MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #41
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
not my version, just the right version.

OP, others will state that there is only one way to do things correctly, don't believe them, do your research and make your own informed decision for yourself.

And FWIW, if you want to know exactly how well the locating system will work for you. Find a friend with a 3G or 3GS iPhone on T-Mobile. Zoombak systems run off T-Mobile systems. The locating system works exactly the same to that in the latest iphones or any other cellular device with A-GPS. Go climb in a UHaul truck, or in a parking garage, see how well it works for yourself.
i can back this up..i might not have 3g everywhere with my tmobile g1 phone, but the gps simply works everywhere so far.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shops and theft recovery silverfudge Off Topic 20 05-29-2015 04:27 PM
Stand alone GPS or Smartphone GPS for bike? hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-01-2011 10:57 AM
Help: Need some info on theft recovery - vin is scratched off badman General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-07-2008 07:35 AM
Phantom Theft Recovery Systems Tango1300 General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 06-29-2007 11:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #42
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Patrick, the "1 bike not recovered in 72 hours" bit, surely that is only in the Houston area eh? Is that in the past year, 5 years, ever? How many bikes were recovered in that same time frame in the same geographical area as the 1 that got away?
That's in the Houston area in the amount of time Lojack has been offered here for bikes, about 3 years I think.
Also as an addendum to that, since the implementation of the Early Warning System on the Lojacks, the recovery rate at the last time I checked was 100%.

Question for you; What's the recovery rate for bikes WITHOUT Lojack?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #43
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

heres a thought. insurance will always work. 100% of the time. if a thief wants your bike its gone and i dont know if i want it back even if lowjack does recover it for me
Old 07-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #44
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Only if the installing dealer is a dumbass enough to install it under the seat.....

Apparently though, I guess "real" thieves aren't stealing the bikes with Lojack, because only 1 hasn't been recovered within the 72 hour initial time period.
All of the rest were recovered.

Either that, or the unit is properly installed, hard wired into the harness and hidden properly, i.e. not in the trunk / under the seat.

AND, as I already stated, the one bike that wasn't recovered, a Hayabusa, had it's Lojack improperly installed directly to the battery by the dealer.
you can't hide the system and it's still wired up...anyone that knows what a bike looks like inside and out, then grabs a bike and strips it within minutes and don't say minutes lightly (two guys with simple tools can have a bike ripped apart in 30 minutes) will see it and already know...and im not KNOCKING the system as ryan is trying to do..im just saying there are tons of murders that go unsolved, the same with bike/car theft with or WITHOUT low jack
Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #45
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassik View Post
heres a thought. insurance will always work. 100% of the time. if a thief wants your bike its gone and i dont know if i want it back even if lowjack does recover it for me
problem is insurance companys are getting tired of the pay outs and have been asking for more laws, like the new one of leaving your key in the bike and
Old 07-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #46
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Amen to that, Lojack is not a substitute for insurance, however even with Gap insurance, many times people are upside down with what they owe, and are left holding the bag.
I can only speak from Azylums and Mr. Cleans experience, but both were happy to get their bikes back, and the bikes were pretty unscathed / untouched.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #47
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Amen to that, Lojack is not a substitute for insurance, however even with Gap insurance, many times people are upside down with what they owe, and are left holding the bag.
I can only speak from Azylums and Mr. Cleans experience, but both were happy to get their bikes back, and the bikes were pretty unscathed / untouched.
i argee with you 100% but to say that low jack will get your bike back 99% is like when they said the titanic couldn't sink
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #48
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurgeD View Post
you can't hide the system and it's still wired up...anyone that knows what a bike looks like inside and out, then grabs a bike and strips it within minutes and don't say minutes lightly (two guys with simple tools can have a bike ripped apart in 30 minutes) will see it and already know...and im not KNOCKING the system as ryan is trying to do..im just saying there are tons of murders that go unsolved, the same with bike/car theft with or WITHOUT low jack
True, given enough time / incentive it can be found, however, at least as of yet to date, they haven't shown much initiative to, hence the almost 100% recovery rate.
I'm sure at some point things will change, and at that time I'll do the best I can to find out what works best and to provide it.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #49
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
being upside down is a completly other topic but the fact is. nothing will stop a thief. so protect the way people have for years.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #50
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
i argee with you 100% but to say that low jack will get your bike back 99% is like when they said the titanic couldn't sink
I'm only going by their record of recovery, which leads my to believe the chances of future performance. No one can guarantee anything.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #51
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
True, given enough time / incentive it can be found, however, at least as of yet to date, they haven't shown much initiative to, hence the almost 100% recovery rate.
I'm sure at some point things will change, and at that time I'll do the best I can to find out what works best and to provide it.
im not/and can't argue the point that low jack is NOT the best offered out there at this time
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #52
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
That's in the Houston area in the amount of time Lojack has been offered here for bikes, about 3 years I think.
Also as an addendum to that, since the implementation of the Early Warning System on the Lojacks, the recovery rate at the last time I checked was 100%.

Question for you; What's the recovery rate for bikes WITHOUT Lojack?
I am sure far less, I would be interested to know the recovery rate of motorcycles in the Houston area with various GPS locators installed on them, although I am sure no hard evidence exists on this.

Like I stated before, I am sure both are quite effective means. And there is no doubt that LoJack works well and has a good track record. But I think what holds many people back on the LoJack device is the upfront cost. Lowjack runs what, about $700 + tax installed. For many people that may be well over 10% of their bikes value. Or for instance those with insurance, if you have insurance, your deductible might be less than that of LoJack, and as klassik stated, If you have insurance, do you really even WANT your bike back after it's stolen.

I also am kinda split on the issue that LoJack not only sells the devices to customers at a substantial cost. I would bet the cost to actually manufacture the device is a fraction of the retail price, or for that matter a fraction of the cost price you pay. But not only that, LoJack then sells the locator devices to cities and departments as well, I do not know the exact cost to equip a vehicle with the necessary device to track the LoJack signal but I would be willing to bet its several times what 1 LoJack costs installed a consumer. And again, I am sure it is well above what it actually costs to manufacture that equipment. Our local police departments have to fork out government money to buy these devices as well. Do the police departments make any money from recovering your vehicle? I don't believe so.

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 07-28-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
being upside down is a completly other topic but the fact is. nothing will stop a thief. so protect the way people have for years.

No one can be completely vigilant 100% of the time. It'd be a nice concept, but impractical.
Till something else works better, I'll support Lojack.
My 2 cents, YMMV.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #54
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
I am sure far less, I would be interested to know the recovery rate of motorcycles in the Houston area with various GPS locators installed on them, although I am sure no hard evidence exists on this.

Like I stated before, I am sure both are quite effective means. And there is no doubt that LoJack works well and has a good track record. But I think what holds many people back on the LoJack device is the upfront cost. Lowjack runs what, about $700 + tax installed. For many people that may be well over 10% of their bikes value. Or for instance those with insurance, if you have insurance, your deductible might be less than that of LoJack, and as klassik stated, If you have insurance, do you really even WANT your bike back after it's stolen.

I also am kinda split on the issue that LoJack not only sells the devices to customers at a substantial cost. I would bet the cost to actually manufacture the device is a fraction of the retail price, or for that matter a fraction of the cost price you pay. But not only that, LoJack then sells the locator devices to cities and departments as well, I do not know the exact cost to equip a vehicle with the necessary device to track the LoJack signal but I would be willing to bet its several times what 1 LoJack costs installed a consumer. Our local police departments have to fork out government money to buy these devices as well. Do the police departments make any money from recovering your vehicle? I don't believe so.

ok but your buying the product and the service at ONCE, no monthly bs..so if you bought your bike, had low jack installed and you owned your bike for 10+ years and low jack got your bike back then it was well worth it

thats there job and do they make money back? well i remember reading on stuntlife that some peoples got caught stealing bikes and did 2 years jail(still doing time i think) and pay like $50,000 in restitution
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #55
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:

I also am kinda split on the issue that LoJack not only sells the devices to customers at a substantial cost. I would bet the cost to actually manufacture the device is a fraction of the retail price, or for that matter a fraction of the cost price you pay. But not only that, LoJack then sells the locator devices to cities and departments as well, I do not know the exact cost to equip a vehicle with the necessary device to track the LoJack signal but I would be willing to bet its several times what 1 LoJack costs installed a consumer. Our local police departments have to fork out government money to buy these devices as well. Do the police departments make any money from recovering your vehicle? I don't believe so.
You're kinda going off on a tangent, but I'll try to address some of your points.

I have no idea what it costs to produce a Lojack, but I'm sure the mark up from the manufacturer to the installer is probably pretty good.
No different than the mark up on an I Phone or any other electronic item is.

My cost from Lojack is fairly hefty, and I also discount Lojack significantly below MSRP because I'm trying to make it accessible, not because I'm trying to get rich selling the system.

While we're talking about profit though, when did making a buck become a bad thing?
How do you think companies afford to pay their employees?

Lastly, if you want to be a social crusader against frivolous Government spending, I'm more than certain you can easily find more wasteful items than a theft recovery unit in a police vehicle that enables the officer to do his job better.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #56
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
ok but your buying the product and the service at ONCE, no monthly bs..so if you bought your bike, had low jack installed and you owned your bike for 10+ years and low jack got your bike back then it was well worth it
No doubt, and I never said it wouldn't be a good deal. But there is a substantial upfront cost. It's a trade off. for tat. 1 for the other. Like I said previously, gotta look at the info, and make your own decision on what works for you the customer.

Quote:
thats there job and do they make money back? well i remember reading on stuntlife that some peoples got caught stealing bikes and did 2 years jail(still doing time i think) and pay like $50,000 in restitution
I would think the restitution goes to the owner of the bike, not the PD, no? And yes, that may be there job, but if they weren't doing that they would be doing something else. Does a police officer get a bonus when he finds a stolen car/bike and returns it to it's rightful owner? Not likely.

LoJack is out there to make money, fair enough, I understand, but they are pulling from both sides of the equation. I really would be interested in knowing the cost to equip one police vehicle with lojack detection vs the cost of manufacturing that equipment. From what I have read, there are many small towns out there, that still cannot afford the equipment.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #57
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
No doubt, and I never said it wouldn't be a good deal. But there is a substantial upfront cost. It's a trade off. for tat. 1 for the other. Like I said previously, gotta look at the info, and make your own decision on what works for you the customer.

I would think the restitution goes to the owner of the bike, not the PD, no? And yes, that may be there job, but if they weren't doing that they would be doing something else. Does a police officer get a bonus when he finds a stolen car/bike and returns it to it's rightful owner? Not likely.

LoJack is out there to make money, fair enough, I understand, but they are pulling from both sides of the equation. I really would be interested in knowing the cost to equip one police vehicle with lojack detection vs the cost of manufacturing that equipment. From what I have read, there are many small towns out there, that still cannot afford the equipment.

thats still part of there job, when i was a supervisor in the plants, and someone didn't show up to work and i had to do MY JOB PLUS PICK UP THE SLACK OF THE GUY THAT DIDN'T SHOW UP? did i ever get a bonus? oh no cause i was doing my job.
low jack would make it easier for a cop to do his job.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #58
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
You're kinda going off on a tangent, but I'll try to address some of your points.

I have no idea what it costs to produce a Lojack, but I'm sure the mark up from the manufacturer to the installer is probably pretty good.
No different than the mark up on an I Phone or any other electronic item is.

My cost from Lojack is fairly hefty, and I also discount Lojack significantly below MSRP because I'm trying to make it accessible, not because I'm trying to get rich selling the system.

While we're talking about profit though, when did making a buck become a bad thing?
How do you think companies afford to pay their employees?

Lastly, if you want to be a social crusader against frivolous Government spending, I'm more than certain you can easily find more wasteful items than a theft recovery unit in a police vehicle that enables the officer to do his job better.
You are correct and valid, and yes I went off on a tangent on that. But there is cities out there that cannot afford the systems to find LoJack equipped stolen vehicles. And then again, there are plenty of places, especially in TX with lots of open areas, to take a vehicle to where it is nowhere a commonly patrolled area if the police there even have the system.

Like I said, both things are surely great products, and they both have their strengths and weakness and advantages and disadvantages to various consumers, but there is no END ALL solution.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #59
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

[QUOTE=Pyrofallout;2135360
LoJack is out there to make money, fair enough, I understand, but they are pulling from both sides of the equation. I really would be interested in knowing the cost to equip one police vehicle with lojack detection vs the cost of manufacturing that equipment. From what I have read, there are many small towns out there, that still cannot afford the equipment.[/QUOTE]

like apple iphones? it cost them MAYBE $5 to actually make the phone, but do the R&D of touch screen and paying people to make it a solid phone and a bugzilla team in case comes up...that cost of the $500 phone goes to that stuff also
Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #60
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
You are correct and valid, and yes I went off on a tangent on that. But there is cities out there that cannot afford the systems to find LoJack equipped stolen vehicles. And then again, there are plenty of places, especially in TX with lots of open areas, to take a vehicle to where it is nowhere a commonly patrolled area if the police there even have the system.

Like I said, both things are surely great products, and they both have their strengths and weakness and advantages and disadvantages to various consumers, but there is no END ALL solution.
full coverage insurance with theft

Advertisement