MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
start racing CMRA, you will have backmarkers. they can be used as strategy or can ruin your strategy.

doesn't matter if it's club racing or pro racing....there will always be backmarkers. everyone's gotta start somewhere.

for those of you that are on backmarkers....i used to be one, and so have many other fast guys. doesn't matter if you're racing for 1st or battling for last place....you're still racing and that's what it's about. my hat goes off to the backmarkers, because it takes just as much dedication and motivation to be out there racing. they might not be winning the gold, but they are winners at heart for being there....i would give anything to be a backmarker in the AMA right now or any other pro racing for the matter....because it's another accomplishment that many cannot achieve. a lot of speculations going on without empathy. your opinion has no value if you've never experienced it.

if i paid to be there, i'm not going anywhere if you take my money.
Agreed!

Not to point fingers or call anyone out, but a few of our really fast (I will never touch) guys have gone there and had some issues that if given time and equipment would go a lot better I'm sure. I certainly cheer for the guys bringing up the rear. I remember a time when I didn't know or hear the name Dominguez or Howard. These guys seemed to explode and take over. What's not to say they can't go there and do the same.

Like Tony's, this is a general answer
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):

...and another thing, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with JRP and his incident, but Mladin lost some cool points with me. On one hand he goes on and on about the antics of the DMG, (which I supported) then on the other he says that AL L was way too soft on JRP, he would have beem worse. Guess it's only for the "Elite" that Mat speaks for...
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #23
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
i forgot to disclaimer, i wasn't directing my comment to anyone in particular...just wanna say it in general.

you guys see a lot of new racers Tom, and i'm sure you guys can judge their license school as to where they will place in the pack of a race, and i'm also sure you guys see the biggest smiles from the slower guys along with the faster guys.

people's comments about backmarkers and slower riders discourage others from trying to go out and race. i encourage everyone to go out, fast or slow....sign up for the race license with LSTD and get out there and race. it's a lot of fun, and we all gotta start somewhere. i was just as happy being a backmarker as i am a leader of the race.
Absolutely not my intention to discourage anyone; when i started this thread I had just watch a race with PRO RIDERS where the guy in the back just would not get the out of way, which possibly affected the results of the race. I was just thinking that at that level of competition, all the riders should be competitive. Of course when you are racing at the club level there are going to be brand new racers at the end of the pack. I hope to start, my self, and suspect that I will probably be in that spot.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #24
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimes View Post
Absolutely not my intention to discourage anyone; when i started this thread I had just watch a race with PRO RIDERS where the guy in the back just would not get the out of way, which possibly affected the results of the race. I was just thinking that at that level of competition, all the riders should be competitive. Of course when you are racing at the club level there are going to be brand new racers at the end of the pack. I hope to start, my self, and suspect that I will probably be in that spot.
and it goes the same for pro racing. club level is just an entry level to fun or pro riding. nothing beats experience....as i've said, i was once a backmarker in the CMRA, and if i hadn't started before, i probably wouldn't be where i'm at now. you gotta be in it to win it.

it's kinda like high schools playing in city, before going regional, then national....gotta work your way up the ranks.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
Grimace

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
and it goes the same for pro racing. club level is just an entry level to fun or pro riding. nothing beats experience....as i've said, i was once a backmarker in the CMRA, and if i hadn't started before, i probably wouldn't be where i'm at now. you gotta be in it to win it.

it's kinda like high schools playing in city, before going regional, then national....gotta work your way up the ranks.
10-4, thanks for the info. I simply didn't know, and that was the reason that I started the thread. I certainly wasn't trying to be insulting or just talk .
Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #26
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
start racing CMRA, you will have backmarkers. they can be used as strategy or can ruin your strategy.

doesn't matter if it's club racing or pro racing....there will always be backmarkers. everyone's gotta start somewhere.

for those of you that are on backmarkers....i used to be one, and so have many other fast guys. doesn't matter if you're racing for 1st or battling for last place....you're still racing and that's what it's about. my hat goes off to the backmarkers, because it takes just as much dedication and motivation to be out there racing. they might not be winning the gold, but they are winners at heart for being there....i would give anything to be a backmarker in the AMA right now or any other pro racing for the matter....because it's another accomplishment that many cannot achieve. a lot of speculations going on without empathy. your opinion has no value if you've never experienced it.

if i paid to be there, i'm not going anywhere if you take my money.
well put
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #27
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
casey stoner was a backmarker in brno last weekend.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
i forgot to disclaimer, i wasn't directing my comment to anyone in particular...just wanna say it in general.

you guys see a lot of new racers Tom, and i'm sure you guys can judge their license school as to where they will place in the pack of a race, and i'm also sure you guys see the biggest smiles from the slower guys along with the faster guys.

people's comments about backmarkers and slower riders discourage others from trying to go out and race. i encourage everyone to go out, fast or slow....sign up for the race license with LSTD and get out there and race. it's a lot of fun, and we all gotta start somewhere. i was just as happy being a backmarker as i am a leader of the race.
Right on Tony, even if I did start to sprint again I won't be a pack leader- I've come to realize (actually a long time ago) that I personally just don't have the talent to be a cut-throat sprint racer and take the risks to ride up front for 8 laps. I'd be a backmarker fo sho

Now in endurance, that's where racers like me can shine- do some consistent laps, don't crash, and try not to get caught up in racing the dudes that are so much faster than you are. For that, there really are no "backmarkers" because unless you're Derek Wagnon, Gabe McClendon or Andy Galindo, everyone is a backmarker in endurance
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
casey stoner was a backmarker in brno last weekend.
I know, right.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #30
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
10-4, thanks for the info. I simply didn't know, and that was the reason that I started the thread. I certainly wasn't trying to be insulting or just talk .
i didn't take it that way, but just wanted others to know that being midpack or back of the pack is not a bad thing. it's just another experience that everybody needs to feel to make themselves better. at one point or another, you will be at the back of the pack....casey stoner anybody?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #31
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

You say Back Marker like it's a bad thing......
Dwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #32
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyatt View Post
You say Back Marker like it's a bad thing......

it's better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
all the riders should be competitive.
as long as you have factory efforts racing with privateers.............this is unlikely to happen.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

Hey Tom,
any clue as to why the CMRA doesn't use the blue flag for sprints. It seems to me it would be safer for everyone. I've had bike issues before and ended up the backmarker just to retain points and looking back to stay out of the way sometimes was dangerous. The only problem I guess would be the fact that there are several races within a single race and you wouldn't want the leader of one class to slow down or move over to let another person by. But at least it would alert the riders that a faster bike was behind them.
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongore View Post
Hey Tom,
any clue as to why the CMRA doesn't use the blue flag for sprints. It seems to me it would be safer for everyone. I've had bike issues before and ended up the backmarker just to retain points and looking back to stay out of the way sometimes was dangerous. The only problem I guess would be the fact that there are several races within a single race and you wouldn't want the leader of one class to slow down or move over to let another person by. But at least it would alert the riders that a faster bike was behind them.
I don't know. When I worked for the SCCA Crash Team the SCCA officials used 'em. A LOT of them used them improperly too... almost like they just wanted to wave the flag...

Probably because the CMRA cornerworkers are almost always a different group of folks.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #36
level5
moving chicane

I am a proud back marker and if you see my tail section, you'll know it's me. If I can't pass you, I will make sure you will have a hard time passing me.
If you removed the backmarker, then winning on points is useless because sometimes, you don't win the race but you can still win on points.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement