MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I have typed at least 3 responses to this thread, but can't seem to hit the post reply button.

is telling me to be silent.

So I'll just say this... I come to the racers lounge to hear from fast people. And I know who is fast, and who is not.

www.cmraracing.com (sprint results) is your friend.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Trackday! Rael Taking it to the Track 17 04-16-2013 10:36 AM
Other Forum Rant / Car Audio Forum? MiniG0D Off Topic 5 05-22-2011 12:38 AM
Never been to a trackday...? Anyone here? Snow Taking it to the Track 21 12-06-2010 12:03 PM
Trackday Needs... Mala Lingua General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-05-2008 07:54 PM
My first trackday...... mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-14-2006 11:58 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #42
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
True,but much of the advice is and wholly different from "sound advice". And much of what isn't eventually gets whored up by those who don't race and seldom do track days.

I post PURE in the Off-Topic area; I stay the outta the stunt areas. Maybe it's asking too much, but I'd kind of expect those without at least some knowledge of the track and genuine experience to stay the outta the race forum.
Agreed! Unfortunately it has become a case of weeding out the bs. Those who have been here awhile generally know who they can trust when it comes to advice. The guys who are new here tend to suffer, I just hate to see the segregation in it all.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #43
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
True, but much of the advice is and wholly different from "sound advice".
And some of this comes from "actual" racers. There's plenty of fast people who do what they do, and don't have a fscking clue as to why they do it or the hard facts behind how it works. There's so much in this sport thats entirely subjective that there really isn't a good way to seperate the from the fact. Even making a super double secret section for racers wouldn't accomplish this.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #44
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Agreed! Unfortunately it has become a case of weeding out the bs. Those who have been here awhile generally know who they can trust when it comes to advice. The guys who are new here tend to suffer, I just hate to see the segregation in it all.
What are you doing in here Gonzo? Everyone knows you don't race!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #45
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
And some of this comes from "actual" racers. There's plenty of fast people who do what they do, and don't have a fscking clue as to why they do it or the hard facts behind how it works. There's so much in this sport thats entirely subjective that there really isn't a good way to seperate the from the fact. Even making a super double secret section for racers wouldn't accomplish this.
This is mostly true. Additionally, most "actual" racers get tired of repeating themselves (it's hard enough when it's spoken word, but writing it over and over again? Please!) and then having non-racers bash what they say and pick it apart whilst looking for some magical key to speed via osmosis. Best and proper lines, body position, physics equations, blah, blah, blah. Truth is, 90% of most people's problems here can be solved with this generic response: "You need more seat time."
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #46
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Technically, Ive got a race license and have been in a race before, but I know of several guys who only do trackdays that ware faster than me and could teach me alot. I KNOW for a fact, Im not the only one in this position.
+1 but I have not actually "raced" yet!

I think this thread strikes at a very sensitive subject but opens the door to a real issue. Are trackheads and racers the same thing? The answer is yes in my opinion, but there are subtle differences. Speed has very little to do with it, i have seen both that were pretty bad and could give one another a run for their money any day of the week.

I realize now that dingleberry that started this thread was really talking about wasn't the difference between racers and trackheads but more about "hey i just want advise don't push anything on to me".... which I think is kinda silly but hey you know I hate the AMA / MotoGP commercials too but I can't seem to make them go away unless I DVR the races. Unfortunately, advertisement is a way of life and it isn't going away...

my nickle....
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #47
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
+++++1 you have got to pick folks you trust and figure out who is full of , that was the worst thing when I started last year! Luckily, I met up with some really senior guys and worked it out. I just don't see the difference between a trackhead and a racer other than the cash it takes to race every month. I have learned so much from both....
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #48
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

The difference is simple. Racers Race.

By that I mean, just about every single race for several years straight.

Money be damned!!! I've been racing since 1996 pretty much non stop. A couple of those years I was w/o a friggin home. I lived at the shop on a futon.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #49
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
The difference is simple. Racers Race.

By that I mean, just about every single race for several years straight.

Money be damned!!! I've been racing since 1996 pretty much non stop. A couple of those years I was w/o a friggin home. I lived at the shop on a futon.
Exactly why folks don't get into racing....I have just as much fun going my own pace. I don't see the fun in living with no home just to race.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #50
DNGRMOUSE
Banned

Location: Noorf East side, Hillbilly , In the Dog house normally

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'97 Honda VFR 750
'09 Buell Firebolt Xb12R
Fatboy
Tricycle
pocket rocket

User is banned

DNGRMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #51
DNGRMOUSE
Banned

Location: Noorf East side, Hillbilly , In the Dog house normally

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'97 Honda VFR 750
'09 Buell Firebolt Xb12R
Fatboy
Tricycle
pocket rocket

User is banned

DNGRMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #52
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I think this topic and the poll Chris posted could be moved to the "news and feedback" forum honestly- it doesn't have anything (really) to do with racing or track days either IMHO.

I think the forum descriptor for this forum says it all.

Yeah, we (meaning the track day org staff) do sell our organization, and we pay for that privilege. We also do a ton to promote the sport and this website, I think begrudging us (collectively) a bit of leeway with self-promotion is not much to ask. After all, everyone talks about their first taste of the trackpipe and where they got it, I think that is worth while to promote.

I personally have been making a conscious effort to curtail the "sales" in threads because I too tire of seeing it (even from myself). Sometimes there are threads that cause us to look at whether a response is useful and/ or necessary- sometimes I respond with a mention of what our org offers, sometimes I respond without mentioning it, and sometimes I don't respond at all.

Like Linz and Keith have mentioned, responding to the same questions and threads is tiresome. Most of the truly gifted instructors and racers/ track day riders I know don't even get on the internet let alone forums like this one.

I actually had a few in-depth conversations and PM's with a certain person on here who's initials (for the sake of anonymity) are Lindsey Leard about being a better participant in the "racer's forum" since he has such a depth of knowledge. Not to say who this anonymous person is on this forum, but I can say that it seems that he has either chosen to curtail other activities in this forum to be a better contributor as evidenced by some feedback about him and the things I've observed

While I may be guilty (real or perceived) of some of the accusations by the OP and others of the "problems" in this forum, I like to think of the major majority of my posts as helpful. Yeah, sometimes I get in to matches and arguements with folks, and that is an item I am aware of and work on, but by and large I think that most of the org's staff are there to help. Some only post shameless self-promotion, but again, that's a privilege that is paid for.

My vote on the poll was to keep it from being segregated- I see no real use in another forum/ sub-forum. But if it is the opinion of the users that it gets segregated so be it. You won't "cure" any of the "problems" (real or perceived) by doing it, it's an "all access" web site after all.

My $.02
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #53
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Well, my last post was apperently deleted, so I will say this:

I will stay out of the racers lounge, since I don't race anymore, but, where should I go to post about trackdays, if the racers don't want me in here?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #54
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

I will stay out of the racers lounge, since I don't race anymore, but, where should I go to post about trackdays, if the racers don't want me in here?
what did your last post say....post it again, i'll keep refreshing til they man handle your post again

i think the forum is fine the way it is.....things will get complicated quick otherwise.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #55
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

I think its fine the way it is. Lets just try to keep some of the BS out of it.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #56
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

I dont think this reaction is anyone here's point. All of us, one of us.
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #57
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
OK this thread is officially retarted.

I don't race, but i'll make threads in the racers lounge if I well please. And I'll reply to other non-racers threads that are posted in the racers lounge. You want to talk strickly about racing?? Go to the CMRA, CCS or WERA forum and have at it, theres A LOT more racers there.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #58
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #59
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
OK this thread is officially retarted.

I don't race, but i'll make threads in the racers lounge if I well please. And I'll reply to other non-racers threads that are posted in the racers lounge. You want to talk strickly about racing?? Go to the CMRA, CCS or WERA forum and have at it, theres A LOT more racers there.

+1
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #60
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Has the Racer's Lounge become the new Circus.......

Man I miss that section.

Advertisement