MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #41
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
John is right but unfortunately that falls under the riders weakness
-Gabe
Inside Joke?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ninja zx6r VS yamaha r6 cyberone28 Off Topic 61 04-10-2012 05:37 PM
Anyone missing a honda 600rr? rick General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-27-2011 07:30 AM
Honda cbr 600rr 04r6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-28-2008 10:12 PM
Honda 600rr commercial Hooligan General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 05-27-2008 09:08 PM
Honda 600RR forums? jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-16-2006 06:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #42
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Obviously Moe's going to pick the R6.
He so Yamaha biased he would collect the sweat from Rossi''s if he could.

IMO I'd go with ZX6 or the CBR600rr.
Both are easier to work on / set up than the R6, and are more forgiving to ride.
Thanks for the guidance Patrick, much appreciated. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to put some money on the table so I can ride these things around... at least down the street anyways... not sure what I will gleam from that little outing but who knows maybe one will just feel right....
Old 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #43
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

We failed to put in new pads for the Hallett 6hr and ran out of fricion material. We lost 10 minutes or so doing it during the race.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #44
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
We failed to put in new pads for the Hallett 6hr and ran out of fricion material. We lost 10 minutes or so doing it during the race.
-Gabe
ahhh.... well that sucks but at least nothing accident wise happened...
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #45
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Says the guy with 6 bikes in his signature...
Don't make me you!

Do as I say no as I ...
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #46
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
Don't make me you!

Do as I say no as I ...
he he... well I think the triumph is a great bike but it is a when you start to get up to speed... I always feel like I am on the edge and it's about to let go...

I have done everything except buy a rear shock, which I am going to do here soon, but I want to try another platform.... who knows I may go WTF my triumph is much better than this but I bet it is the other way around... I bet I am going to be like WTF why didn't I do this a long time ago?

I know that I am no Spies but I am no puss...y either.... I just can't get comfortable flat out throwing that bike into a corner... every single time I push the pace the front slides a bit or the back lets go enough to make me shat my britches... you start to wonder if it is just me or the bike... I have had the suspension tweaked enough times to think I am not gonna get much more out of it...

I can easily get a new platform, will find out soon enough it is a me problem
Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Tim, I am a strong supporter and owner of Suzuki, so take this as you will... but if I had it all to do over again, I would have bought the new '09 ZX6R and put some race bodywork on it instead of getting my new Gix.

Here's my impressions of my first ride on the '09ZX6R:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...highlight=zx6r

You can ask Gabe, I was seriously considering selling my newly built GSXR and buying an '09 ZX6R! Actually, the other day I was thinking of selling it and buying the one Gabe has for sale right now!

Yes, I was that impressed, and that's after riding an '08 600RR, '06 and '08 GSXR 600 and 750, Daytona 675... and some measly laps on a 1098... those don't count because I poosyfooted around on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Honda all the way. You won't find a more rider friendly bike. As others have said, it will make you look much better than you are, and I can personally vouch for that. Right off the showroom the handling is ready for the track, and they are a breeze to set up compared to the zuks I've had. Kawi.....no thanks, as Ronnie said #3 piston is troublesome,and Larry Meyers has had a getting his to handle or make good power. I've had the '01 F4i, 03 rr and now the '07 rr. All have been great race bikes that required only regular simple maintenance, good rubber and suspention and a rider with bigger than me to run at the front. Second chioce would be the R6, with required tank sliders to avoid fiery crashes!!
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #49
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Honda all the way. You won't find a more rider friendly bike. As others have said, it will make you look much better than you are, and I can personally vouch for that. Right off the showroom the handling is ready for the track, and they are a breeze to set up compared to the zuks I've had. Kawi.....no thanks, as Ronnie said #3 piston is troublesome,and Larry Meyers has had a getting his to handle or make good power. I've had the '01 F4i, 03 rr and now the '07 rr. All have been great race bikes that required only regular simple maintenance, good rubber and suspention and a rider with bigger than me to run at the front. Second chioce would be the R6, with required tank sliders to avoid fiery crashes!!
Buck, it's not the Kawi that has the #3 piston issue, it's the Yamaha.
As far as handling, Gabe and co. as well as other riders apparently have it figured out.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #50
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

you guys!!! You are not making this easy, your supposed to all like the same bike!

Joking of course... but this is not going to be an easy choice... How about I just buy both the 600RR and the ZX6R??? I wish....

Well I guess it is a good problem to have... but without being able to actually ride them on the tack it is a to decide...

What about the honda ABS? Any insight?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #51
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I've read that the Honda ABS is transparent....thus it is very good. They say it works great without noticably impeading your riding.
SCRC John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #52
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Any of the modern sportbikes are going to be good right now, IMHO, '09 is a very good year for the middleweights!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #53
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I've read that the Honda ABS is transparent....thus it is very good. They say it works great without noticably impeading your riding.
You are correct. Hit the brakes as hard as you can and all the bike does is stop. There is no sensation or indication that the bike has ABS except that you cannot lock-up either wheel.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #54
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You are correct. Hit the brakes as hard as you can and all the bike does is stop. There is no sensation or indication that the bike has ABS except that you cannot lock-up either wheel.
ABS on a street bike makes perfect sense but if it was worth a rub on the track then we would have seen it in regular use years ago.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #55
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Buck, it's not the Kawi that has the #3 piston issue, it's the Yamaha.
As far as handling, Gabe and co. as well as other riders apparently have it figured out.

what is this R6 No.3 piston issue y'all speak of??
Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #56
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
ABS on a street bike makes perfect sense but if it was worth a rub on the track then we would have seen it in regular use years ago.
Who is to say it hasn't been in use. We (collective public) know very little about what is in use on these motorcycles. I know they have been using it in Motogp for a number of years....albeit developing it for the consumer.
SCRC John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #57
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
Who is to say it hasn't been in use. We (collective public) know very little about what is in use on these motorcycles. I know they have been using it in Motogp for a number of years....albeit developing it for the consumer.

been tested but not used,

do you have a link, story, feature etc
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #58
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
been tested but not used,

do you have a link, story, feature etc
Do you? A track day instructor with RideSmart told me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that the CBR600RR ABS is being raced with great success and that will be his choice as his next track bike
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #59
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Do you? A track day instructor with RideSmart told me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that the CBR600RR ABS is being raced with great success and that will be his choice as his next track bike
oh really, google it, see what you can find

There's nothing in the FIM Technical regs prohibiting the use of ABS in World Championship racing and in an age dominated by TC, LC, Engine braking control etc etc I've no doubt it's been tested but I've yet to see or read of it in regular use.

I think Vito gareshi (spelling) tested it for ducati but didn't like the lack of feel.

If traction control gets you out the corner quicker then ABS should point to a way of getting in quicker but just not at this time.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #60
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
oh really, google it, see what you can find

There's nothing in the FIM Technical regs prohibiting the use of ABS in World Championship racing and in an age dominated by TC, LC, Engine braking control etc etc I've no doubt it's been tested but I've yet to see or read of it in regular use.

I think Vito gareshi (spelling) tested it for ducati but didn't like the lack of feel.

If traction control gets you out the corner quicker then ABS should point to a way of getting in quicker but just not at this time.
Uh, The OP is posting about buying a 600RR, not a factory race bike

Advertisement