MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #301
The Trav
slowpoke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

keep up the awesome work, Zac. You are doing great!
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another racer in need of prayers... tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 41 12-22-2009 09:03 AM
Prayers Needed C.Hern5972 Off Topic 30 04-25-2009 08:53 AM
Prayers needed please Azylum Off Topic 49 10-15-2008 06:02 AM
Prayers Needed SPYDER BITE Off Topic 22 10-13-2008 08:17 PM
Prayers Needed redrocker General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-21-2008 11:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #302
oldman650r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 ninja 650r ---- sold -----
06 gsxr 600
09 ninja 2 fiddy
1991 gsxr ,,1100 plus
2006 wee strom

our CMA chapter is praying for a full recovery , Keep up the great work !!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #303
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000
CRF50 with training wheels

4-8-10

Zac has had an amazing day! First, the dietician said that Zac has gained weight and now weighs 121.8#
Then, by looking at letters on the letter board, Zac told his father and I, "I am nearly deaf in my left ear". We knew he could hear better out of his right ear, but I had no idea that he was "nearly deaf" in his left ear. He also communicated, "I need a toothbrush", and "I need toothpaste". He then spelled out with letters, "What have y'all done with my bronco?" (He did actually spell out yall) The thing is, Zac doesn't have a bronco. He has never had a bronco. When Zac was very young, his dad had a brown bronco. Later on, when the speech therapist was working with him, he spelled out "I believe I have a bronco". I asked him if the bronco was brown and he nodded yes. Is Zac's brain getting this memory messed up? If so, it is the first I have seen since his accident. I told him that his dad had a brown bronco when he was very young and maybe this is the one he remembers.
The speech therapist taped a straw to Zac's left index finger and he was able to point at letters written on a piece of paper. Zac said this was easier than looking at the letters on the canvas that we had been using. The speech therapist also put the speaking valve on Zac and was having him try to say "hey" and
"hi". Zac had a cough and then she asked him to try again, and Zac did it!!! Apparently, when Zac coughed, he cleared the secretions that were on top of his vocal cords and then he could vocalize. She then had him say"me" and he did that as well!!! She had to go get other staff members so that they could rejoice right along with us. Everyone was clapping and telling Zac "great job" and he did that little half smile of his. When Zac does not have secretions on his vocal cords, he can make vocalizations.
After he spoke, the speech therapist asked Zac if he wanted to spell anything else and he nodded yes. He spelled out "red cap". Zac wanted to know when they could start capping his trach with the red cap! When he is ready for that, they place a red "cap" over his trach and he has to breath in and out only through his nose and mouth. This is the step before getting his trach out.
I know this is a long note, but I have one more thing to add about today. Zac and I had just talked with the speech therapist this morning wanting more information about how things would progress as far as him talking and getting the trach out. She stated that the ENT report showed that Zac had secretions over his vocal cords and that seemed to be preventing him from speaking. The Dr. also said that Zac was a high risk for aspiration (choking) because of these secretions. She told Zac and I that if he could clear those secretions, he would be able to vocalize. Zac is not able to cough on his own, it is still just reflex coughing, but thank goodness he coughed while he had the speaking valve on and we got to hear his voice!!! , keep working a miracle in my son You are to be praised!!
Lil Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #304
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

Man I am so glad to hear what is doing for Zac. Miracles do happen.

Keep it up Zac!!!!
Mr.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #305
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

bless Zac.. someone get that man a cheeseburger!!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #306
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Please, please, please keep these great kind of reports coming!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #307
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4/9/10

Heard that the speech therapist came in and worked with Zac and he was able to vocalize a loud, strong sound again! He stood with the standing frame for 15 mins AND THEN another 8 mins. This kid is working so hard!!! I love you Zac

4/11/10

Not such a good post for tonight. Zac is running a temp, but it is controlled by Tylenol. He is coughing quite a bit. There is to be bloodwork done in the morning, but at this point they are thinking he might have pneumonia. He developed an an eye infection and has antibiotic eye drops for that. Please pray for our Zac...

4/12/10

I guess its looking like Zac has pneumonia. His white blood cell count is elevated, he still has a fever, the Dr. ordered a chest xray, and I.V. antibiotics to be started. When I was there with him today, his oxygen level was a little below normal and his heart rate was a little elevated from what it has been lately. He did not have a temp until around 1:00.

Zac has been doing so well lately. I hope this does not set him back too much. He communicated that he did not feel badly during the day today, just not breathing as easily as normal. Talked to the nurse tonight and they may put another PICC lline in for the I.V. antibiotics since he will be on them a while. He is to have speech therapy and physical therapy tomorrow. I know he was really wanting to work hard for both tomorrow.
Just keep up the prayers for our dear Zac and may he bounce right back from this and get to feeling better soon!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #308
the mother

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

I will keep him in my prayer's. He is doing so good . Please keep us updated on Zac. Keep fighting ZAC
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #309
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4/13/10

Zac has the beginning of pneumonia in the right lung. Thank goodness it was caught early and Zac is already responding to the I.V. antibiotics. His white blood cell count is already down from 16 to 11(normal is 3-10) When I got there today, the speech therapist was working with Zac with the speaking valve. I heard him say "I am Zac". She said "say Zac again for me, it wasn't very clear". He said "Zac". She asked him to say I am Zac again, and he did it. I sat down in a chair beside his bed and he turned his head towards me and said, " I love you"!!!! Needless to say, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I left the room later on to talk to a staff member and while I was gone Zac said, "I want to eat, I want to drink, I want to walk". Granted, his speech is not clear, but he is starting to speak a lot more with the speaking valve.
This is an answer to prayer, and I can't wait to see what does next
Old 04-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #310
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4-14

Even with Zac being sick, he is still working hard. I asked him tonight if he could do math and he nodded yes. I asked if anyone had him try math yet and he nodded no. I wrote out 0-9 and started with simple addition, he got them all right. Then we added double digits, easy ones, he got them right. Then we did division, easy ones, and he got them right. I asked him if he remembered his cell phone number and he pointed it out. I asked if he remembered my cell phone number and he pointed it out.
I asked Zac if he realized how great it was that apparently he did not lose his math skills and he nodded yes. I asked him if he realized he could have lost that and he nodded no. I told him it was another blessing!!

4-15

Zac was tired today when it was time for speech therapy, he was not able to vocalize very much today. The speech therapist said that when she works with him next, if he is feeling better she will keep the speaking valve on longer! If the chest xray done today looks better, and if the Dr. is in agreement when he comes next Monday, she will order a swallow study to be done to see if Zac is ready for anything by mouth!!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #311
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

WOW i cant believe I missed this. I sat up reading this for the last hour. I cryed like a kid. I am so happy he is doing so well. He has another prayer now. It is so refreshing to see good things coming from this. I hope and pray for the continued recovery. bless this family, and all those who support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #312
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

You go Zac stick in there 's with you
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #313
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4-17

Zac is still coughing. An xray done on Thurs. showed that his pneumonitis has not cleared up. He is still on I.V. antibiotics for the pneumonitis. We have to wait for more approval from medicaid before he will get more therapy; hopefully we will get that approval soon. Gotta love all the red tape with healthcare...NOT!!!

4-19

UUGH!! I didn't get to spend my Monday with Zac like I usually do, instead it was orientation for my prn job at the hospital. I called and spoke with the nurses who said that poor Zac is coughing a lot and did not sleep well last night :(( Thank goodness the aide that takes really good care of Zac is working tonight and she said she would make sure that he gets his sleeping pill tonight.

via Jenny
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #314
WatersR6
Lets Ride!

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha r6

stand strong zac and keep fighting. prayers sent to him.
WatersR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #315
robj1978
Speed Racer!!!

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha YZF R1 (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)

Dont know him but if he is a fellow track racer i wish him all the best for a good recovery!!!
robj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #316
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

Hold in there is watching over him. Your a great Mom. I will keep my prayer's coming for Zac to make a full recovery. BLESS ALL OF YOU
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #317
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4-20

Zac has red eyes, the left one worse than the right. They have switched to antibiotic ointment for his eyes instead of drops. There is to be a repeat chest xray done on the 22nd. Zac was coughing a lot while we were there today. They have switched his beds, he is no longer in the very top of the line clinitron bed. His new bed is an air flow bed, but not as comfy as the other one.

Julia and I helped Zac send a couple of text messages tonight. He has to point out the words letter by letter and then we text for him because he is not able to do this yet on his cell phone. He is able to control the volume on the remote control with his left index finger as well as the channel button. Medicaid approved more OT and ST, still waiting on approval for PT. The occupational therapist said Zac worked so hard for her today and did some new movements with his right arm today. She had him work on some writing with his left hand since he has better control with his left hand at this time.
I felt the switch of beds was imminent. Medicaid was not covering the expense of the very top of the line bed, and Zac no longer has any open wounds. Zac already communicated that this new bed is not as comfortable as the other bed. Medicaid does not even cover the expense of this new air flow bed, but it is a lower cost that the nursing home is "eating" for Zac. Thank goodness the administrator has a burden for Zac and cares about his needs

4-21

Zac said he did not sleep very well in his different bed :( His eyes are still red, especially his left eye. Zac is doing so well with the remote control for the T.V. He can control the volume, channels, and the mute button with his left index finger. I heard that when the speech therapist was working with him today with the speaking valve, he said "I want to go home".

I know that Zac wants to go home, but he is not ready for that yet. There is still more progress to be made with therapy, and hopefully he will get the trach out in the future. Zac is still sick currently and on I.V. antibiotics. He was still coughing a lot tonight. A repeat chest xray is to be done tomorrow, hopefully it will show improvement
Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #318
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4-22

Zac had all 3 therapies today. In between each one he would point to the bed and I would say, "not yet". After his last therapy, he got to be put back in bed and he was ZONKED. He did not sleep well again last night because of the different bed and was not feeling so hot today. He continues with a lot of coughing that is productive. The chest xray had not been done by the time I had to leave.

via Jenny
Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #319
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Cant believe I hadn't caught this :(

Prayers go out to Zac, and family! Will keep an eye on this...just read the whole thing through, Glad he is out of the coma! It's going to be a long road ahead, but the worst part seems to be over
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #320
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

4-25

The xray showed that Zac still has pneumonitis, although it is clearing up. Zac is gaining weight, he now weighs 125.8#. Zac went to his church again today.

Advertisement