MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Sprocket change for the track?

I was doing really good in my corners, and one session I got stuck behind someone that was taking them at a snails pace. You can't pass in the corners as a novice, but I couldn't pass him on the straights even though he was on a 600 like me (really me off and ruined that session). I talked to an advanced guy and he recommended I either go down a tooth in the front, or up three in the rear. Is this something advisable to do now, or should I wait until I have some more track days under my belt?
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CBR 250r Front Sprocket Change Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-16-2014 09:50 AM
Weather change = clothing/gear change j_e_hurst General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-06-2012 01:01 AM
how do you change the front sprocket 2007zx6r rider4life How To's and Q & A's 21 08-30-2010 09:09 PM
HELP!!!! How do i change my front sprocket? Candy How To's and Q & A's 27 01-30-2008 01:57 PM
sprocket change? rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-18-2006 12:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Grimace

Another question I have is how this is going to effect my top speed. I was only able to get the bike to about 135 on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) before I ran into turn 1. Will the quicker acceleration help me go faster, or will the sprocket change make me top out at that speed?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I think now would be fine. It will give you some street time to get the feel for the change. Try -1 in front. If you want more go +2 in the rear. Most people recommend a new chain with the sprocket change. As long as you dont need to go faster than 145 ish you would be really happy with -1 and +2. You will run 9000 prm on the frwy at around 80 mph. Your speedo will also read 15 mph faster. This will clock more milage than actual. A speedohealer will correct it though.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You will get to the top faster. It will probably take about 15 off the top at -1+2.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

What bike are you talking about?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

zzr
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

I use to have -1/+2 on the r6, now I am at -1/stock and I like it much better. I think it really all depends on you, your bike, and your riding style though.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I didn't worry about any performance mods until I had several track days under my belt. My guess is that if you had a better line and better drive out of turn 15 (or any turn for that matter) you could have passed that guy.

But if you insist, -1 is a good place to start.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
-1 in the front will give you more low end speed (torque) which will be plenty for now. I doubt youll notice you top end, unless your going 160 down the front staright at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Next time just pull through pit lane if you can pass em
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

-1 in the front is equal to +2.6 on the rear. Starting at -1 is a great place to start. If you do this I would highly suggest a speado healer. This will make your MPH correct, and keep you from putting "ghost miles" on the bike for resale.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I didn't worry about any performance mods until I had several track days under my belt. My guess is that if you had a better line and better drive out of turn 15 (or any turn for that matter) you could have passed that guy.

I was told to pass only on the straights and was trying to be careful. It really was all I could do to stay out of his tailpipe in the turns though.

And I am unsure which one was turn 15, but if it was the last turn, it was our last lap so we had to pull into the pits.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiabag View Post
-1 in the front is equal to +2.6 on the rear. Starting at -1 is a great place to start. If you do this I would highly suggest a speado healer. This will make your MPH correct, and keep you from putting "ghost miles" on the bike for resale.
+100000 on SpeedoHealer. $100 and well worth it.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

-1+2 will bring the front up more then you want also.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Spend the money on track time. When you're starting out, thats your best investment. I understand wanting everything to be right, having your bike set-up perfect, BUT...

Lets say you get the gearing spot-on for your CURRENT skill/speed and for TWS (Texas World Speedway). Next time you go out, YOU'RE GOING TO BE FASTER, WHICH THROWS YOUR WHOLE "PERFECT GEARING" OUT THE WINDOW. Or go to another track, and its sure to be off.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

ALSO, mount a video camera if you have one. You can see where you're at on the tach... maybe you're at 9K RPM and you just need to go through that corner in 2nd instead of 3rd.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:

I agree. If the guys is moving at a snails pace then you should have no prob taking him using the correct line with the bike as-is. Taking the right line will give you a much better exit speed than someone freeways bombing the straights and parking it in the turns.

This helped me out when i was having the same prob with a guy on a gsxr750
Question: How much is the gearing gonna help you when the guy is on a bigger displacement bike?
Disclaimer: Im still a trackday noob
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #17
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimes View Post
I was told to pass only on the straights and was trying to be careful. It really was all I could do to stay out of his tailpipe in the turns though.

And I am unsure which one was turn 15, but if it was the last turn, it was our last lap so we had to pull into the pits.
Take a better line through 13, 14 and 15 then get enough drive to pass him on the front straight....then he will pass you back...then out brake him into turn 1.

Problem solved.

Or sell your zzr and put money into a different bike.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Spend the money on track time. When you're starting out, thats your best investment. I understand wanting everything to be right, having your bike set-up perfect, BUT...

Lets say you get the gearing spot-on for your CURRENT skill/speed and for TWS (Texas World Speedway). Next time you go out, YOU'RE GOING TO BE FASTER, WHICH THROWS YOUR WHOLE "PERFECT GEARING" OUT THE WINDOW. Or go to another track, and its sure to be off.
+1 no need in dumping any money in yet. Why not jump up to int. next time and see how that goes. There will be slow people in everygroup, but the pace is definately quicker. Also use the hot pit when you get stuck behind someone. If you were riding his , chances are you were starting to get frustrated and fall into his lines, and make his mistakes. Pit out for a minute then youll be good to go.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post

Quote:
Take a better line through 13, 14 and 15 then get enough drive to pass him on the front straight....then he will pass you back...then out brake him into turn 1.

Problem solved.

Or sell your zzr and put money into a different bike.

+eleventy million

Focus on raising your skill level, then spend the money on mods
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimes View Post

If this only happened once and it was on the last lap or even just occassionally, the best thing you can do is get more track track experience.

After ensuring the bike is solid from a safety perspective, upgrade the rider and then upgrade the bike.

You'd be shocked at what an intermediate rider could do on your bike in terms of speed, braking, and lap times.

Advertisement