29 AM
world record lean angle! 04RSVR Taking it to the Track 35 02-29-2008 07:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
What is your source on the Ty comment...the forget the bars use the pegs one?

Just curious.
errrr...I mispoke. That wasn't Ty, it was Larry Myers who said that.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #43
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
My bike is going slow, I want it to go fast. Change the bike?
Put someone else on it.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #44
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
errrr...I mispoke. That wasn't Ty, it was Larry Myers who said that.
Yea, Larry never used the handlebars. Thats why hes so fast.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #45
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
Are you weighting the foot pegs at all? I'm by NO MEANS an expert or even know very much, I just know what I learn from my own mistakes....I was never heavily weighting the pegs...& then I was lectured by a racer I respect greatly & he was talking to me about weighting the pegs. Seemed to help me when using my handlebars wasn't enough in a turn if I found myself running wide or wanted to lean more. I'm even lighter then you are, too. I don't think you can steer completly using the pegs, but it sure helped when I started focusing on weighting them more.
Yes...weight the pegs for sure. But there comes a point, when weighting the pegs isn't enough. Fast people use other methods to steer combined with weighting the pegs. Slow people might tell you otherwise. But honest fast guys, won't.

As always...this is for me.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #46
JDuc

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 Ducati 749R
2002 Ducati 900SS
SV650 Track Bike

I'd also like to chime in on the pressure on those tires. From my personal experience, it's too high.

I have been running the 2CTs for a while now and find that on the track, 26 cold is a better pressure. I know it seems extremely low, but you'll notice the bike plants better. Take the temperature when it's hot and you'll find it will be at 30ish.

30 cold and you're running @ 34+, which will cause problems.

Something else to try playing with.

You can run a lot lower pressure on the track than you think initially.
JDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #47
hotsauce
It's like butter baby!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2005 GSX-R 1000 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Wouldnt more pressure on the bars INCREASE lean angle? If Im turning right and push the right handle bar forward, that increases my lean....

Whoops, let me clarify. Since my last post this has already been commented, but I was referring to when you apply more and more pressure on the bars, that a problem you will run into is a progressive decrease in the amount of lean angle available. You asked if increasing your lean angle by counter steering would upset the bikes traction and handling. When too much or too rapid a steering input at speed is applied, you could potentially wash the front as the contact patch is narrowed with increases in lean angle.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #48
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuc View Post
I'd also like to chime in on the pressure on those tires. From my personal experience, it's too high.

I have been running the 2CTs for a while now and find that on the track, 26 cold is a better pressure. I know it seems extremely low, but you'll notice the bike plants better. Take the temperature when it's hot and you'll find it will be at 30ish.

30 cold and you're running @ 34+, which will cause problems.

Something else to try playing with.

You can run a lot lower pressure on the track than you think initially.
Dang thats really low Ill do it after I see you do it
I will definetly experiment with tire pressures though, thanks!
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #49
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I just put the bike on auto-pilot for the more difficult turns.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Depending on who you talk to, you either steer with the pegs or you steer with the bars.

Ty Howard says to forget steering with the bars you steer with the pegs.

Keith Code has a motorcycle built with solid bars to prove that you CAN'T steer with the pegs.

Take your pick on this issue.

Also, lets be clear as to what we're talking about here: are we discussing mid-corner corrections or initial turn in? Your initial turn in may require a push on the bars to get the bike to go from bolt-upright to almost dragging a clip-on. However, once the bike is on its side, subtly adjusting your body position/weight balance (aka steering with the pegs) might be enough to affect a mid-corner correction.

Am I still being clear?
Crystal Clear! I am ok using the bars for corner entry. I think I am getting some pretty good ideas now.

If I am consistently using the bars to hold a lean angle in a turn in which there is a constant radius and I have a constant speed then I should try to weight the pegs more to lessen the force on the bar.

If I am in a turn leaned over and the radius is decreasing, I might have to push on the bars more to lean more if weighting the pegs isn't enough.

Next question: Does anyone go to the extent to put almost all of their weight on the inside peg leaving the outside foot basically just touching the peg?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #51
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
Are you weighting the foot pegs at all? I'm by NO MEANS an expert or even know very much, I just know what I learn from my own mistakes....I was never heavily weighting the pegs...& then I was lectured by a racer I respect greatly & he was talking to me about weighting the pegs. Seemed to help me when using my handlebars wasn't enough in a turn if I found myself running wide or wanted to lean more. I'm even lighter then you are, too. I don't think you can steer completly using the pegs, but it sure helped when I started focusing on weighting them more.
Can you explain a little of what the "expert" said?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #52
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I just put the bike on auto-pilot for the more difficult turns.
A guy on an sv tried that in front of me in turn three of TWS (Texas World Speedway) once didnt work so well
Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #53
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post

If I am consistently using the bars to hold a lean angle in a turn in which there is a constant radius and I have a constant speed then I should try to weight the pegs more to lessen the force on the bar.
Incorrect. If you're at maintenance throttle (aka constant speed) in a constant radius turn you shouldn't have to do any mid-corner correction. Once the initial lean angle is set, the bike (when properly setup) should indefinitely hold that exact arc. If you're having to push on the bars it means there's something amiss with the suspension, you're not actually at a constant speed, or your doing something weird on the bike. Like.....possiblly leaning AGAINST the turn? Just some things to think about.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement