Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
jtan326

Feedback Rating: (0)

Question Which Helmet to buy...?

I'm practically a new rider and I've owned a 05 Ninja 250 for about a month now. I've been DYING to go out and practice techniques and start riding on the roads, but... gear has been a decisive problem for me. Right now I only own a crappy used up KBC helmet which came along with the 250. So I wanted to step it up and buy something I could probably trust myself with ever since I started looking at what happens when you don't wear gear and get into an accident. Right now I've come up with two situations, buy a KBC at discounted price for under 100 or buy a good three or four hundred buck helmet like the Shark RSX or a Bell Star. Anyone can give me good feedback on a good KBC which does it's primary job(to save my azz when I fall), or guidance whether to take the RSX or the Star? Read good reviews on the RSX and Star so definitly a plus. And from a reasonable point on price... does it really matter whether I buy a 50 dollar helmet which do it's job rather than a 500 dollar helmet with all the cool option features and whatnot?
jtan326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one? Moody Gear Talk 1 07-18-2010 08:29 PM
Helmet Group Buy Moody General Discussion (Moto Related) 95 07-23-2007 04:58 PM
Would you buy this helmet? NisAznMonk General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 06-13-2007 07:15 PM
why did u buy ur helmet whosthis Off Topic 23 01-08-2007 12:50 PM
Looking to buy a new Helmet. Suggestions? gtrsrt10 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 02-13-2006 07:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

you might be surprised how much you enjoy all the bells and whistles on an expensive helmet after switching to or from a cheaper one.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
you might be surprised how much you enjoy all the bells and whistles on an expensive helmet after switching to or from a cheaper one.
Went from a $150 HJC to a $700 Arai... World of a difference to me. Fit better and was a lot lighter.

If you are going to spend $400 on a helmet you can def find an Arai for that price.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
exactly...i went from an old shoei helmet (dont even think they make this one anymore ) that i got off ebay brand new for $90 to a $650 suomy....the best birthday gift ever.

suomy helmet was so light and quiet compared to the other helmet that would make my neck hurt so bad after riding and at high speeds would about tear my head off......ive heard arai helmets are alot more quiet than suomy but if i get another it would be one of the two.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post
exactly...i went from an old shoei helmet (dont even think they make this one anymore ) that i got off ebay brand new for $90 to a $650 suomy....the best birthday gift ever.

suomy helmet was so light and quiet compared to the other helmet that would make my neck hurt so bad after riding and at high speeds would about tear my head off......ive heard AJs Arai helmet is alot BETTER than APRILs suomy but if i get another it would be one of the two.

Fixed

My Arai is really loud but it is a Race Replica Helmet. I think it is expected to be a bit more noisy than usual. But WOW is it ever so light!
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
blaknwite

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Just try them on. They really are shaped differently. You'll know when you put the right one on. From there you can make price point calls.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

scorpion is good and wont cost you an arm and a leg
Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaknwite View Post
Just try them on. They really are shaped differently. You'll know when you put the right one on. From there you can make price point calls.
My advice exactly!

If you come by the shop we can measure and fit you up.
From there we can advise price points and models of helmets that will fit you best.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
AJFLo

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
My advice exactly!

If you come by the shop we can measure and fit you up.
From there we can advise price points and models of helmets that will fit you best.
I forgot that everyones head is different shaped!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
zx636tx
Certified Bad

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R

I usually encourage people to buy locally, rather than online, but everytime I tell a shop that I can get the helmet they are selling for $400 for $150-200 on line, they act like I'm either lying or wasting their time. In actuality, I'm trying to give them a chance to win my business by offering me a competetive price. Now I've never been to Patricks place and I only hear rave reviews about it, so if your going to buy locally I'd try there.

That being said, I just bought a $380 Shark helmet (RSI) for $150 online. I got lucky in that it fit just right on my head, but deals are out there if you look.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...met+-+hologram
zx636tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

SHARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

if you want bang for you buck and still be able to be sure your head is safe try a scorpion. They have them for as cheap as 100 bux at www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Just go there and look around. You can find some goo deals. Any of the sponsors usually price match. Now you wont get a arai for 150 but they usually work with us. There are a few good guys who are sponsors on here. Sunny and patrick immediately come to mind. Depending on what part of town check one of these guys out

Advertisement