MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
JRP Letter to AMA PRO (June 2k9)

Pre-incident.

http://www.cornerspeedphoto.com/blog...o-ama-pro.html

I met the guy at Laguna in 2005 and was like. Who? Being a big fan of racing (though not of the AMA) I was like, srsrly? You're out here acting like you're a supahstah and I've never even heard of you.

Took about 2 seconds to catch myself and think.. chit.. who am I fooling. I would KILL to be in his position to race in the AMA. Hate the AMA or not, who wouldn't want to be a 'pro' racer.

This was pre reality show too I believe.. and the guy genuinely seemed interested in doing right by the sport.

More power to him for living the dream.

(but ya shoulda slowed a wee bit to let the leaders by)
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

this guy should be in obamas cabinet......lol
i thought thats what sponsors were for? Too give you money/equip even if you dont win? 100k seems a bit much for me, but i really have no idea the cost of stuff for them.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Interesting read.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Tying in the money NECKCAR makes and pay to Superbike is probably not going to be effective for his analogy though it is reasonably insightful. The simple response to that comparison would be "Well Mr JRP, when Superbike brings in the billions of dollars that NASCAR does, we'll pay those 30th place racers..."

What was it the last time JRP got in to the media for his whining? For the life of me I can't remember what it was, but it was a couple years ago. It didn't do him any good then and actually made him a laughing stock with his "fellow" racers iirc.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

Pay to 30th position, seriously? How about the France family get clear the out of AMA and take their rolling starts and Buell love with them?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Pay to 30th position, seriously?
If the AMA wants to mandate autograph sessions, and otherwise exploit the riders for publicity.........then yes, pay them.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
you all are over looking the most important sentence in the entire letter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rock Page
As many of you know, I’m trying hard to contribute, do my part and get the sport of superbike racing known in mainstream culture though my reality TV show “My Daddy Johnny Rock Page Has Gone CRAZY”, which comes out this week, and I will continue to do my part for the love of the sport and the fans.

say it with me now...."PUBLICITY STUNT" he's making a spectacle of himself just to spread publicity of himself, and his show, which just so happens to debut this week. how convenient!!
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
What was it the last time JRP got in to the media for his whining? For the life of me I can't remember what it was, but it was a couple years ago.
Was that when he and Duhamel had their "disagreement"?
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
Was that when he and Duhamel had their "disagreement"?
Yeah, and it was during rider's meetings (like more than one)... something about backmarkers then too! Dang I can't remember...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

I wonder how much the Isle of Man TT guys should get just for finishing in one piece.

I just watched the highlights and they said Steve Plater won 10,000 pounds for winning the Donlop trophy...that's not even enough to buy a new bike. I would have to assume that the individual races would pay even less on down to nothing based on that. Just not enough dough to go around without insulting the riders by giving them way too little for the places they finish in.

Advertisement