MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

racers; how long did ur stock suspension work for u?

to the racers; i'm curious if any of you have raced with ur bike's stock suspension? have any of u guys kept the stock on ur bike because u felt like it performed fine? or do all of u guys upgrade? my bike's suspension feels fine at the moment, it's been track set up. since then i haven't had any pucker moments. however, i'm all about goin faster and push myself and the bike to go faster. so i'm curious if anyone has just maintained their original set up.

preciate any info
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock suspension tune? AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-29-2013 08:34 PM
a laugh if ur stuk @ work bored jdm_phunk Off Topic 6 04-01-2010 11:27 PM
i need a long life tire what are ur thoughts Jerzey General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-01-2010 11:57 AM
Suspension question for you endurance racers Brian f. Taking it to the Track 5 02-23-2009 04:35 PM
suspension: cause and effect (long read, but informative) houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-28-2008 09:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Tried my first season on stock and realized immediately I needed to invest some coin.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I am 6"5' 250lbs. My stock suspension worked for me until I was running 1:48's at MSRH and 2 flats at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Then I upgraded. I ride with more confidence now which in turn creates far better lap times.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Stock works OK until you start getting faster. Very few bikes can have correct damping to go fast w/ the springs they have in them.

It is well worth the money not to be caught out by bad suspension, or bad tires for that matter.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I am 6"5' 250lbs. My stock suspension worked for me until I was running 2 flats at TWS (Texas World Speedway). .

Really? I'm only 230lbs and there's more than 1 turn at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that I complete sack out the stock suspension (besides the gravity bowl, obviously) and I'm running more like 2:20s.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Really? I'm only 230lbs and there's more than 1 turn at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that I complete sack out the stock suspension (besides the gravity bowl, obviously) and I'm running more like 2:20s.
yup. on an 05 R6. Then it became a safety issue for me.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Im not a racer, so take my words for what they are worth

I can run sub 1:40 laps at msrh with stock suspension.

But im 5'7" 135#

I do bottom out the forks when braking in, but im comfortable with it. Pushing the front isnt a bad feeling for me, its easier to control than losing the rear.

If you is set propperly and you bottom the forks out, id say its time to upgrade.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
sub 1:40 wtf clayton

let me know if u need to borrow my gopro .. this i have to see
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I think he meant sub 1:50......
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Time to hide a transponder on Clayton's bike.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Thomas

my novice year i raced a 99 r6 on stock suspension with a slip on exhaust. it was good for 53s at TWS (Texas World Speedway). but i spent money my first expert year on a 636 and got jim cambora to build me his suspension. really hated the bike and only got into 51s at TWS (Texas World Speedway). then i got my bone stock 06 r6 and ran 50s at TWS (Texas World Speedway). bought the ak20s and penske triple for the rear and the best time i have done is 48s there. i dont know much about suspension i just bought it bc i was told i needed it. but to be honest with you i dunno if it did anything for me. i think for me it was more of a confidence builder. lol just my opinion. but like somebody else posted its worth spending the money on suspension compared to replacing a bike bc its not feeling right to you
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

^^^all excellent info gents

i think i'm gonna run stock a little longer; until i get a lil faster
Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i can probably run near the same times on my gsxr with or without suspension as long as it's setup properly.....with the suspension it just feels easier and more comfortable......i guess i'm gonna go with everyone else's vote and say it's more of a confidence thing, which in turn yields better lap times.

my sv650 however, i wouldn't dare do the same times as i am running now with stock suspension. some bikes come with better suspension than others....just make sure it's set up to at least be in the ballpark.

i'll tell you this though, i can definately tell the difference between stock and aftermarket suspension if you put two identical bikes next to each other (besides suspension) and tell me to ride em both. but as a newer track rider, you may not be able to tell the difference. and i'm not blowing smoke up your , just tryin to help you save a few bucks.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
^^^all excellent info gents

i think i'm gonna run stock a little longer; until i get a lil faster
Have you signed up yet woman?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

I said and meant sub 1:40. Ill gladly take a transponder next time if someone wants to compare size. I got $500 saying i put down consecutive 39s.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

Or, tony, alonso, dustinJ and some others can back me up on that.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #17
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
I said and meant sub 1:40. Ill gladly take a transponder next time if someone wants to compare size. I got $500 saying i put down consecutive 39s.
From lookin at his trackday pics, I believe it....

not really concerned about the size though
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i can probably run near the same times on my gsxr with or without suspension as long as it's setup properly.....with the suspension it just feels easier and more comfortable......i guess i'm gonna go with everyone else's vote and say it's more of a confidence thing, which in turn yields better lap times.

my sv650 however, i wouldn't dare do the same times as i am running now with stock suspension. some bikes come with better suspension than others....just make sure it's set up to at least be in the ballpark.

i'll tell you this though, i can definately tell the difference between stock and aftermarket suspension if you put two identical bikes next to each other (besides suspension) and tell me to ride em both. but as a newer track rider, you may not be able to tell the difference. and i'm not blowing smoke up your , just tryin to help you save a few bucks.
at the moment, it's set up for track and so far it feels fine. sturdy through long sweepers and solid through quick dip leans. i felt the difference with having it set up for the st and then for the track. it was night and day. and i set it up for track when i realized i out rode the street set up. i had 4 pucker moments in 1 lap at msr. it was crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Have you signed up yet woman?
not goin to bro. this rain's keeping me on the sidelines this weekend. but good luck to ya tomorrow
becareful, msr is unforgiving after days of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
i've watched ur vids bro, ur clearly smooth and fast
Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #19
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

For many years one of the support races at BSB (British SuperBike) rounds was the R6 Cup.
This was a one make series on a control road legal tyre, the Dunlop 207RR followed by the 208RR.
Standard road bikes were fitted with race bodywork and a "race" silencer, that was pretty much it, no after market suspension was allowed. You picked the key to a bike out of a hat!
Entry was open to under 21's I think it was and first prize was a brand new R6roadbike and a season on the factory Virgin Yamaha Superbike in BSB!

Cal Crutchlow (leading the WSS championship as we speak) and Brendan Roberts (European Superstock champion with Xerox Ducati & now WSBK) are 2 names to come from it.

These guys used to put down some incredible lap times and there are many club racers on tuned and significantly better machinery that even today with the latest DOT race tyres can't get near those times!
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Standard road bikes were fitted with race bodywork and a "race" silencer, that was pretty much it, no after market suspension was allowed.

These guys used to put down some incredible lap times and there are many club racers on tuned and significantly better machinery that even today with the latest DOT race tyres can't get near those times!
Yeah, but "no aftermarket suspension" can mean lots of things... I'd be shocked (pun intended...) if they didn't do shim stack, spring, valving, and fluid mods/ swaps and other cartridge work with stock components. If that is the case then their suspension is really not "stock".

I think the OP is talking about a suspension that has the factory springs/ cartridge components/ fluid, etc.

To the OP, I seem to remember Garreth Spear racing on a stock suspension for quite a while as did Alonzo Contreras. Both of those guys were rippin' it up very well.

As stated before though, each rider is unique in regard to skill and ability to control the motorcycle, so those guys may be anomalies.

Personally, I haven't raced/ ridden track on a stock suspension since the late 80's (and looking back, boy was that an experience by comparison). I really love the way a well tuned and built suspension works. Modern talented builders can do some amazing things- my bike's suspension seems to get better the faster I go and as mentioned, what a confidence builder that is.

I've also ridden on friend's bikes (like a Daytona 675 and a 600RR, as well as a few Duc's and Ape's but I don't really call their Ohlins a "stock" suspension) with stock suspensions and they performed extremely well. Mark Niemi's '09 ZX5R was one of the most amazing bikes I've ever ridden in stock form! There is no doubt that these days stock suspension technology has grown by leaps and bounds to the point that you can near take them off the showroom and take them to the grid.

Advertisement