MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
NJMP Lightning Innugural CCS Race Recap

It was a long drive there took about 30 hours to get up there and we arrived on Wednesday around 12 noon, I picked up a local paper since we were unable to get into the track and set up shop. Come to find out the AMA was doing some testing there that weekend, but we didnt get to watch too much since right after I found out they told us we could set up in the pits but we were on the other track there (bummer). Got to watch a little bit of the testing and those guys were rolling out there. BLA BLA BLA done with Wednesday and onto the trackday on Thursday only to wake up at 6am to the sound of rain. Stopped raining around 0745 but it still was cloudy and stayed that way most the day. Did the tech inspection deal only to sit around for hours. Finally got out on the track around 1300 when there was a dry line out there after taking some advice from factory rider of BMW Nate Kern who was was out there a few weeks prior that the track was slick as in the rain. Had lunch at 1200 only the hear a huge slam into the hesco barrier near the back of the track then look over and see a Ducati has slammed the wall after T 5 on the fast right hander.

Finally on the track and it was easy to learn in about 3 laps still went slow just working on a line through T5 after listining to Nate. It was a blind turn up a hill then back down more of a slow in fast out turn where you had to run it from the outside curb to hugging the inside corner while getting off more to stand the bike up more for a good drive through the fast right hander (click off 3,4,5,6 gear cranked over dragging knee with gearing some where inbetween TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSRH). Got done with the first session and track was dry ready to start working on lines and braking closer to race pace. Half way through the session there was a slight drizzle but nothing to keep me off the track. Done with second session onto the third and it dumped rain again. Day over.

Friday was nothing but race practice with a transponder so i could see some lap times. After hearing from Nate that 1:10's was the pace to be i was happy with 1:13's in the AM sessions. Tried to be the first one out every session only the end up having to battle at pit out with Melissa Paris (Josh Hayes woman) she was on her 250 and flying but I was staying close keeping her in sight the whole session and not having anyone passing me most the afternoon. Got done with the day and was down to 11's feeling good for race day. I was going to do a little tune up on the bike Saturday before the races but had to work so I decided to do it there at the track to find out my air filter was filthy so i cleaned it. Off with the air box and onto the spark plugs only to find out the previous owner over tightened the spark plugs and did not use anti seize so i just left it alone and changed the other 3 with ease got the tank and air box on start the bike and its only firing on 3 cylinders the plug cracked when trying to take it off so had to get it out and it ended up breaking in the head. Weekend over on the Suzuki.

Saturday Im on a Kawi that we brought as back up with everything bone stock. Ran the practice session and had to make huge suspension adjustments, second session went out and felt better but far off from the day prior. First race I was running mid pack after seeing bikes off everywhere and not pushing too hard on a bike that was not going to get me where I wanted. Finished the race and took the checkered flag then braking after the finish going into T1 at the apex only to be taken out by another rider while still going around 100 mph. Im guessing i high sided from what the EMS and crash truck said. They told me I flew like 20ft in the air and the EMS guys said "You bounce well". I was able to get up after a nasty get off that should of hurt me more than i was.

After getting out of the meat wagon signing a no treatment waiver since I was fine. Get back to the pits and really get a good look at the bike for the first time only to see it is totaled. The bike hit so hard that it blew up the rear shock (yes blew it up I was able to pick up the rear spring out of the belly pan). Subframe was broken and exhaust broken as well. Front end came out good only did damage to the rear. My weekend was over at that point and then the soreness started kicking in around 6pm pretty sure I broke 2 fingers on the left hand maybe my thumb in my hand. Huge bruise on my left calf from either that guy hitting me or bike landing on me. Also have messed up elbow that hurts to use and painful shoulder that I cannqot lift all the way up without pain abover 90 degree.

Weekend over and Im finally home and still feel like i got hit by a bus sore everywhere. Over all impression of the track was OK it was smooth as glass with ouly 2 left handers but fast track with only 1 really hard braking marker. The track was scary after T5 being cracked over going under a bridge with a wall that seemed like it only had 30 feet of runoff leaned over WOT at the top of 6th. The track is built for cars and has a few safety concerns to take care of.

Huge thanks to Fred and Joanne Alley with CMFR, Bill Drake, Nate Kern, and Dunlop for providing the best rubber around.

I will get the Suzuki running and be back at it @ Barber in 2 weeks.