MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

new track in cresson

just got back to the hotel here in granbury(endurance racing tomorrow)...

did a lstd today on the new track up in cresson...

O...M...F...G!!!... uphills, downhills, blindcurves, technical turns, switchbacks, and TONS of elevation changes... this has to be the most technical course built so far in the state... the picture really doesn't do it justice...

badass trackday!...

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 03-24-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cresson 3.1 track lap video Deano3090 Video's and Photo's 0 07-22-2009 06:06 PM
msr cresson 1.3 track mekrew Taking it to the Track 14 09-25-2008 03:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

noice!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
ratmzapa

Member Garage

my parents live right by there..

Old 03-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

sweet.....

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

what team you on?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Well... since this is the first (and probably only time ever) I can say this, I have to. :lol: Being one of the most experienced riders in the world on this new portion of the track, I'd like to give you all a brief rundown of the track layout and conditions.

First off let me start by saying that in the AM is was COLD!!! We're talking sub freezing temps. I went out to my bike around 7am and this is what it looked like.

img01698na

Yes, that is ice on my seat. I had to use a credit card to scrape my windows on my truck. Luckily though, it warmed up rather quickly and the track heated up real nice. Unfortunately because of all the rain the area had last week the track was very dirty. There was sand/dirt in pretty much every corner. It was quite slippery one session and even lead to my first off track excursion in almost 2 years. I was hard on the brakes for the 2nd to last corner and hit some dirt. Locked my front which proceeded to skip along the tarmac. Luckily I kept it up and just went straight off the track.

Now, to the track... I was lucky enough to get in 6 sessions despite leaving at 4:30. I got in 118 miles on the new track which is 1.3 miles in length. So I figure I did around 85 laps or so.

The first thing that strikes you the most is huge elevation changes. The LSTD guys were telling me there is around 85ft of elevation changes... and you definitely notice it! The track, when being run by itself, starts out with two downhill left handers. The second of which leads into a deep elevation change. Here is a pic...

img01732ww

The 2nd cone from the left is right at the apex of the 2nd of those two left handers. You then shoot down hard down the hill, full throttle. I was in third gear. You will then start leaning in towards the curbing there on the bottom right of the picture.

Down at the bottom of the hill (not pictured) you will get on the brakes, not too hard though and set up for a hard left hander. You can barely see the left hander in this next pic. The apex is right in between the two metal things... you can barely see the top of the cone. I think the key here is to early apex it so you can get on the gas hard on the exit. I passed alot of people on this corner exit because they were going in way too deep. You can then see that left hander is followed by a soft right hander which is then followed by a fairly quick left. If you get the proper line out of the first left, you can take a pretty straight line through there and stay on the gas the whole time.

img01741mg

The next turn, the uphill left hander is crazy! Not only is it a HUGE change in elevation in such a short time (the pic doesn't do it justice) but it flattens out very quickly at the top which was causing me to spin the rear up a bit. Alos, it may have been because it was a bit dusty, but I was pushing my front like crazy there. I had one slide where the front REALLY moved around on me.

After exiting that uphill lefthander (in 2nd gear) you will start to head back up hill. There is a blind left hander at the top, which is quite quick (not pictured). There were atleast two people who started the turn towards the outside and didn't get the bike leaned over in time. They both crashed pretty hard once the crested the hill and were pointed into the dirt. It's hard to describe it, but if you aren't at the inside of that left while cresting the hill, you are in trouble. Not only is your line screwed up, but you have the very real risk of going straight into the infield like the aforementioned.

Following that left hander of the crest you dive right back down towards a long decreasing radius right hander. This turn seems to take forver.

img01754zm

Upon exit of the long right hander you will start back uphill over another blind left hander, though this one isn't near as tight. However, if you have enough throttle and speed... you can get a nice little powerwheelie over the crest. At this point I'm hitting the top of 3rd gear. You have to get real hard on the brakes here (I think it's the hardest braking spot on the track) to set up for a slower 2nd gear decreasing radius left hander. I had trouble with this turn all day long and just couldn't find a good line on it.

img01721zd

After this you bang up into third, accellerating hard. There is one last turn... a very fast 3rd gear left turn. I was right up near the top of the gear hitting this turn. Upon exiting I briefly touched 4th gear then got hard on the brakes for the two downhill left handers that start the lap all over again.

I can't begin to tell you all how much fun this track it. Most of the time I left the F4i in 3rd/4th gear and just had fun learning the track and finding lines. It is a VERY physical track, today I feel like I ran a mini race yesterday. My legs are quite sore. That being said, there aren't that many places to pass so you have to work hard to find good/safe spots.

SOrry if the track description isn't the best... it's my first time doing a write up on a lap around a track.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Nice write up Steve I can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo34
Nice write up Steve I can't wait to try it out.
+1, I like the pics to go along with the write up, caught myself leaning in my
computer chair through a couple turns. :icon_bigg
Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

sticky this mans post on the track layout! he worked hard and i bet revised it about 20 times.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Good luck Henry!!

Great write-up Steve!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
Old 03-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
EXCELLENT write up Steve O Chap. Next LSTD track day there is May 1st, I'm going to make the trip up there now just to check this track out. Looks awesome. :notworthy
Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

bad track.. wheres this at?? what does a track day there cost?

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto
EXCELLENT write up Steve O Chap. Next LSTD track day there is May 1st, I'm going to make the trip up there now just to check this track out. Looks awesome. :notworthy
Thanks... the track is definitely badass. Very technical and very physically demanding. My legs are sore today. But... I did do around 85-90 laps.

I want to get up there for th May 1st trackday... they will be running the entire 3 mile course, connecting the old track with the new. That should be awesome. I hope to get up there for that one as well.

I signed up for the 4/21 date at TWS (Texas World Speedway)...
Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #14
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Glad you had a good time Henry! Good luck tommorrow, I hear endurance is the best way to learn a track.
Steve-O,
that was a great write up, I feel alot more prepared for the track after reading it.
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #15
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
what team you on?
Team 3X Racing

We placed ninth in our division... :eh:

Speedismo was also out there racing yesterday! :topsecret

Whatup? How'd ya'll do in the endurance?... :dontknow:

Good writeup SteveO! - Good seeing you out there!

My legs are killing me this morning...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykline
bad track.. wheres this at?? what does a track day there cost?
motosportranch in cresson, tx... for more info - just checkout:

http://www.lstd.com
Old 03-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #17
speedismo
OCD for speed

i havent been on that track yet, just saw it yesterday, it surely looks like the best i have seen till now.

and Henry, i had one of a time, that is till the second last lap when i ran off track in the left hander on rattlesnake. it was all fine and i though i could get it back on track but the soft mud gave away when i tried to do that and i went down. just picked it up and completed the remaining 2 laps, but still ruined a kickass day otherwise. i need to work on this..2 lowsides in 4track and 2 race days doesnt look like a good record. worst part is, they were both avoidable crashes:BangHead:

btw, looks like 3X racing was also running Aprilia RS50, like Weaver racing (that is us). i was too off on myself to check our division standing, but I mostly ran 1:58-59s. my best lap was 1:57:987

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
Closed Thread