MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
Thermalser

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
FZ1, GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
So this weekend I was talking to my buddy at the track and he was giving me recommended reading on different theories and just different elements to make you perform better on the track. What have u guys read that totally opened up your mind and made you analyze your skills..

Twist the wrist is what he recommended.. im placing a big amazon order tonight so tell me what to add to my collection
I attended Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic last month. Parks's book is not written specifically for the track, but it does have some excellent information that can be very useful for both track and street.

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommended gloves please lucydad Gear Talk 36 03-09-2013 12:28 PM
Recommended Locks For Bike? haythamboi600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-05-2012 01:51 PM
recommended brands coojo Gear Talk 20 03-19-2008 01:30 PM
recommended tools? NisAznMonk General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-14-2007 11:43 AM
Recommended Tire Pressures MadseasoN How To's and Q & A's 10 10-19-2006 05:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhobbs View Post
The books already mentioned are a good start to at least get some of the terminology down, and to start thinking in the right direction. But I've never found a book that helped me more than somebody following me and telling me straight up that I sucked in one section, and that I should try something new at 4/10ths pace until I'm comfortable doing it.
Right-on Barry.

John Whitfill was at a practice day with us and I asked him to follow me around TWS (Texas World Speedway) to "give me some advice". If you know John, you know he doesn't mince words. Most of the feedback I had gotten up to that point from fellow racers/ team mates/ instructors was "man, you're doing fine". It's nice to hear, but doesn't offer any feedback and I didn't improve any.

John was on a TZ125 and I was on my SV. He went out with me around the track for about 20 minutes and let me pass him then passed me etc.

We got back and took off our helmets in the paddock and I was waiting for the "yeah man, you did fine" typical line. Instead, I got, " dude, your lines suck. Seriously, you race on those lines?" He then talked to me about where I was "sucking" and what I could do better, etc. We went out on the next session and I did what he suggested and instantly felt more comfortable and ran better laps. That race weekend I ran my fastest laps ever and we won our class in the endurance race. I can't help but think that my work with John is what helped the most- more than the seat time I got the day before (although that's part of it), and more than the "instruction" I received from others.

I recently got the same results from working with Ronnie Hay, Gabe McClendon and Wade Pruetz too... funny how them fast guys that know how to communicate can do those things.

Right-on Barry with your comments, as usual
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #23
Roadwareer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

total control by lee parks is a good read.
Roadwareer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
thanks for the imput I ordered a ton. and have got a bunch of videos cant wait to get back out to msr-h
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Dude...all you need this is before you ride. I promise you'll knock 3 seconds off.

cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #26
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
I was listening to some tunes last trackday in the morning to snap me out of a daze!!
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Dude...all you need this is before you ride. I promise you'll knock 3 seconds off.

classic

...wait, should that be in the trackday forum?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement