MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

I weight 180 without gear and I raced on stock suspension on a 06 gsxr 750. I am too slow or maybe I am that good that I can control the bike on stock suspension.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock suspension tune? AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-29-2013 08:34 PM
a laugh if ur stuk @ work bored jdm_phunk Off Topic 6 04-01-2010 11:27 PM
i need a long life tire what are ur thoughts Jerzey General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-01-2010 11:57 AM
Suspension question for you endurance racers Brian f. Taking it to the Track 5 02-23-2009 04:35 PM
suspension: cause and effect (long read, but informative) houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-28-2008 09:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Yeah, but "no aftermarket suspension" can mean lots of things... I'd be shocked (pun intended...) if they didn't do shim stack, spring, valving, and fluid mods/ swaps and other cartridge work with stock components. If that is the case then their suspension is really not "stock".

I think the OP is talking about a suspension that has the factory springs/ cartridge components/ fluid, etc.

To the OP, I seem to remember Garreth Spear racing on a stock suspension for quite a while as did Alonzo Contreras. Both of those guys were rippin' it up very well.

As stated before though, each rider is unique in regard to skill and ability to control the motorcycle, so those guys may be anomalies.

Personally, I haven't raced/ ridden track on a stock suspension since the late 80's (and looking back, boy was that an experience by comparison). I really love the way a well tuned and built suspension works. Modern talented builders can do some amazing things- my bike's suspension seems to get better the faster I go and as mentioned, what a confidence builder that is.

I've also ridden on friend's bikes (like a Daytona 675 and a 600RR, as well as a few Duc's and Ape's but I don't really call their Ohlins a "stock" suspension) with stock suspensions and they performed extremely well. Mark Niemi's '09 ZX5R was one of the most amazing bikes I've ever ridden in stock form! There is no doubt that these days stock suspension technology has grown by leaps and bounds to the point that you can near take them off the showroom and take them to the grid.

Standard OE forks and fork internals Tom and standard OE rear shock.
Riders could fine tune within the standard adjustment parameters

R6 Cup action

Entry which included bike, tyres, fuel, crash damage etc was approx $25k from memory.

Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Standard OE forks and fork internals Tom and standard OE rear shock.
Riders could fine tune within the standard adjustment parameters
Yeah man, I guess what I was trying to get across is that there are some masterful folks out there who can build some fantastic suspensions from OE parts. Changing the shim stacks, modifying the valves, experimenting with fluid viscosity, they can make some great performers with OE stuff.

My forks and shock are OE and my builder built them up to work as well as my Ohlins shock and Traxxion cartridges did on my last bike. Fantastic results using stock parts! Not to mention I saved a bunch of cabbage...

Sounds like a great series for WSBK to pick up for entry level riders trying to break out! Is GB still holding this series?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Yeah man, I guess what I was trying to get across is that there are some masterful folks out there who can build some fantastic suspensions from OE parts. Changing the shim stacks, modifying the valves, experimenting with fluid viscosity, they can make some great performers with OE stuff.
My forks and shock are OE and my builder built them up to work as well as my Ohlins shock and Traxxion cartridges did on my last bike. Fantastic results using stock parts! Not to mention I saved a bunch of cabbage...

Sounds like a great series for WSBK to pick up for entry level riders trying to break out! Is GB still holding this series?
I hear you, know a couple myself but the R6 Cup bikes were kept and maintained/serviced/prepared by Yamaha/Virgin/Rob Mac so the rider never got to take them home. He would turn up on a Friday, do the pracctice then give the bike back until qualifying the next day etc.
A great formula that brought some real talent into the limelight.
Sadly the R6 Cup is no more, a sign of the economic downturn I fear.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I hear you, know a couple myself but the R6 Cup bikes were kept and maintained/serviced/prepared by Yamaha/Virgin/Rob Mac so the rider never got to take them home. He would turn up on a Friday, do the pracctice then give the bike back until qualifying the next day etc.
A great formula that brought some real talent into the limelight.
Sadly the R6 Cup is no more, a sign of the economic downturn I fear.
Fantastic! That's probably the only way you can keep controls in place.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #26
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Different fluid than from the showroom floor.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
yup. on an 05 R6. Then it became a safety issue for me.
Interesting. I guess the R6 is just sprung for a heavier rider. I swear to gixxer front ends are sprung for a 160 lb rider in full gear.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Interesting. I guess the R6 is just sprung for a heavier rider. I swear to gixxer front ends are sprung for a 160 lb rider in full gear.
Depends on the year. An '06-newer GSXR is sprung at 1kg and that's good for 200#+. A lot of suspension doods believe that the springs are inferior though and not a consistent rate throughout compression/ decompression. I've seen some tests that "prove" that is true, but I don't know that it's true for all stock springs though.

For me, RaceTech calls for a 1kg spring on my '06 GSXR and that's what comes stock, so theoretically I could have just stayed with stock.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #29
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Fantastic! That's probably the only way you can keep controls in place.
It worked extremely well but larger framed riders (notice how I worded that Tom ) were at a real disadvantage because of it.
In 5 years I don't think I ever saw a rider over 160lbs!, most were around the 140-150 mark.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
It worked extremely well but larger framed riders (notice how I worded that Tom ) were at a real disadvantage because of it.
In 5 years I don't think I ever saw a rider over 160lbs!, most were around the 140-150 mark.
Fo sho, us big boys gotsta have special treatment! I've not ridden an R6 in a long time, but I have ridden the late model 600RR, ZX6R and GSXR600 and those were great on the track in stock form.

Of course, at the pace those guys were riding, that extra 10-20 pounds of weight was a big detriment if they wanted to run up front!

Everyone should be petite like me.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #31
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Fo sho, us big boys gotsta have special treatment! I've not ridden an R6 in a long time, but I have ridden the late model 600RR, ZX6R and GSXR600 and those were great on the track in stock form.

Of course, at the pace those guys were riding, that extra 10-20 pounds of weight was a big detriment if they wanted to run up front!

Everyone should be petite like me.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

great info
Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

That's a prety open ended question with a lot of variables for most people.
What does each individual racer weigh?
How close to "optimum" is their bikes stock set up for their weight?
What's their riding style? i.e. smooth on the throttle, hard on the brakes, etc.?
How old is the suspension with how much wear?

Lastly, how does YOUR bike feel to YOU?

Is it misbehaving in any manner? Do you feel like it's holding you back?

IMO, ANYONE can benefit from upgraded suspension.
That, tires and brakes are the best upgrades you can make to a track bike.
It's one less variable to concentrate on while learning to go faster.

The best you know is the best you've ridden.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #34
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Jason you puss, you missed an awesome day yesterday... You have alot of ground to make up now woman. Better get some new suspension
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #35
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That's a prety open ended question with a lot of variables for most people.
What does each individual racer weigh?
How close to "optimum" is their bikes stock set up for their weight?
What's their riding style? i.e. smooth on the throttle, hard on the brakes, etc.?
How old is the suspension with how much wear?

Lastly, how does YOUR bike feel to YOU?

Is it misbehaving in any manner? Do you feel like it's holding you back?

IMO, ANYONE can benefit from upgraded suspension.
That, tires and brakes are the best upgrades you can make to a track bike.
It's one less variable to concentrate on while learning to go faster.

The best you know is the best you've ridden.
and that's why i ask, because so far so good. but i'm not near my goal of being "fast". so at the moment my stock will do. i don't feel like it's holding me back yet. i feel confident on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Jason you puss, you missed an awesome day yesterday... You have alot of ground to make up now woman. Better get some new suspension
start up a thread of ur day brosef, i'm curious to hear about it
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #36
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

I don't race nor have I ever done a track day, that being said here is what I've experienced and what I've learned.

You can reap the benefits at a cost. Stock suspension once dialed in usually is enough for most riders. Once you start approaching the limitations of the stock suspension then it is time to start looking at upgrades. IMO, you should change one small thing at a time to really learn what it is impacting. Tomlstd had a good idea reconfiguring/machining stock parts to improve, it is not only cheaper but you can change just one or two things at a time. To get the feel you want. I wouldn't really spend tons of coin on an upgrade until you have reached the suspensions limitations then I'd start small.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #37
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
I don't race nor have I ever done a track day, that being said here is what I've experienced and what I've learned.

You can reap the benefits at a cost. Stock suspension once dialed in usually is enough for most riders. Once you start approaching the limitations of the stock suspension then it is time to start looking at upgrades. IMO, you should change one small thing at a time to really learn what it is impacting. Tomlstd had a good idea reconfiguring/machining stock parts to improve, it is not only cheaper but you can change just one or two things at a time. To get the feel you want. I wouldn't really spend tons of coin on an upgrade until you have reached the suspensions limitations then I'd start small.
that's where i'm at now. i feel like it's ok for the time being. as i get faster and push harder, i think i'll then, look into upgrading my suspension.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #38
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
that's where i'm at now. i feel like it's ok for the time being. as i get faster and push harder, i think i'll then, look into upgrading my suspension.
As long as you are confident, but not overconfident, on it I think you'll be okay. Of course everyone loves shiny fun new parts

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #39
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
As long as you are confident, but not overconfident, on it I think you'll be okay. Of course everyone loves shiny fun new parts
lol, i'm guilty of that
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #40
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

meh

Last edited by cdill35; 07-26-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: nevermind...might cause a ruckus. :D
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement