MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Doug Polen's 1:1 School.

I learnt today that they will be in October in Texas. Do you think it is worth it? Is it comparable to Kevin Schwants and/or Ketih Code's school?

http://www.gopolen.com
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do You Remember Doug Henry? Racer997 Taking it to the Track 11 11-18-2009 05:26 AM
doug henry never quits mekrew General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 09-23-2009 11:10 PM
Trying to get ahold of Doug(Dfresh) Solracer Off Topic 5 09-05-2009 04:01 PM
HUGE THANKS TO....DOUG @ BCW Homebrew Off Topic 2 06-16-2007 10:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I've read a glowing review on his school in Cycle world.
Money well spent if you can afford it.
2 way helmet intercoms are used to get actual 1 on 1 instruction while on the track!
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Holy !

Not a bad price! $600 for Barber + what it costs to get there.

Sounds like a really good deal. But everyone will have their subjective opinions about which one is better. My guess is with a smaller group you'll have more seat time.

I'm going to have to look into the Barber class. My guess is it's probably already full.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

Think about this, how many time have Ty won races on these Texas surrounding tracks.... Ummmm maybe 100 + races rite? And how many races or times have this guy been on or in Texas ????? Do the math sir!!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
rc51eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post
Think about this, how many time have Ty won races on these Texas surrounding tracks.... Ummmm maybe 100 + races rite? And how many races or times have this guy been on or in Texas ????? Do the math sir!!!!

+1
IMO spending money on Ty's class is money better spent.
he knows the tracks here better,which is where you'll be riding,i assume.
plus with Ty,nothing will be sugar coated,
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post

Why not do both?

You can always learn something new.
It's probably been a while, but Doug's turned some laps in Texas. Thats where he spent most of his life according to his bio.

http://www.gopolen.com/doug_polen.php

Either way, a rider of that caliber does'nt need 1000 laps on a track to get a feel for it. Just look at Ben Spies.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
No offense to Ty Howard, because we all know of his capabilities, especially here on Tx terf, some around here probably know better than most (those that have raced him).

But seriously........it's fvcking Doug Polen.

I'd be sure as every single swinger that throws their leg over a bike at either a trackday or race, would be lining up if Rossi came to town to teach a few classes.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post

+1
IMO spending money on Ty's class is money better spent.
he knows the tracks here better,which is where you'll be riding,i assume.
plus with Ty,nothing will be sugar coated,

Meh! Ty is great, I want to take his class, but he hasn't had much success outside of club racing. ('cept that suntrust endurance series)

Ty may be able to teach you every nuance about the local tracks, but Doug is a multi-time national/world champion. I'd like to think there is something non-track specific that would improve my skill set that I could learn from him.

Now, when/where can I sign up for the Scott Russell class?!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

the Doug Polen School will be at Harris Hill this october... wish i had the cash.. He is a super nice guy...

And Scott Russell is one of the instructors at Jamie James's school isn't he

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
ileono918
On hiatus

Exactly, this will be at Harris Hill I don't think Ty has been at HH. Aside from that, we are comparing apples to oranges here, we all know Ty is great but Polen has raced the best and won.
I have heard several mix comments from people that have attended this "high in" classes. Never heard of anyone that has taken Doug Polen's classe before though.
I am just debating if this would beat the 5-10 TD I can do with that kind of doe.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I am just debating if this would beat the 5-10 TD I can do with that kind of doe.

Shoot, I'd do it just to have a chance to hang out with the guy. But that's just me.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Guys, Doug Polen was racing at Oak Hill, Texas World (in two different configurations), not to mention AMA and World events before Ty even through a leg over a street bike in anger and started racing road bikes.

How do I know? I saw it with my own eyes.

Not taking away from Ty because he's very capable and I'm sure his school is money well spent, but Doug Polen raced with the CRRC (now CMRA) long, long ago. Doug still races too, so it's not like he's out of touch with riding/ racing. Suffice it to say that Doug knows TWS (Texas World Speedway) very, very well.

Long story short, any good instruction is worth the money, no matter your skill level!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

How do I know? I saw it with my own eyes.

+1 I saw him race TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the early 90's. The AMA even raced TWS (Texas World Speedway) twice in one year.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

why would anybody teach a race school that nobody races at?!
If his race school is so good then why doesn't he teach it at a local track that the cmra goes to. Because he'll get his handed to him by the local experts.
No racer is going to go to harris hill for a race school.
Why not keep your money here with the local texas boys that race our tracks consistantly.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

How many TDs have you done, Irak?

How frequently do you do them?

IMO, seat time in very close frequency is the best way to learn. Since doing LMS days last year, I've not had any 'real instruction' on riding skills. I've done 8 days so far this year (not a great number, but decent) and I'm still improving on the basic fundamentals I was taught.

I do think I've hit a wall @ MSR-H and need some learning, but I'm running pretty good there (experience considering)

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
Becouse hes not teaching you the track. hes teaching you skills that can be applied to any track. Ive taken Both Larry Myers class, and Ty Howards class. Both on different bikes at msrh.

Even though I had 8 years racing exp. I still learned . And I just didnt learn Stuff that was exclusive to MsrH. I went to TWS (Texas World Speedway) yestarday and was able to apply what I had learned from them.

+1

And as far as being 'local'. The whole time I followed Polen's career, he was listed as being from/residing in Carrollton, TX

Though his wiki stays he was born in Michigan? Sorta like Ben Spies being born in Tennesee, but he's a Texan.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
why would anybody teach a race school that nobody races at?!
If his race school is so good then why doesn't he teach it at a local track that the cmra goes to. Because he'll get his handed to him by the local experts.
No racer is going to go to harris hill for a race school.
Why not keep your money here with the local texas boys that race our tracks consistantly.
While I know the answer to why he's teaching at H2R, and I agree with you, but Arturo brings up a good point. The local boys have local knowlege, the local boys do a great job (we've got some on staff too), but there's a lot to be gained by someone like Polen that those guys don't have- world and National experience at a level they've never run.

Personally, I don't care for Polen or his demeanor from what I remember. I remember him from back then and didn't really like him then. He ran a friend of mine off track at TWS (Texas World Speedway) (at that time we ran the horseshoe back on to the Nascar oval) and he almost hit the wall head-on. It was a chump move IMHO and I can't say that I don't believe it was intentional. He was less than apologetic (I'm being nice here) in the pits after the race too...

That said, nobody (including Ty) is going to hand Polen "his " at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Or Oak Hill. That dude knows those tracks and I'm sure he can still run record pace there, even now. Like when Pridmore taught at Cresson, there's a lot out there for him to give knowlege-wise that the local boys don't have. Ty might be faster than Polen right off the bat there, but it won't take him long to get to his pace.

Regardless of your beliefs, you can't argue that instruction by someone who's raced at his level doesn't have value.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Regardless of your beliefs, you can't argue that instruction by someone who's raced at his level doesn't have value.
But would you say that without some pretty decent experience (read "a lot), the money could be best spent somewhere else? (ie more tracktime)

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
ileono918
On hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
How many TDs have you done, Irak? Not sure, about 12-15 last year; around 6-8 this year.
How frequently do you do them? At least one per month, but I always try to do 2.
IMO, seat time in very close frequency is the best way to learn. Since doing LMS days last year, I've not had any 'real instruction' on riding skills. I've done 8 days so far this year (not a great number, but decent) and I'm still improving on the basic fundamentals I was taught.

I do think I've hit a wall @ MSR-H and need some learning, but I'm running pretty good there (experience considering)
I think I've met you before, were you yesterday at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Polen turns 50 next year, no way he's going to run record pace.
I'm sure he has lots to teach.
I wonder why is he teaching on a cmra race weekend? He afraid a local expert will take his class and Polen won't be able to kept up.
Polen lives in california, born in Detroit. So he's not local.
Best instruction is private one on one. One on one with Ty would be far better then a class of 6 with Polen.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement