MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #201
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I am hurting for you - very much. A broken or lost limb is nothing compared to someone's mind being so disrupted. It's so hard to deal with - without . Keep your faith that has a plan however this turns out, and He is and will be with you both throughout. I sincerely pray for a recovery and that you and he gain some strength from community's thoughts and prayers.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another racer in need of prayers... tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 41 12-22-2009 09:03 AM
Prayers Needed C.Hern5972 Off Topic 30 04-25-2009 08:53 AM
Prayers needed please Azylum Off Topic 49 10-15-2008 06:02 AM
Prayers Needed SPYDER BITE Off Topic 22 10-13-2008 08:17 PM
Prayers Needed redrocker General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-21-2008 11:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #202
the mother

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

My prayer's go out to that he will put all his healing powers to heal Zac to a full recovery . Please keep us updated. GODSPEED
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #203
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000
CRF50 with training wheels

Thursday 12/3/09

I was able to go to BIR today and be present for his care conference today. The Dr's and therapists are pleased with Zac's increased level of alertness since earlier in the week. He is now on a 3rd neuro stimulator which seems to be helping with his alertness. Zac has been having issues with increased heart rate and blood pressure since his surgery. They are giving him medication to lower his blood pressure and they are monitoring his heart rate. Since his surgery, they have not put him back on a blood thinner and they will be doing a test on Sunday to check for blood clots in his arms and legs. Depending on what this shows, they may leave off the blood thinner since Zac already has the filters above and below his heart. The neurosurgeon came and reprogrammed his shunt valve so that it is not pulling off so much fluid from the brain. It took about 2 min. and is reprogrammed by the use of a magnet. Zac will be watched to see if there are any changes in his alertness. If there are negative changes, the setting will be returned to what it was originally set at. Everything is being done to see that Zac reaches the maximum potential for improvement. We were told today that it does not appear that Zac will progress to the point where his trach can be removed while at BIR. Unless some improvement occurs with his swallowing and management of his secretions, the trach will stay in. This means that our choices for places after discharge from BIR gets narrowed. It would be so wonderful if allowed Zac to get rid of the trach! There are more places that would take him after he leaves BIR if he did not have a trach. I'm asking to work in this area for us.
Zac has still not shown any voluntary movement in his arms or legs. Zac was not able to answer any questions for me today. (with me being 100% sure of his eye movements for responses) He made great eye contact with me, and I did feel that he would have made vocalization if his trach were capped off.
Zac is in a wonderful facility that is taking great care of him. I know they are doing everything in their power to help Zac reach his highest level of recovery. I still pray relentlessly to The higher power that I know is in control of this entire situation. I do pray with tears for my son, asking to take any blessings that may have been for me, and give them to Zac.
Lil Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #204
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

just want to say that i am amazed at how strong u have been. every day that i get on my bike my mom is calling me to make sure that i made it home safe,am i ok. Couldnt imagine how she would react if i was going thru this. u have been through so much with zac and i keep him and all his family in my prayers. Obviously Zac is a strong individual and i know tthat he will pull through this. keep ur head up. IS GREAT!!! Prayers sent
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #205
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

My prayer's are still going out to Zac and all of your family. Please keep us updated on Zac progress . Bless and Godspeed
Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #206
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Saturday 12/5/09

Zac's weight is down from 118 to 115. They seem to have it figured out that if he has high residuals (contents in his stomach)then they hold his feedings for a while. This has prevented episodes of vomiting for a while now; maybe Zac will gain some weight back. They removed the PICC line in his left arm because they felt he did not need it anymore and see it as a door for infection. He is getting a medication through I.V. to help with digestion, so they stuck him in his right hand for the I.V. site. I found out that Zac had to have 2 units of blood after his surgery because he was so anemic. The medicine is working to lower his blood pressure and heart rate. When he was put on the tilt table on Friday, his vital signs were in the normal range.
Immediate prayer requests are for Zac to gain weight and for him to start swallowing consistently and manage his secretions so that his trach can come out. Oh how I pray for him to start swallowing. The respiratory therapist was telling me how many muscles it took for a person to swallow. It was a very large amount; I had never thought of it seeing how we all do this every day without having to think about it. Certain tongue movements must occur which Zac does not have much of at this time. I also pray that would allow Zac to be able to communicate with us again. He has not been able to do this with eye movements since his surgery. Wouldn't it be great if would allow him to swallow and speak?! This is my earnest petition on Zac's behalf
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #207
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

All my prayer's go out for Zac. He is in my prayer's everynight. " Bless" Please keep us updated on his condition GODSPEED
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #208
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Sunday 12/6/09

The posse and i went to go see Zac today at BIR. He was fighting more congestion/secretions today. The respiratory therapist said that they will probably do a chest x-ray tomorrow to make sure another infection is not starting. His left eye has been red since Thursday afternoon, and it is not getting any better; now today his right eye was starting to look red also :(
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #209
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Tuesday 12/8/09

Called and spoke with the nurse to get an update on Zac today. Zac has been given antibiotic drops for his red left eye and the nurse stated in her opinion his eye looked better. Zac's test to check for blood clots came back with no evidence of blood clots in his arms or legs. There was not a chest xray done, so maybe Zac's congestion/secretions have improved. Zac's heart rate continues to be high, so they are going to put a halter monitor on him for 24 hours. The nurse stated that Zac has not been able to answer any questions with eye movements, but watches the T.V. with eyes wide open.
Some days my heart is so burdened that I don't know the right words to pray, but I know that knows my heart, He knows how much I love my son and only want the best for him.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #210
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

My prayer's are still going out for Zac. Also prayer's sent for the family. Please keep us updated
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #211
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Thursday 12/10/09

Found out through reading someone's facebook page that Zac was going to have surgery this morning. BIR was apologetic and assumed that Zac's dad would inform me. Hopefully, this situation will not happen again. Zac had surgery to have the location of his feeding tube changed. Apparently Zac vomited again yesterday; so that along with the fact that he has not tolerated his feedings for a while and his extreme weight loss warrented the surgery. His nourishment will now go into his intestines below the stomach. The Dr. said he should still gain weight with the tube in this location. The reason for Zac's eye being so red was that it was scratched somehow. When Zac went to the vision clinic, the Dr. found a pretty bad corneal scratch. There was suspicion that this occured when someone was putting the ointment in his eyes that he gets daily. The Dr. ordered combination antibiotic/steriod drops to be placed in his eye. His eye did not look any better to me today. Hopefully, the drops will help soon.
Zac finished wearing the halter monitor for the 24 hour period today. Dr. Carlile said that the cardiologist will have to read it and we might not have the results until next week. The neurosurgeon came by today and said that he would return in a week. He is going to keep the shunt draining at the current rate. He is thinking about putting in the bone flap earlier than originally planned. He will not give a date, only that he is thinking about doing it earlier than originally planned. If Zac will be leaving rehab at the end of the month as planned, I want this to occur so that there is less of a risk of injury for Zac if he has to go to a skilled nursing facility. Plus, the pressure in his head needs to be monitored with the bone flap back in because there will most likely be a change.
Dr. Carlile (who is head of the program) stated that Zac is the most fragile patient they have in the entire building. We discussed how he has not stayed medically stable for a period of time longer than about 10 days since his injury. Planning for discharge from BIR will not be easy. There is a great need for prayer that the Lord will continue to lead, guide, and direct in this matter. I will be praying that he could return to the LTAC that he was in before transferring to BIR; there is a slim chance that this could occur. That would be so much better than a skilled nursing facility.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #212
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Friday 12/11/09

Dr. Carman (vision clinic) has taped Zac's eye shut due to the injury to the cornea. If this does not work something more drastic will be considered...stitching it shut. Mom's not very happy that this was most likely caused by someone putting ointment in his eye in the first place.

The search for finding a place for Zac after discharge from BIR is not without its challenges. Even the case manager from Zac's insurance company is helping with finding a place. Zac is considered "medically complex" which makes this (along with his age) difficult. Please pray that will lead us to the right facility and that it will be a good one that can give him the care he needs.

Sunday 12/13/09

Here at BIR with Zac. They have a make shift patch over his left eye today to keep it shut so that it does not dry out. Zac is about to get a bath, so I thought I would do a quick update. There was supposed to be another eye Dr. come yesterday, but they never showed; maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #213
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Good luck and keep the chin up!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #214
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

My prayers are still going out for Zac to have a full recovery and to give his family hope and faith
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #215
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Tuesday 12/16/09

The nurse at BIR said the chest xray came back clear, but Zac's white blood cell count is up so there is an infection somewhere. They did an EKG, but it just showed tachycardia, abnormally rapid heartbeat. There was nothing else significant that showed up on the EKG. The culture on Zac's urine was not back yet, but that might be where the infection is. Please continue to pray for Zac, that will continue to lead, guide, and direct in the discharge plans. I pray for a facility that can provide the care that Zac needs, and I pray for a place close to home.

I forgot to specifically ask for prayer because I also found out that Kindred (the LTAC that he was at before) is coming to eval Zac's medical situation on Monday to determine if they will accept him. We would like for this to occur!!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #216
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

Praye's sent for Zac to mae full recovery GODSPEED
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #217
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have not been reading this thread. I just read it from the beginning. I dont have the word to express the feelings this thread brings out. I read some of it and cliffed some to my wife on the phone. She started crying and had to let me go. I teared up here at work thinking that my love for riding could put my loved ones in your shoes. I will continue to read the updates. I will pray for the both of you tonight.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #218
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Wednesday 12/16/09

Found out that Zac is scheduled for surgery on his eyes next Monday. The Dr. will be implanting gold weights in his eyelids and stitching the corners of his eyes to help keep his eyes lubricated. This is needed because Zac is not blinking well, and his eyes do not close completely. The neurosurgeon came by today and is thinking about doing surgery next week to replace the bone flap. So, potentially Zac might have 2 surgeries next week. It does seem that the roller coaster ride continues for Zac and family. Please pray for Zac and the surgeons, that things will go smoothly and without complications.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #219
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Thursday 12/17/09

Found out today that Zac will only be having one surgery next week. The neurosurgeon will be putting back in his bone flap on Monday at 7:15 in the morning. His recommendation is that the eye surgery be postponed due to the fact that there will be swelling in the eye area after his surgery. Zac should only stay a period of about 23 hours for observation and then return to BIR. The bone flap is to be overnighted from Virginia prior to the surgery. Kindred is coming to eval him tomorrow to see if he can go there after discharge from BIR. Zac's insurance company is not really wanting this, but this would be so much better than having to go to a nursing home. Please pray that Zac's surgery will go well, and that Kindred will accept him as a patient after his discharge, and that Zac's insurance company will agree that he needs to go to an LTAC and not a nursing home.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #220
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Common Zac, you can do it buddy.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement