MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #81
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
But you do have to train yourself to learn how to use only one or the other in certain situations.
In certain ones, yes. The key is, understanding HOW to use the brakes (as well as that twisty thing under your right hand) properly.
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use the rear brake? xtelevisionset General Discussion (Moto Related) 80 06-13-2012 12:59 AM
Use the rear brake? xtelevisionset General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 06-08-2012 01:59 PM
Who uses the rear brake? batman007 Taking it to the Track 111 01-31-2008 09:34 AM
Got a powerful boat... Really Powerful?!? Tango1300 Off Topic 40 05-24-2007 03:46 PM
The rear brake zixx6r Taking it to the Track 18 09-23-2005 01:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #82
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
What you say....

And then what Keith Code says...

"It is my recommendation that you master using only the front brake except when riding in slippery conditions."

So, you are more of an expert than Keith Code? BTW, I said the same thing.

Ba ha ha ha ha.
Street is different than track and that quote - in fact your entire paragraph - has to do with TRACK conditions.
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #83
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Ive never changed it.

Incidentally - I havent ALWAYS ridden a Harley. I'm just fully aware of the attitude towards cruiser riders on here. Thanks for once again demonstrating it.

I dont typically agree with Ormand on anything - but he's right - cager physics apply to bikes too...well some of them.
No attitude about cruisers from me nor most of the other folks on MH. I had, until very recently, a Bourget Fat Daddy. I like big bikes.

The attitude stems from you spouting inaccurate information as if it's gospel, including trying to change the argument halfway through after saying "find me an expert". Well, I found you an expert and he didn't agree with you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #84
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Street is different than track and that quote - in fact your entire paragraph - has to do with TRACK conditions.
You just don't know when to quit. The paragraph also said...

"But realize that the rear brake is the source of a huge number of crashes both on and off the track"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #85
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou
 
Romeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stinkadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,329

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107









Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
I guess what I said isn't arguable cuz no body has said I was wrong. Woo hoo I love being right lol
__________________
Riding a Duc is kind of like, you may get a cramp in your wrist, but you keep on trucking because it feels so good.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #86
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan
 
burnboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,609

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000









lol. you can't win for losin max. you're wrong. he's right. lol. it's theory but dose'nt always apply. therefore, in your own experience you will find what is right for you at any given time. sometimes i use the rear brake. like while at a stop light with no hands on the clipons. so that my brake light is illuminated and the bike is still. lol. dont harleys only have i disk and caliper in the front? so as to need rear brake to help slow?
__________________
f,f&f 4 ever R.I.P. coach dave

Last edited by burnboy; 08-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #87
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Romeo, you are always right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #88
AJFLo
Senior Member
 
AJFLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 8,621

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50





I will have to disagree with curt about chris being right all the time
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #89
Intermission
Pure Awesome
 
Intermission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sugar Land SS&M
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,646

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage


I've never almost wrecked a bike from the front brake, but using the rear brake has almost caused more than a few wrecks.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #90
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou
 
Romeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stinkadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,329

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107









Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Romeo, you are always right.
Wooo hooooo
__________________
Riding a Duc is kind of like, you may get a cramp in your wrist, but you keep on trucking because it feels so good.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #91
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou
 
Romeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stinkadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,329

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107









Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
I've never almost wrecked a bike from the front brake, but using the rear brake has almost caused more than a few wrecks.
Good that means ur not using them hard enough. Let's hope u don't use em hard enough tobfind outvthat we are right
__________________
Riding a Duc is kind of like, you may get a cramp in your wrist, but you keep on trucking because it feels so good.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #92
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Romeo, you are always right.
this is 100% wrong
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #93
ormand
Deelish!
 
ormand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,835

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000





Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
lol. you can't win for losin max. you're wrong. he's right. lol. it's theory but dose'nt always apply. therefore, in your own experience you will find what is right for you at any given time. sometimes i use the rear brake. like while at a stop light with no hands on the clipons. so that my brake light is illuminated and the bike is still. lol. dont harleys only have i disk and caliper in the front? so as to need rear brake to help slow?
That would probably be because the rear tire is larger and provides more *friction force*...which is why you see large brakes on the back RWD race cars. And why *both* brakes should be applied in nearly all braking situations on a motorcycle, car, roller skates, whatever.

Again, one cannot win or argue against physics.
__________________
ONET 1
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #94
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou
 
Romeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stinkadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,329

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107









Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
this is 100% wrong
Your face is wrong
__________________
Riding a Duc is kind of like, you may get a cramp in your wrist, but you keep on trucking because it feels so good.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #95
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan
 
burnboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,609

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
That would probably be because the rear tire is larger and provides more *friction force*...which is why you see large brakes on the back RWD race cars. And why *both* brakes should be applied in nearly all braking situations on a motorcycle, car, roller skates, whatever.

Again, one cannot win or argue against physics.

theory does not always apply.
__________________
f,f&f 4 ever R.I.P. coach dave
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #96
ormand
Deelish!
 
ormand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,835

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000





Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
theory does not always apply.
But this is no theory...it's fact. Understand the difference between facts and absolute.

Rear tires on motorcycles, from my understanding, are generally or nearly always larger than the front tires. The point at which friction thresholds are breached occurs faster on tires with less contact patch (ie: front tires), and increasingly so as more weight transfer occurs at the front along with stronger front braking. Why not reduce this "breakpoint" with a more balanced braking of both front and rear?
__________________
ONET 1
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #97
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
lol. you can't win for losin max. you're wrong. he's right. lol. it's theory but dose'nt always apply. therefore, in your own experience you will find what is right for you at any given time. sometimes i use the rear brake. like while at a stop light with no hands on the clipons. so that my brake light is illuminated and the bike is still. lol. dont harleys only have i disk and caliper in the front? so as to need rear brake to help slow?
Depends upon the bike. The touring bikes, the V-Rod and a few versions of the Sportster have dual front brakes. The rest have one.

Personally i would never ride a bike without dual front brakes.
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #98
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor
 
honorsdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My desk.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,061

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)






Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
You just don't know when to quit. The paragraph also said...

"But realize that the rear brake is the source of a huge number of crashes both on and off the track"
Personally I TOTALLY disagree with that statement. I would say IMPROPER use of the rear brake has contributed to a huge number of crashes. The ultimate SOURCE is human error.

Is it THAT difficult for you to admit that you may not know as much as you THINK you do? If i offended you by saying you were wrong, perhaps I could have been a bit more gentle about it, but that doesnt change the pure physics at work.

If the rear brake was not needed it would not BE there max. Think about that...
__________________
Keeping the "fun" in "dysfunctional" since 1969.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #99
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou
 
Romeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stinkadena
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,329

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107









Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
But this is no theory...it's fact. Understand the difference between facts and absolute.

Rear tires on motorcycles, from my understanding, are generally or nearly always larger than the front tires. The point at which friction thresholds are breached occurs faster on tires with less contact patch (ie: front tires), and increasingly so as more weight transfer occurs at the front along with stronger front braking. Why not reduce this "breakpoint" with a more balanced braking of both front and rear?
Stop using car facts towards motorcycles. They don't apply as much as you think
__________________
Riding a Duc is kind of like, you may get a cramp in your wrist, but you keep on trucking because it feels so good.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #100
AJFLo
Senior Member
 
AJFLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Side
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 8,621

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50





Well first off cars 4 tires bikes have 2
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy