MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

cracked pan? need an opinion

hey peeps,

need an opinion. i've been looking at buying a used cbr and have been over to look at it once, rode it once and went to buy it tonight when I had the owner pull off the fairings to make sure there was no damage underneath. I then noticed some sludge (dirt + oil) caked on around the forward bottom quadrant of the stator cover and 1 inch across the engine (transverse away from the gasket).

history: the bike has been down at least once and the left side fairings and stator cover are rashed. I'm wondering is this something to worry about? The oil had to of come from somewhere...? I found oil between a hose and the stator and cleaned it up, cleaned up a bunch of the sludge with a rag, ran the engine until it was good and hot and there was no noticeable drip or liquid build up on the bottom of the stator cover, but again, the oil had to come from somewhere. possibly the bike going down broke the gasket seal? or there is a hairline in the cover/pan. I don't know...

i really want to pick this thing up for a track bike but don't want to get me something that's going to cause problems. oh...current owner (who didn't drop the bike) says he knows nothing about it and first time he's seen the sludge but then he admits he hasn't cleaned his bike very often since owning it.

opinions? help!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i still use a cracked helmet? nonstopper3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 05-06-2015 12:25 PM
Oil Pan Threads stripped/Cracked - Seeking Help/Advice hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-28-2011 10:06 AM
Cracked sprocket 338Magnum How To's and Q & A's 6 03-06-2011 05:33 AM
Frame cracked?!?!?! ZiXxer Six How To's and Q & A's 29 03-20-2008 08:25 AM
I CRACKED THE CODE!!!!!!!!!! elemental2 Off Topic 10 05-25-2006 03:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

may just be the gasket or if oil leaked out of the stator and never cleaned it up mix that with dirt and junk you get the sludge. Clean all off with wd-40 and then run the engine to see if you notice anything leaking cause its hard to tell with all that gunk everywhere
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
419 player
H-TOWNZ FINEST

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

if the leak is transverse, & located stator cover quadrant the may just be a leaky seal .
419 player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 player View Post
if the leak is transverse, & located stator cover quadrant the may just be a leaky seal .
"may" being the key word. no good after you buy it and find its cracked. i didn't see any oil stains in the garage where he's been keeping the bike but i dunno. think its worth it to take the bike to a mechanic to have it looked at for an hours cost of labour ?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
"may" being the key word. no good after you buy it and find its cracked. i didn't see any oil stains in the garage where he's been keeping the bike but i dunno. think its worth it to take the bike to a mechanic to have it looked at for an hours cost of labour ?
a gasket is a cheap fix if there is no major oil leak i wouldnt back out of buying it
Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
419 player
H-TOWNZ FINEST

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Def. take to a mechanic if your not comfortable w/it . M.U. on the northside & Javi on the south side .
419 player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
pans arent all that hard to replace and i wouldnt say they are cheap but they arent all that expensive either (relativly) if you feel good about the bike otherwise and the price is right, i would it up, check it out, and just take care of it if that is the case.

Advertisement