MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Question Suzuki in MOTO GP

Ok, based off of some thigns going on in MOTO GP and racing abroad I have a question. I am not one to usually post up and ask for opinions or advice here as it turns into PW bait and them telling us how there momma likes blowing donkey's or what not-but serious question for my curiuosity.

I ask that the mods monitor and keep all posts on topic.

Why is it that Suzuki does not do well in Moto GP? If is support, lack of talented riders, other factories have better machinery, ect, etc.

I guess my mind is wondering b/c of rumors floating around about Ben Spies possibly leaving WSB and the Rookie Rule which leaves him open to pick up a factory ride on a suzuki in moto gp.

I would like to see Spies pick up a ride on a zuki and see what he can do. I am not enamored by the riders they have now and was wondering if a more talented rider could get that bike on a podium or if in fact the other factories were better.

Thanks for looking and please keep it on topic!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moto gp.. jhonathan General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-09-2009 09:52 PM
Moto GP RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 14 06-15-2009 06:32 AM
Moto GP FLYIN'DUC General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-04-2009 10:23 PM
Moto GP Patrick Taking it to the Track 15 11-20-2007 01:34 AM
moto gp BKLYNBULLET General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-20-2007 06:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
My opinion is that Suzuki focuses funds primarily on production-based racing. Mat Mladin winning AMA year after year is a much better investment towards bike sales than what it would cost Suzuki to run up front in GPs.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

IMO, and at a 50,000 level, it's what happens when you don't have a Honda-sized budget and don't quite get all objectives and goals in line at the same time.

Suzuki has seldom had the best bike and the best rider at the same time, but that's only part of its problem. I personally can't remember Suzuki ever having the best bike on the grid; you'd have to go back to the 1970s to find Suzuki being the overdog in the permier class, the days of Barry Sheene. (Also, let's not forget that Suzuki built its first production four-stroke in 1977, and after that happened, the company started shifting focus in that direction. Development for two-strokes suffered in part because of this.)

In the late 1980s and into the early 1990s, Kevin Schwantz made the Suzuki GP bikes look better than they were with regard to results, but if you watched him race, you knew he was doing a lot with very little. If anyone can over-ride a bike, it's Schwantz. Stuart Shenton was certainly a great thing to have in the garage, too.

We sometimes forget that Kenny Jr. won a title on the Suzuki in 2000, winning four races and notching another five podiums that year. KRJR isn't considered by many to be one of the greatest riders in history, but a world title will tell you that he was obviously something special that year. I personally thought that he and the bike were the perfect combination of good, not great. The kind of thing that happens when a cast of no-names beats a team of star players in the world series. Chemistry.

I also tend to agree that Suzuki spends more money on the production side of things, doing less development in the GP world. When Honda doesn't win, heads roll, but it's doesn't seem as urgent at Suzuki. Obviously I could be wrong about that since I don't know anyone who works in Hamamatsu, but a personal philosophy of race first (like Mr. Honda had) means people try harder because it's not just a product and job, it's the core of your existence.

I think Suzuki is just a rider away from being good again, and if they spent money on Spies, they'd be headed in that direction once more.

Last edited by Racer997; 07-29-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
IMO, and at a 50,000 level, it's what happens when you don't have a Honda-sized budget and don't quite get all objectives and goals in line at the same time.

Suzuki has seldom had the best bike and the best rider at the same time, but that's only part of its problem. I personally can't remember Suzuki ever having the best bike on the grid; you'd have to go back to the 1970s to find Suzuki being the overdog in the permier class, the days of Barry Sheene. (Also, let's not forget that Suzuki built its first production four-stroke in 1977, and after that happened, the company started shifting focus in that direction. Development for two-strokes suffered in part because of this.)

In the late 1980s and into the early 1990s, Kevin Schwantz made the Suzuki GP bikes look better than they were with regard to results, but if you watched him race, you knew he was doing a lot with very little. If anyone can over-ride a bike, it's Schwantz. Stuart Shenton was certainly a great thing to have in the garage, too.

We sometimes forget that Kenny Jr. won a title on the Suzuki in 2000, winning four races and notching another five podiums that year. KRJR isn't considered by many to be one of the greatest riders in history, but a world title will tell you that he was obviously something special that year. I personally thought that he and the bike were the perfect combination of good, not great. The kind of thing that happens when a cast of no-names beats a team of star players in the world series. Chemistry.

I also tend to agree that Suzuki spends more money on the production side of things, doing less development in the GP world. When Honda doesn't win, heads roll, but it's doesn't seem as urgent at Suzuki. Obviously I could be wrong about that since I don't know anyone who works in Hamamatsu, but a personal philosophy of race first (like Mr. Honda had) means people try harder because it's not just a product and job, it's the core of your existence.

I think Suzuki is just a rider away from being good again, and if they spent money on Spies, they'd be headed in that direction once more.
nicely put although I would argue that Sheene made the Suzuki look good

1980/81 with Marco Luchinelli and Franco Uncini respectively is when I would say they were at their best.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Pretty sure Spies is under contract with Yamaha for the next two years so if you are hearing rumors of him going to Suzuki they are wrong.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The outstanding Texan Ben Spies has been granted for two years with Yamaha. L'accordo prevede la riconferma nel team ufficiale per la Superbike 2010 e il passaggio in MotoGP la stagione dopo. The agreement provides for the reappointment in the official team for the Superbike 2010 and the passage in the MotoGP season after.

Ma pare che Ben abbia fatto inserire una clausola che contempla l'immediato passaggio alla top class in caso di vittoria del Mondiale SBK in corso, o magari di cambio di casacca di Jorge Lorenzo che interessa alla HRC. But it seems that Ben has done to insert a clause that provides for the immediate passage to the top class in the event of victory of World SBK in progress, or perhaps the change of team of Jorge Lorenzo who are interested in the HRC. In questo modo si libererebbe il ruolo pilota di punta numero due (il primo ovviamente è Valentino Rossi) e per Ben Spies, che ha solo 24 anni, sarebbe un'occasione irripetibile. This will rid the role of pilot point number two (the first course is Valentino Rossi) and Ben Spies, who was only 24 years, it would be a unique opportunity.

Ben Spies, considerato “rookie” nella top class anche se ha già disputato tre GP con la Suzuki nel 2009 (Donington, Laguna Seca e Indianapolis nel 2009) dovrebbe comunque essere gestito da una struttura esterna. Ben Spies, deemed a "rookie" in the top class even if he has already played three GP with Suzuki in 2009 (Donington, Laguna Seca and Indianapolis in 2009) should be maintained by an external body. Alla quale la Yamaha però potrebbe offrire tutto l'appoggio tecnico possibile. To which the Yamaha, however, could provide all possible technical support.

Paolo Gozzi
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

It looks like Suzuki only really cares about being competitive in the dying AMA series...they just dont do anything worth talking about in WSBK, WSS, or MotoGP...

And I hadnt heard that about Spies going to GP in '10...take that suzuki
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Simple answer - $.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
It looks like Suzuki only really cares about being competitive in the dying AMA series...they just dont do anything worth talking about in WSBK, WSS, or MotoGP...

And I hadnt heard that about Spies going to GP in '10...take that suzuki
they've had moments in WSBK. The gixxer 1k has been competitive in years past, its just hard to see as they tend to focus on the top 3. Last year that was a ducati and 2 yamis. This years its....uh well 2 ducatis and a yami.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Suzuki has had their moments in GP as well. Caprex and Vermuelen have won a few races and a few rostrums. Really Hopper developed the bike, then left right when it was ready to be competitive. A case of more $$ being thrown at him.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

yet the bike was so strong in winter testing
guess everybody else has continued to develop and just moved the goalposts which makes what Melandri is doing even more impressive
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement