MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Recommended Reading?

So this weekend I was talking to my buddy at the track and he was giving me recommended reading on different theories and just different elements to make you perform better on the track. What have u guys read that totally opened up your mind and made you analyze your skills..

Twist the wrist is what he recommended.. im placing a big amazon order tonight so tell me what to add to my collection
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recommended gloves please lucydad Gear Talk 36 03-09-2013 12:28 PM
Recommended Locks For Bike? haythamboi600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-05-2012 01:51 PM
recommended brands coojo Gear Talk 20 03-19-2008 01:30 PM
recommended tools? NisAznMonk General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-14-2007 11:43 AM
Recommended Tire Pressures MadseasoN How To's and Q & A's 10 10-19-2006 05:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

twist of the wrist two is supposed to be a revision of twist of the wrist one
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Yeah thats a good book, alot of common sence stuff in it, but its worth reading for sure.

Its all about seat time and talking to the fast guys.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
That right there is a good advise. Last time I went to TWS (Texas World Speedway), I got to pit with Tony HOP. We talked about two curves in TWS (Texas World Speedway), I was able to drop my times 7 seconds yesterday, applying what Tony told me.

You could also look at Keith Codes articles, now if you want to read a great inspirational story, you can read "the little engine that could"
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Quote:
Yeah thats a good book, alot of common sence stuff in it, but its worth reading for sure.

I know thats why im not talking to you anymore

I kid you were my first instructor ever take that to your grave adam your the one that got me hooked..
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:

True, and I have a blast sitting around and bench racing with other guys/gals at the track. The bad thing is, unfortunately, much of the talk you get in the paddock is full of BS and slanted for their agenda. Ride with this trackday org.....ride these tires....I like these brakes....Most of the time your talking to someone that has ridden one type of motorcycle on a select few tracks, and in the grand sceme of things knows very little. I like reading and listening as much as possible. Take it all in and don't take it as the gospel. Compare it to stuff like what Kieth Code says in "Twist of the Wrist II". You might be surprised how much opinions vary.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
True, and I have a blast sitting around and bench racing with other guys/gals at the track. The bad thing is, unfortunately, much of the talk you get in the paddock is full of BS and slanted for their agenda. Ride with this trackday org.....ride these tires....I like these brakes....Most of the time your talking to someone that has ridden one type of motorcycle on a select few tracks, and in the grand sceme of things knows very little. I like reading and listening as much as possible. Take it all in and don't take it as the gospel. Compare it to stuff like what Kieth Code says in "Twist of the Wrist II". You might be surprised how much opinions vary.
I totally agree with you John... about listening to alot of uneducated experience...and I totally understand the concepts of seat time and being on the track ,hence the 3 tracks days in the last month and a half.. but the down time like now before school starts again in the fall... why not do something useful.. motorcycle riding isnt just a hobby anymore like it was when I was 16 and got my first street bike.. its a passion and im soaking it all in trying to learn the science ,theories and terminology behind it...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
I totally agree with you John... about listening to alot of uneducated experience...and I totally understand the concepts of seat time and being on the track ,hence the 3 tracks days in the last month and a half.. but the down time like now before school starts again in the fall... why not do something useful.. motorcycle riding isnt just a hobby anymore like it was when I was 16 and got my first street bike.. its a passion and im soaking it all in trying to learn the science ,theories and terminology behind it...

Looks like the addiction is in full swing!!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Ender's Game
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
++++++1

I am still very new to this whole game and I can tell you I hear more BS than anything that is actually really good advise. The problem is that you have to know how to weed through the BS to get to the good data. I have found that the long terms guys are good points of reference. But that doesn't mean that other folks don't have good information for your bike or something your doing wrong. It is ok to listen but ask 5 people a question and you will more than likely get 5 responses to the same question. Who has the correct answer? Most often there is no correct answer but more of an opinion of what works well for each individual. Kind of like shoes in my opinion... who make the best basketball shoe? It is all about which shoe feels the best to you.

As John pointed out (and John knows his ) it is about listening and taking the advise but make sure you understand that it is an opinion and not a fact. I can tell you there are very few facts in this sport (other than the obvious like you fall it hurts, no gas bike wont run )....

I have personally read Twist the Wrist (1 and 2) and I learned a lot but I forgot it all the first time I hit the track... Simply no replacement for hands on instruction and seat time. Find someone you trust and respect to help with the big like tyre pressure, suspension, etc etc and figure the rest out by using your head. After all you are the one riding the bike and at the end of the day you have to live with what you decide is good advise
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

the art of war....oops wrong thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

The ONE book that tells it like it is is Kenny Roberts - Techniques of Motorcycle Roadracing. The Keef Code stuff is just kinda fluffy BS. IMHO. Still good for the total noob, but thats it.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
The ONE book that tells it like it is is Kenny Roberts - Techniques of Motorcycle Roadracing. The Keef Code stuff is just kinda fluffy BS. IMHO. Still good for the total noob, but thats it.
i agree with mr. hertell

read em all, listen to guys with EXPERIENCE....not guys who just go out there and go fast.

not everyone can explain how they go fast....some people just do it. what works for one person, may or may not work for you. just use any info you get as a baseline, then adjust to fit your riding style/skill level.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I don't read . I ask questions of the fast guys then I actually try what they suggest.

And I don't blame my bike.

And when the movie comes out...I'll watch it.

Oh yea..and I listen to rap music before I ride. That's the key.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

My secret is that I just don't go fast cause I am slow as ... then nobody bothers ya :-)
Old 07-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
True, and I have a blast sitting around and bench racing with other guys/gals at the track. The bad thing is, unfortunately, much of the talk you get in the paddock is full of BS and slanted for their agenda. Ride with this trackday org.....ride these tires....I like these brakes....
That's BS John and you know it

The real answer is that as long as you attend Lone Star Track Days, riding Bridgestone Tires, with Vesrah Brake pads, you'll learn more than anyone else on other tires and brakes

Seriously, if you check out some of the literature that's out there- I've seen a good selection in Barnes & Noble and other book stores, read as much as you can.

Taking instructional courses too at the track days or at Keith Code's school, Star School, Schwantz, etc. Even remedial work in basic or novice level classes can be very beneficial.

One of the things I learned long ago (not even in regard to motorcycles or racing but certainly applies) is that if you think you've got nothing to learn, you need to hang it up. Keep learning every day and be a real student of the sport, you'll reward yourself with more fun and excitement in the long run!

Read it all, talk to 'em all, and do it all
Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i agree with mr. hertell

read em all, listen to guys with EXPERIENCE....not guys who just go out there and go fast.

not everyone can explain how they go fast....some people just do it. what works for one person, may or may not work for you. just use any info you get as a baseline, then adjust to fit your riding style/skill level.
SHAZAAMMMMM!!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Oh yea..and I listen to rap music before I ride. That's the key.
Well, that's the problem right there!

Hip-hop music.....

bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
SunnyR6

Bike(s):
Saigon BB125 with a kitty basket on front.
09 Yamaha R-1 with a GSXR 1000 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Well, that's the problem right there!

Hip-hop music.....

hip-hop-anonymous?
SunnyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
barryhobbs

Listen to and follow the old guys on slow bikes that just disappear from you. That's worth more than most books when it comes to actually riding the bike. It's why I specifically excluded "riding techniques" from track day book. Fast guys on fast bikes won't help you much, esp. if they're flying the hottest/newest stuff out there. Buy a slow bike and learn to use what it's got. Your sv is a great choice. Slow enough to not let you make up for lack of skill with throttle, and good enough to provide a challenge to yourself as you learn. Plus, it can be made into a giant killer a la what Falt does every race with his. Listen to the instructors when they talk about the guys with mega-liter bikes that just park it in the corners. It's generally not kind, and they're the ones that never seem to learn how to get smoother and better. You never have to apologize for being slower on a slow bike, but you sure can crow when you're faster on a slow bike.

Be comfortable on the bike, spend time making it solid mechanically, and set up for you in terms of ergonomics/suspension. It's tough to learn when the bike is working against you and making you lose confidence.

Bring the right gear so you're comfortable, sufficiently watered, fed reasonably, and not constantly running around doing other stuff all the time. It's tough to remember all the stuff you want to talk about and learn from the instructors and other "fast guys" when you're hot, tired, dehydrated, hungry(or worse, nauseous), sore, and you still have to futz with something in your pits.

The books already mentioned are a good start to at least get some of the terminology down, and to start thinking in the right direction. But I've never found a book that helped me more than somebody following me and telling me straight up that I sucked in one section, and that I should try something new at 4/10ths pace until I'm comfortable doing it.

Barry Hobbs
http://www.dashzerosystems.com
http://www.ororcycle.com
CMRA #842 & #84
barryhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement