MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Yosh, Mat and Heartland Park = Not Gonna Race?

I was last at Topeka 20 years ago; it's still not a safe racing venue. Word is that Mat has decided Topeka is too dangerous to race at. Word is that Yosh pulled its other entries, too. This is breaking news, but here some that's available now:

Roadracing World Article Here

Team Manager: Mladin Unlikely To Race At Heartland Park Topeka Due To Safety Concerns
Jul 30, 2009, By David Swarts, ęCopyright 2009, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Mat Mladin could wrap up his seventh AMA American Superbike Championship during this weekend’s Tornado Nationals at Heartland Park Topeka (HPT), but it is looking unlikely that he will. That’s because Mladin may choose not to race at the 2.5-mile road course due to concerns about the track’s safety.

“At this point it’s unlikely,” that Mladin will race, Rockstar Makita Suzuki Team Manager Don Sakakura told Roadracingworld.com Thursday morning in the paddock at HPT. “He feels that there are several spots where there is inadequate run-off room with too many solid objects to hit, but I haven’t been officially notified by him whether he will ride or not.”

Mladin rode his GSX-R1000 for a handful of laps in the first American Superbike session during Thursday’s promoter practice day and then parked his bike and changed into street clothes.

When Roadracingworld.com asked him about the situation, Mladin declined to make any comment.

“It’s disappointing to come to a new venue like this and it’s in the condition it is for a National caliber event,” added Sakakura.

The area causing the greatest concern is the wall-lined left-right kink at the end of the front straightaway, according to several riders, including Michael Jordan Motorsports Suzuki’s Aaron Yates, who rode in both American Superbike sessions Thursday morning.

“It’s sixth gear, man. It’s gotta be 160 mph. It’s pretty scary through there,” said Yates. “Other parts of the track are pretty rough and beat up, but that’s just how it is. I kind of like that. There’s a seam over here that when you hit it it’s almost like bending the rim or something. The last section is really slow coming onto the front straight, and there’s another area back there that’s kind of fun, just you’ve got to really pay attention to the racetrack because it’s beat up pretty good.

“But the biggest deal is this [Turn One Alpha] area deal down here. It’s fast, it’s got those couple of kinks in it that make it single file. Mat [Mladin] actually flew by me this morning there and I had to stand it up. , then there’s no where to go and you’re in the grass and you’ll be going faster in the grass than you are on the asphalt, then there’s a big drop-off over there and into the wall.”

Asked if he had made any decisions whether he will race or not, Yates, said, “I’m going to go out there today and ride, test some stuff, do some work with the bike. I’m just going to be paying attention going through that [Turn One Alpha] area. I don’t think I’m going to be going through there full stick any time. It’s gonna be tough for a race situation.”
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heartland Park in Topeka, KS 6/16 - 6/17 jb.junior Taking it to the Track 0 05-18-2012 03:40 PM
Free motorcross race tickets - Race in Cedar Park Tx coquizinha General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-28-2012 11:58 AM
2011 Season Special Event #2 - Heartland Park - Topeka, KS Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 1 11-29-2010 06:53 AM
Heartland Park Topeka Brian f. Taking it to the Track 11 06-18-2009 09:23 PM
Houston Race Way Park 2nite BYRDMAN Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-06-2007 08:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
I was last at Topeka 20 years ago; it's still not a safe racing venue. Word is that Mat has decided Topeka is too dangerous to race at. Word is that Yosh pulled its other entries, too. This is breaking news, but here some that's available now:

Roadracing World Article Here

Team Manager: Mladin Unlikely To Race At Heartland Park Topeka Due To Safety Concerns
Jul 30, 2009, By David Swarts, ęCopyright 2009, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Mat Mladin could wrap up his seventh AMA American Superbike Championship during this weekend’s Tornado Nationals at Heartland Park Topeka (HPT), but it is looking unlikely that he will. That’s because Mladin may choose not to race at the 2.5-mile road course due to concerns about the track’s safety.

“At this point it’s unlikely,” that Mladin will race, Rockstar Makita Suzuki Team Manager Don Sakakura told Roadracingworld.com Thursday morning in the paddock at HPT. “He feels that there are several spots where there is inadequate run-off room with too many solid objects to hit, but I haven’t been officially notified by him whether he will ride or not.”

Mladin rode his GSX-R1000 for a handful of laps in the first American Superbike session during Thursday’s promoter practice day and then parked his bike and changed into street clothes.

When Roadracingworld.com asked him about the situation, Mladin declined to make any comment.

“It’s disappointing to come to a new venue like this and it’s in the condition it is for a National caliber event,” added Sakakura.

(1)The area causing the greatest concern is the wall-lined left-right kink at the end of the front straightaway, according to several riders, including Michael Jordan Motorsports Suzuki’s Aaron Yates, who rode in both American Superbike sessions Thursday morning.

“It’s sixth gear, man. It’s gotta be 160 mph. It’s pretty scary through there,” said Yates. (2)“Other parts of the track are pretty rough and beat up, but that’s just how it is. I kind of like that. There’s a seam over here that when you hit it it’s almost like bending the rim or something. The last section is really slow coming onto the front straight, and there’s another area back there that’s kind of fun, just you’ve got to really pay attention to the racetrack because it’s beat up pretty good.

“But the biggest deal is this [Turn One Alpha] area deal down here. It’s fast, it’s got those couple of kinks in it that make it single file. Mat [Mladin] actually flew by me this morning there and I had to stand it up. , then there’s no where to go and you’re in the grass and you’ll be going faster in the grass than you are on the asphalt, then there’s a big drop-off over there and into the wall.”

Asked if he had made any decisions whether he will race or not, Yates, said, “I’m going to go out there today and ride, test some stuff, do some work with the bike. I’m just going to be paying attention going through that [Turn One Alpha] area. I don’t think I’m going to be going through there full stick any time. It’s gonna be tough for a race situation.”
I just did this track last month. Im not a racer but ill post anyways, lol

1) I was thinking the same thing about the sweep to the left on the front straight when i was there. Its a "dog leg" to the left, right past the clubhouse, and on the right side of that is a concrete wall. The morning we went, it had just rained and we watched the race group up on the "cat-walk" above that area and i even made the comment of how nasty it would be to see someone go down there in the wet and slide into that wall.

2) Man those guys are used to some plush tracks i would imagine. Of course ive only ridden most of our local tracks but , that place was like glass, we were impressed!!!! I could only find one bump that plagued me all day in the afternoon sessions. Im sure they use alot of track i dont but man, i would bet most of us would be more than pleased, i liked it.

Looking forward to watching this race for once
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
ROADandTRACK

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Too many to list

I'm guessing the track is somewhat different from when we raced there in 98? ?

I thought after the front straight you just turned left?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Good for them.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
I'm guessing the track is somewhat different from when we raced there in 98? ?

I thought after the front straight you just turned left?
When i was there drag racing 3 years ago it was undergoing a major overhaul, and some of the facilities had just been completed. The 1/4 track was already great, but i dont know about the road course.

When we commented last month about the nice surface a local said "Thats what a XX (insernt numerical value here) million dollar renovation will do." His words, not mine
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

This is? Pretty scary

topeka
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
, I was actually going to see this race. Will suck if he doesn't race
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

That part isn't too bad since they go from left of that pic to the right.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Hopefully other racers will follow mladins lead.
We need more racers like this to stand up to the dmg/ama.
DMG doesn't care about the safety of the racers.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Apparently Yosh Suzuki has pulled all 3 riders entries from the race.
Good luck DMG.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
I agree with Allan, somebody is gonna have to show DMG how it is... Mladin seems to be the only one with a sack large enough to speak his mind publicly.
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

All of us, one of us= not a part of the AMA rider community. Matt has been standing up for him self, and the rest of us, since the DMG debacle began. Good on him! I'm a fan of this rider! (class act/no sell out)
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement