MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
texasyankee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

These discussions are classic Socratic method. One question always leads to another question.

If you are running wide at the exit, you need a different reference point to know when the turn is finished and when to start the left hander. There are three or four cones that mark the edge of the track where a lane from the banking comes to join the road course.

I keep looking over my right shoulder until I see the far right cone. Looking that way keeps me tight to the inside curb. Its the old idea that you go where you look. If you look at the left side of the track the bike will drift to the left. When I feel parallel to the right side of the track and pointed to the cone, the turn is finished and I flop to the left. I then see the left curbing on turn 11 and can see the left side of the right curbing on turn 11 and aim for that.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Italians and lean angle Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-05-2012 04:55 PM
so u think u got lean angle ? jodyhudson General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-20-2009 07:53 AM
How's my lean angle/form? Comments? NorthHoustonGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-30-2008 03:10 PM
SICK LEAN ANGLE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-20-2008 02:29 AM
world record lean angle! 04RSVR Taking it to the Track 35 02-29-2008 07:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce View Post
Naturally when you apply pressure to the bars to make steering changes whether mid corner or not, you are going to affect the bikes grip. The more pressure applied to the bars, results in a decrease in lean angle, thus reducing contact patch and ultimately your amount of traction available.

In regards to bad habits, making steering adjustments when presented with a decreasing radius turn would be necessary. However, referring back to the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and in turns in general it sounds like your approach and or line is maybe a bit off. Making mid turn steering adjustments in theorey and in practice is not a great habit to get into.Your line selection and speed of entry will dictate whether you need to make those mid corner changes, hopefully you can find a line that will not call for any changes mid corner. If your current line for this turn results in you buffing up the entry to the next turn, maybe a new line selection would behoove you. As far as your drifting out habit for that turn, it sounds like maintaining a consistency with the amount of pressure on the bars will help keep the bike on the line you've selected.
Wouldnt more pressure on the bars INCREASE lean angle? If Im turning right and push the right handle bar forward, that increases my lean....

In regards to the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Jeff from ridesmart said my line is fine through there. I think I just explained the situations terribly. When going thru the carousel, I maintain the inside radius all the way through the turn until it is time to pick it up and drop it over for the next turn. In that particular situation, I just notice I am pushing the bar forward to maintain the line.

In the decreasing radius turn, I find I am gradually applying more forward force to the bar to achieve a greater lean angle.

Are you or are you not supposed to use a push on the bar to turn more( greater lean angle)?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
These discussions are classic Socratic method. One question always leads to another question.
Im trying to find a way to present it in a conclusive manner, keyword trying. Its hard for me to explain though.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #24
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Raise the rear or lower the front. Assuming you have the correct springs and sag set.

Or it could be as simple as "go faster".
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I push on the inside clip on all the time. When you start picking up the pace, you have to...if you are trying to haul .

I am of the opinion that this weighting the pegs only....is bullshit. It takes more.

When I start running wide....and dont want slow down...i countersteer and look farther through the turn.

Just my humble .02.

Be careful though....countersteering too hard...too far in the corner...will make the front end want to tuck....FOR ME.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #26
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Im trying to find a way to present it in a conclusive manner, keyword trying. Its hard for me to explain though.
Not meant as a criticism. Its the best way to learn (except for practice). Ask questions, get answers, ask more questions.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
On the heavier bikes on the track(busa) I would start on the peg, press down further and always need to push on the levers to get all the way over.

The lighter bikes I've been on required much less effort to take the same corners and I haven't been at a pace where I required pushing on the clip ons.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I push on the inside clip on all the time. When you start picking up the pace, you have to...if you are trying to haul .

I am of the opinion that this weighting the pegs only....is bullshit. It takes more.

When I start running wide....and dont want slow down...i countersteer and look farther through the turn.

Just my humble .02.

Be careful though....countersteering too hard...too far in the corner...will make the front end want to tuck....FOR ME.
Awesome answer, just what I was looking for
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #29
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
On the heavier bikes on the track(busa) I would start on the peg, press down further and always need to push on the levers to get all the way over.

The lighter bikes I've been on required much less effort to take the same corners and I haven't been at a pace where I required pushing on the clip ons.
Thanks Cali! Im on a lighter bike but I also dont weigh much .

You planing on 3090 anytime soon?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I think so. I am at maintenance throttle though. Do you push on the bars to get more lean angle? What Im getting is that its normal to push on the bars to get the bike to lean more right?

Pushing in the inside bar does increse lean angle. A motorcycle thats at maintenance throttle should hold its cornering arc and lean angle with no steering inputs. Therefore if you're having to turn the bike back in while in a constant radius turn you're either NOT at maintenance throttle.......or you're adding steering inputs you're not thinking about. With particular regards to the Carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway), you're likely standing the bike up too soon.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302

Last edited by Chubby Racer; 08-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #31
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Same turn in + same lean angle + more speed will make me run wide. Therefore pushing a bit will increase lean angle and keep me on the line without decreasing speed. I counter steer all the time through the carousel.

I don't understand what you are saying popo?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

I don't understand what you are saying popo?
I thought it was pretty clear: if you're not holding your turning arc (aka "staying on your line") it means you're either not at maintenance throttle or you're somehow steering the bike.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #33
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

What about too much speed? That won't make you get off your line?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #34
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
At lean angle X and Speed Y the bike will hold arc Z.

Set the bike to lean angle X, carry speed Y+10 and the bike will hold an arc Z+something. A wider arc than Z.

So really you're not "getting off your line" you just didn't set the correct lean angle to begin with. Assuming that at the increased speed you still desired to follow the same arc you did at the lower speed.

CMRA #302
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #35
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Geometry F@^#&Ride Smart THINK IT!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
At lean angle X and Speed Y the bike will hold arc Z.

Set the bike to lean angle X, carry speed Y+10 and the bike will hold an arc Z+something. A wider arc than Z.

So really you're not "getting off your line" you just didn't set the correct lean angle to begin with. Assuming that at the increased speed you still desired to follow the same arc you did at the lower speed.[/QUOT
FROM THE OP:
This is true. I find it very easy to only use the pegs to steer in at moderate to spirited speed. When im really trying to push it through a corner though I find it almost impossible to acheive the angle X I need without pushing on the bar. SO, I wanted to know if bar inputs will eventually make the front wash out. Cdill answered yes its ok but yes it might make the front wash out if done with to much force.

Everyone else is saying that they dont have to use bar inputs.

SO my next question is how are you achieving these lean angles without using the bars when your pushing a fast lap?

AND How are you increasing your lean angle in decreasing radius turns without using the bars when your pushing a fast lap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Geometry F@^#&Ride Smart THINK IT!!!
Geometry people think about it?
or
Its geometry people, think about it?
hahahaa
Sorry, I had to
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #37
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
That would be my question 3. Coming into a turn hot but still not at that "limit" of the bike. This is another example when I use bar inputs..
Am I gonna eat doing this
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #38
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
FROM THE OP:
This is true. I find it very easy to only use the pegs to steer in at moderate to spirited speed. When im really trying to push it through a corner though I find it almost impossible to acheive the angle X I need without pushing on the bar. SO, I wanted to know if bar inputs will eventually make the front wash out. Cdill answered yes its ok but yes it might make the front wash out if done with to much force.

Everyone else is saying that they dont have to use bar inputs.

SO my next question is how are you achieving these lean angles without using the bars when your pushing a fast lap?

AND How are you increasing your lean angle in decreasing radius turns without using the bars when your pushing a fast lap?

Depending on who you talk to, you either steer with the pegs or you steer with the bars.

Ty Howard says to forget steering with the bars you steer with the pegs.

Keith Code has a motorcycle built with solid bars to prove that you CAN'T steer with the pegs.

Take your pick on this issue.

Also, lets be clear as to what we're talking about here: are we discussing mid-corner corrections or initial turn in? Your initial turn in may require a push on the bars to get the bike to go from bolt-upright to almost dragging a clip-on. However, once the bike is on its side, subtly adjusting your body position/weight balance (aka steering with the pegs) might be enough to affect a mid-corner correction.

Am I still being clear?

CMRA #302
Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:

Geometry people think about it?
or
Its geometry people, think about it?
hahahaa
Sorry, I had to

What I mean is, if the bike is doing one thing and you want another, change the bike.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post

What I mean is, if the bike is doing one thing and you want another, change the bike.
My bike is going slow, I want it to go fast. Change the bike?

CMRA #302

Advertisement