MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #181
the mother

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

That's really good . is truely with him , I will keep him in my prayer's BLESS
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another racer in need of prayers... tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 41 12-22-2009 09:03 AM
Prayers Needed C.Hern5972 Off Topic 30 04-25-2009 08:53 AM
Prayers needed please Azylum Off Topic 49 10-15-2008 06:02 AM
Prayers Needed SPYDER BITE Off Topic 22 10-13-2008 08:17 PM
Prayers Needed redrocker General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-21-2008 11:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #182
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

That's amazing news.

Prayers sent.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #183
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000
CRF50 with training wheels

Friday 11/20/09

Got a call this morning from Baylor that Zac had an episode of apnea ( not breathing) again while he was awake and they had an MRI/CT scan done yesterday. The scan showed that there is a specific area of Zac's brain that has swelling. This swelling is causing pressure on his brain stem. The neurosurgeon believes this may be causing Zac's apnea. He wants to go into the area of the brain and insert a tube that will be connected to the tubing of Zac's shunt that is already in place. This should allow the fluid to drain into the shunt that is already working.
As you can imagine, there are risks with this surgery. I asked him if he felt this surgery was necessary and he said yes. There is a slight chance that this surgery could improve Zac's condition and there is a chance that it could make it worse. Dr. Carlile recommended this Dr. and I have faith in her. Like everything else that we have faced in this journey, I am giving this to the Lord. I have a good feeling about this Dr. after meeting him and listening to him, and Dr. Carlile recommends him. So far, the Lord has lead and directed us toward facilities and Dr's that seem to have been just what Zac needed at the given time. I am putting my faith in that He is continuing to answer our prayers for guidance and direction in this time. The plan is to move Zac to "big Baylor" on Monday and then surgery will be on Tuesday.
I know sometimes I may put too much of my heart into the notes, but it is almost therapy for me at times. Today, getting to spend time with Zac and observe some of his therapy sessions, it was almost surreal to watch him answer "yes" "no" questions with eye movements. It was not consistent, he became tired at times and his eyes would start to close. BUT, there were those responses that were correct and appropriate and it was like , "Yes! Zac is definitely there!" He knew that he was in Baylor, in Dallas, that it was November, and that it was Friday. He could recognize himself in a picture, Julia and I in a picture, and his friend Derek in a picture. (Derek, it was the Seaworld trip we took and a picture of you and him resting in between races at TWS (Texas World Speedway)) I am concerned, as any parent would be, of their child having surgery. Some of the risks are scarey, and their outcomes are not good. My heart is burdened for my son, and so I am asking for special prayer for the upcoming surgery. All of you have been so faithful to pray for Zac and I know that you will be faithful once again. Bless all of you!!
Lil Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #184
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Please continue to keep us posted - prayers and the best of luck!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #185
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Saturday 11/21/09

Zac established communication using eye movements for "yes" and "no". This is the one step forward. Zac had a period of apnea on Thursday with a CT scan to follow. There is swelling in an area of Zac's brain that is putting pressure on his brain stem; Zac needs surgery to correct this condition. Today Zac threw up and is having loose stools. The respiratory therapist stated that when Zac threw up, he was concerned with the appearance/color of it. He said it appeared the same color of his stool. I asked what color it was and he replied "dark". They tested Zacs emesis (vomit) and his stool () and they both tested positive for blood. So, Zac is bleeding somewhere. Zac's oxygen saturation level dropped on room air, so they put the neck collar/humidifier over his trach with some oxygen as well. Zac's bloodwork also showed that his hemoglobin is low which shows that Zac is losing blood somewhere. There are the three steps backward.
I don't know what the plan is about this. A Dr. is being called on Zac's case and will come by in the morning. When i get to the hospital, I will find out what she said. I do not know if this new development will affect the plans for surgery. I know his blood loss was not significant enough by the time I left today that he required getting blood.
I do know that today was a hard day. Zac did not have the best day today, and neither did Jon Broom. Lori and I talked about what a rollercoaster ride this is and how you get on a "high" from something good happening, and then some set back occurs. This was a hard day for us mothers. Please continue in prayer for Zac and be sure and add Jon and his parents to your prayers tonight. Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #186
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Sunday 11/22/09

Went to visit Zac today with my sister and a mutual friend. It was easy to see that Zac wasn't his usual self; he did not keep his eyes open fully for the length of time that he usually does. Zac had thrown up again today, so his feedings remain on hold. He developed bleeding around his PICC site (type of I.V. that can stay in longer) so they tested his blood and found it was too thin, so his blood thinner was held today. The nurse had said that they had not had any diarrhea today, but as we were leaving they were no longer able to say that. Zac's weight when he arrived at BIR was 118.9, today he weighed 121.5. That is the first time he has been weighed and gained weight! I want to end with a positive, and thank for Zac's weight gain. Tomorrow should bring action, maybe tests, and hopefully answers. Zac's source of bleeding has still not been determined, and neither has his inability to keep feedings( or water and banana flakes) through his G tube down. I will post as soon as I know more. Thank you all for your prayers for Zac!!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #187
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Come on Zac, you can do it.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #188
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Tuesday 11/24/09

I have been told the surgery to relieve pressure on the brain stem will be tomorrow. This is a very delicate surgery that involves risks, and so I again ask for prayer for Zac as well as the surgeon. May 's will be done in this situation.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #189
casey10

Experience: 4 years

good luck man. wishing the best!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #190
Aj01R6
Aj

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha R6

He's in my prayers
Aj01R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #191
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Tuesday 11/24/09

I think FB was having some issues yesterday. I did not get to post yesterday. This morning Zac had a test to check out why he was bleeding, but they did not find any active bleeding in his esophagus or stomach. They seem to think that Zac's vomiting caused irritation and because his blood was so thin, this caused bleeding.

Zac's surgery has been scheduled for 1:00 tomorrow at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. I do hope that all of you have a great Thanksgiving if I don't get a chance to post this later. May you all enjoy family and friends and remember to give thanks to THE ONE who deserves it!

Last edited by Lil Squid; 11-25-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #192
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Wednesday 11/25/09

Zac made it through his surgery. The Dr. was able to put a catheter into the area of the brain that was collecting fliud and connect it to the existing shunt that Zac already had. He is back in his ICU room recovering; he is on the ventilator for now because he is asleep from anesthesia.

We will not know if this will help Zac's cognition until more time passes, nor will we know if this will help with his breathing and vision problems until more time passes. All the surgeon would say is that we will be hopeful that this surgery will help Zac.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #193
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Friday 11/27/09

Well, Zac made it through his surgery that took place on Wednesday. The surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours and the surgeon was able to insert a catheter into the area of the brain (4th ventricle) where fluid was building up and then connect into the existing shunt that was already in place. CT scans showed that the placement of the catheter was good and that excess fliud had already been drained from this area. Zac has had no periods of apnea since the surgery, so hopefully this has been resolved. Zac has not really been keeping his eyes open very much since the surgery, so no communication on Zac's part has occured. When I was with him yesterday and today, I could tell that he made eye contact with me and felt that he heard what I was saying to him. However, his level of responsiveness is not as good. When I saw him at BIR, his face was flushed and his head, neck, shoulders down to his elbows were warm. From his elbows down to his hands, he was cold. His temperature was 100.2. The nurse took it a little later and it was 99.6. Later, his temp was 100.4. I called to check on him(just now) and the nurse said that she gave him some Tylenol, but has not taken his temp. since giving the Tylenol. I know that Zac has had many infections along the way, but would not want to see something so soon after surgery. I am not completely happy with the decision to discharge him back to BIR so soon after major surgery, but am happy that he is in the area where he is closely monitored. I know 's hand is on Zac and that He is in complete control of this situation. I must continue to put my faith and trust in Him!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #194
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

Prayer's sent for Zac. As a parent I really feel your pain. I worry about my daughter on the track ,I just ask to take care of her and her boyfriend whenever they on there bikes. Also my other daughter and son in law. BLESS ZAC WITH GODSPEED
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #195
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Sunday 11/29/09

Found out today that Zac had 2 periods of apnea yesterday and 1 period of apnea today before we left BIR. They have him hooked up to a monitor that attaches to his ear that can detect when he stops breathing and also if his oxygen saturation level drops below a certain level. It still may be too soon to say whether or not the surgery helped with this issue; there is still swelling in the area from the surgery. Zac is still having difficulties tolerating his tube feedings. He is not digesting the feedings well, and has been having significant "residuals" in his stomach. His weight today was back down to 118.2#
A positive thing that is going on with Zac is that he was swallowing today and had less secretions.
It is still baffling to me that Zac is warm (and flushed) about his face, and down to his elbows. From his elbows down to his hands he is cold. He has goosebumps on his forearms, and so we placed a towel over his forearms and hands to warm them up. He used to be warm all the way down to his hands, with the pillowcases usually being damp with perspiration from the back of his arms. Everything about a brain injury is baffling and seems to change almost daily. If it weren't for the Lord giving me strength to get through this day by day, I would be a complete wreck. Thank all of you for your love, support, and prayers for Zac. Tomorrow he should start up with all of his therapies again. We need him to stay strong, stay infection free, and show progress so that he can stay at BIR. Please pray that the apnea will have been taken care of through surgery, and that Zac will start tolerating his feedings so that he can gain weight again and get the nutrition that his body needs.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #196
the mother

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

Prayer's sent for ZAC.Godspeed. Please keep us updated
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #197
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Prayers sent for Zac. be with him and his family.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #198
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

I am in Korea this week, I thought about Zac on the plane ride over and wondered how he was doing. Keep strong, we are all praying for you and Zac! Goodspeed!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #199
Lil Squid
Bond Girl

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4
Ducati GT1000

Tuesday 12-1-09

Dr. Carlile called me today to discuss Zac's latest CT scan of his head. It looks like the shunt is working correctly. There was a small area where the surgery occured that showed blood and air present, but the amounts have decreased since the surgery. She said that when Zac is standing on the tilt table that his heart rate increases. There is a possibility that Zac's shunt (which is now programmable) may be "draining" too much fluid when he is standing, so the neurosurgeon has been contacted to check this out. She said that Zac still has difficulty looking to the left.
There was discussion with the GI Dr. that if Zac did not start tolerating his feedings that they would change the location of his feeding tube past the stomach area. She stated that Zac was digesting his feedings better, so they will wait and watch. She and the dietician are working hard to help Zac gain weight. She also said that Zac had no apnea during the night last night, but that he did while he was up today. She was able to stimulate Zac and get him to take a breath. They are still keeping the monitor on him which detects when he stops breathing and if his oxygen level drops too low.
He has not shown much consistency with answering questions with eye movements since before the surgery.
I pray in earnest for Zac. He has been through so much and I beg to be merciful to him. Zac is deserving of a miracle in his life; I know he would be a good and faithful servant. May answer my prayers...
Old 12-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #200
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Keep the faith still in our prayers!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement