MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
ChrisGo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Lean Angle

Had a quick question concerning lean angle. Going into a decreasing radius turn or something like the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway), I am pushing on the right bar to maintain my line, lean more, etc. I feel like I am upsetting the front suspension, etc. Is this the right way?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Italians and lean angle Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-05-2012 04:55 PM
so u think u got lean angle ? jodyhudson General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-20-2009 07:53 AM
How's my lean angle/form? Comments? NorthHoustonGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-30-2008 03:10 PM
SICK LEAN ANGLE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-20-2008 02:29 AM
world record lean angle! 04RSVR Taking it to the Track 35 02-29-2008 07:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

How are your arms? Stiff or loose? Also, have you had your suspension setup? What tires and what pressure are you running?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
How are your arms? Stiff or loose? Also, have you had your suspension setup? What tires and what pressure are you running?
My arms are loose going into the turn but I use my right arm to push the bar forward but it doesnt bear my weight. My suspension has not been adjusted. I want to get it adjusted but im a 155lbs and from what Ive read, thats around what stock settings are for. Im running pilot powers 2ct front and rear stock sizes both at 30psi cold on the track and 34ish on the street.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Im no track guy, but from what I understand stock suspension settings are shyt.
$25 at Motorcycles Unlimited and it'll feel like a completely different bike!
Best dollar for dollar mod you can do to a bike, IMHO.
Just my $.02

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Im no track guy, but from what I understand stock suspension settings are shyt.
$25 at Motorcycles Unlimited and it'll feel like a completely different bike!
Best dollar for dollar mod you can do to a bike, IMHO.
Just my $.02
Thanks for the advice! Was def gonna have it done at the last trackday but didnt have the cash on me .
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
1slocbr
Banned

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
x10
I think Motorcycles Unlimited only charges $15 and considering it takes about a half hour to do and shop rates for labor are about $65-$85/hr, its a pretty sweet deal.
They must have dropped the price then, which makes it an even better deal!
$15 or $25, its a must in my book.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Im also 155 and I had to change the rear spring, stock was way to stiff.

PM me for details.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
Quote:
x10
I think Motorcycles Unlimited only charges $15 and considering it takes about a half hour to do and shop rates for labor are about $65-$85/hr, its a pretty sweet deal.
they charge $25.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Ask Ty Howard or Larry Myers set up your suspension next trackday. You will fall in love with your bike all over again. Motorcycles Unlimited has also done some of my bikes before.
Screw Larry!!!!

Hiya Launchpad!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Use more pressure on your feet, and less on the bars.

+1 on getting your suspension setup. Talk to John with SCRC about tires. There are too many variables here.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about 2 entirely different scenarios here:

1. A decreasing radius turn

2. The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway)

In a decreasing radius turn, yes, you're going to have to push on the bar on the exit as the turn tightens up.

The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is, for all intents and purposes, a constant radius turn and you shouldn't have to do any mid-corner adjustments. If you ARE having to push on the bars mid corner to hold a line, you're likely placing other steering inputs on the motorcycle such as weighting the outside peg.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

You think it is the suspension or the crankshaft gyros messing with you? How high is your rpm through there?
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

I agree with everyone on getting the suspension setup, I cant wait to get it done .

BUT, no matter what the bike, would my pushing on the bars to achieve more lean angle (not weight but a forward push) upset a bikes suspension responses, front grip, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about 2 entirely different scenarios here:

1. A decreasing radius turn

2. The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway)

In a decreasing radius turn, yes, you're going to have to push on the bar on the exit as the turn tightens up.

The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is, for all intents and purposes, a constant radius turn and you shouldn't have to do any mid-corner adjustments. If you ARE having to push on the bars mid corner to hold a line, you're likely placing other steering inputs on the motorcycle such as weighting the outside peg.
Right on the button.

On a decreasing radius turn I find myself pushing on the bar to get more lean. Is this ok or am I upsetting the bike?

On the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway), my natural tendancy is to drift wide at the exit which blows the entrance of the next turn. So, to maintain an inside line all the way around the carousel and to setup for the next entrance, I find myself pushing on the bar. Is this upsetting the bike?

I gave two scenarios just for example. I find myself doing the same on 3090, etc. I am just making sure im not setting up a bad habit that will get me in trouble.

BTW, I dont put any weight on my bars. I am on the of my feet, slightly off seat, etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
You think it is the suspension or the crankshaft gyros messing with you? How high is your rpm through there?
Anywhere from 10 to 13k, I dont believe it is the moment of inertia produced from the engine making me do it though.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

That slow of a turn at that rpm..it does. Like you said though, it may not be your issue.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
On a decreasing radius turn I find myself pushing on the bar to get more lean. Is this ok or am I upsetting the bike?
If you're at maintenance throttle like you should be, no. And even if it did........do you really have a a choice?

Quote:
On the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway), my natural tendancy is to drift wide at the exit which blows the entrance of the next turn. So, to maintain an inside line all the way around the carousel and to setup for the next entrance, I find myself pushing on the bar. Is this upsetting the bike?
The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a special case. Most people drift wide at the exit, true. However, its because they start standing the bike up too soon to make the transition to the left hander. So your "setting up for the entrance" is actually whats causing you to run wide. In that section you should basically go from the bike laying over on its right side directly over to the left. The solution (and the supposed race line) is to stay "in" the carousel longer than you think is necessary, hug the inside of that turn past where it looks like the left hander opens up, and THEN flip the bike over. With no real uprightness in between.

Does that make sense?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
If you're at maintenance throttle like you should be, no. And even if it did........do you really have a a choice?

The carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a special case. Most people drift wide at the exit, true. However, its because they start standing the bike up too soon to make the transition to the left hander. So your "setting up for the entrance" is actually whats causing you to run wide. In that section you should basically go from the bike laying over on its right side directly over to the left.

Does that make sense?
I think so. I am at maintenance throttle though. Do you push on the bars to get more lean angle? What Im getting is that its normal to push on the bars to get the bike to lean more right?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
hotsauce
It's like butter baby!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2005 GSX-R 1000 (track)

Quote:
I agree with everyone on getting the suspension setup, I cant wait to get it done .

BUT, no matter what the bike, would my pushing on the bars to achieve more lean angle (not weight but a forward push) upset a bikes suspension responses, front grip, etc.

Right on the button.

I gave two scenarios just for example. I find myself doing the same on 3090, etc. I am just making sure im not setting up a bad habit that will get me in trouble.

BTW, I dont put any weight on my bars. I am on the of my feet, slightly off seat, etc.

Naturally when you apply pressure to the bars to make steering changes whether mid corner or not, you are going to affect the bikes grip. The more pressure applied to the bars, results in a decrease in lean angle, thus reducing contact patch and ultimately your amount of traction available.

In regards to bad habits, making steering adjustments when presented with a decreasing radius turn would be necessary. However, referring back to the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and in turns in general it sounds like your approach and or line is maybe a bit off. Making mid turn steering adjustments in theorey and in practice is not a great habit to get into.Your line selection and speed of entry will dictate whether you need to make those mid corner changes, hopefully you can find a line that will not call for any changes mid corner. If your current line for this turn results in you buffing up the entry to the next turn, maybe a new line selection would behoove you. As far as your drifting out habit for that turn, it sounds like maintaining a consistency with the amount of pressure on the bars will help keep the bike on the line you've selected.

Advertisement