Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Question Mapping a Power Commander

I recently put a new power commander on the bike. The old one had a map from Motorcycles Unlimited that worked fine. I was wondering if anyone knows how to mess with a map. The site does not have one for my exhaust. I would take it to Motorcycles Unlimited but I have run out of time since I am riding TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Sat.

Thanks in advance!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a power commander CRAZY_ZX14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 09-20-2014 02:04 PM
My new Power Commander V. with turbo and power shifter Gixxer Geezer Health and Fitness 24 08-11-2011 01:52 PM
power commander 3 cbrwayne Performance and Modifications 9 04-23-2011 09:58 AM
Power Commander landon05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-12-2009 09:32 AM
Power Commander 03.gsxr.1000 Performance and Modifications 17 11-30-2007 04:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

You already know the answer to this. Custom map or remove the PC. Better yet just remove the thing and live w/o it...one less thing that can go wrong.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
You already know the answer to this. Custom map or remove the PC. Better yet just remove the thing and live w/o it...one less thing that can go wrong.
thanks martin, but you did not help me. dyno tune is out the question not worth it in my opinion.i jut want something that will run fine. Motorcycles Unlimited did a great job on the map that was on my other pc, looking for something like that. if i can not get it ill take it back to them when i have the time.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Hey Dean, what many folks do is download something close. Say you have installed an Arka full race system, but PCM doesn't have a map on the website. Instead they have a Yoshi full race... download that one instead. It won't be perfect but it will get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
JOEBUSA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
I recently put a new power commander on the bike. The old one had a map from Motorcycles Unlimited that worked fine. I was wondering if anyone knows how to mess with a map. The site does not have one for my exhaust. I would take it to Motorcycles Unlimited but I have run out of time since I am riding TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Sat.

Thanks in advance!
Can't you pull the map off the old one and put it on the new one? I know I can do it on my bazzaz
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBUSA View Post
Can't you pull the map off the old one and put it on the new one? I know I can do it on my bazzaz
Hey great Idea! I believe you can. Never thought of that. Let me try. Anyone have any comments regarding this?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If you think a dyno tune isnt worth it, how is a PC worth it? You can save you map and move it over. If you call DJ they will do it for you over the phone. They will remotely take over your comp.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
diggler

Quote:
Hey great Idea! I believe you can. Never thought of that. Let me try. Anyone have any comments regarding this?
It is extremely easy but you will need access to the old PC. You will need a computer as well.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Lap top is the easiest. You will need the 9 volt pig tail thing too I'm pretty sure.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I will be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the morning if you want me to do it real quick It will take less than 2 minutes. I will have to find my 9 volt pigtail for the old one.

Let me know so that I can bring my lap top and cable.

Also, a dyno tune is definitely worth it. It helped mine a lot. Much more linear without the big dip at 7k rpm that I had. It also increases the longevity of your valves by assuring that you aren't running too lean.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
If you think a dyno tune isnt worth it, how is a PC worth it? You can save you map and move it over. If you call DJ they will do it for you over the phone. They will remotely take over your comp.
Not worth it for me on this bike. How do I plug the old PC up to get the map off of it? And do I need the 9 volt piggy tail for the one currently on the bike?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
I will be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the morning if you want me to do it real quick It will take less than 2 minutes. I will have to find my 9 volt pigtail for the old one.

Let me know so that I can bring my lap top and cable.

Also, a dyno tune is definitely worth it. It helped mine a lot. Much more linear without the big dip at 7k rpm that I had. It also increases the longevity of your valves by assuring that you aren't running too lean.
your help would be greatly appreciated. Pm sent
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You need it for the one that isnt on the bike for sure.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Not worth it for me on this bike. How do I plug the old PC up to get the map off of it? And do I need the 9 volt piggy tail for the one currently on the bike?
If you can't find the 9 volt adapter, you can still do it. Just unplug the current PC's main cord from the harness. Don't worry about the injector plugs. Plug your old PC into the bikes factory harness and ground it (temporarily with an alligator clip or something). Now turn the key to "On" and do not start the bike. Plug your laptop into the old PC (the only one that should be on at this point). In the PC software click get map. Once it downloads it, save it to a location on your laptop. Now, turn the bike to off and unplug the old PC and plug the new PC back into the main bike harness. Turn the key to on position and plug the laptop into the new PC. This time you will load the map you just saved on your laptop (should still be loaded) and click send map. You are done!

You can now start the bike and make sure it sounds good and set your TPS 0% and 100% on the new PC.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i don't know how to say this politely since you are my friend dean....don't take it personally....you're an idiot!!!!!

if you really think a custom map is not worth it, you shouldn't have even put the pc3 in. that's their purpose.....to be able to tune YOUR bike with YOUR mods. you can have the same exact mods and same exact bike as mine, doesn't mean it'll work the same for our bikes.

just unplug the thing til you have time to get the right map loaded.....or ride it like it is.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i don't know how to say this politely since you are my friend dean....don't take it personally....you're an idiot!!!!!

if you really think a custom map is not worth it, you shouldn't have even put the pc3 in. that's their purpose.....to be able to tune YOUR bike with YOUR mods. you can have the same exact mods and same exact bike as mine, doesn't mean it'll work the same for our bikes.

just unplug the thing til you have time to get the right map loaded.....or ride it like it is.
Sounds right. I have the plug. You can borrow it.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #17
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

thanks tony! Ihave the right map loaded now. it's a semi custom map by one of your good friends. Still think I am an idiot? I just dont think its worth dyno-ing. I believe you would agree

Advertisement