Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #21
houstonch73
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Skully AR-1 motorcycle helmet AiJay General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 09-12-2014 02:23 AM
Motorcycle Helmet Mohawk... Why? AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 01-21-2008 06:31 PM
Ben's Motorcycle helmet auction ScooterTrash Off Topic 14 06-18-2006 03:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
CUSTOM ZX-14

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
ZX-14

WOW..... No helmet....but I still have to wear a seatbelt....
CUSTOM ZX-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #24
CUSTOM ZX-14

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
oh & this too.

arg
CUSTOM ZX-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #25
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM ZX-14 View Post
WOW..... No helmet....but I still have to wear a seatbelt....
That law is bullshit too. State shouldn't worry about who does or doesn't have their seatbelt on. Let the stupid one's get ejected from their vehicles and let the one's with brains take care of themselves.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #26
bkeros
Back on the Track!

Bike(s):
Ducati 749RS Full Race
Yamaha R1
CR 125
Ducati MH900e
Ducati S2R1000 Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Agreed as long as not ONE penny of my money has to go to fix your when you crash, including any tax dollars, subsidies, or increases in my insurance premiums.
Thankfully, the above promulgation of the "social burden theory" has been proven false. According to UCLA's "Hurt Report" (how ironic) of some years back, the per bed cost of injured, hospitalized motorcyclists in those states which have helmet laws was equal to the per bed cost in those states that do not have helmet laws. Conclusion: Across the board, wearing a helmet has no effect on the public cost of hospitalization of injured riders.

Sounds like BS? How can this be? In looking for a unified explanation, the report went on to add that apparently, many riders in the non-helmet law states didn't need a hospital bed, as, ummmm...they didn't make it to the hospital....

Ironically, in some cases, the cost of hospitalization of helmeted riders was greater because...they were around to need their other injuries fixed! Doesn't that sound backwards?

The Hurt Report also noted that, as a class, motorcycle riders were more likely to actually have health insurance than car drivers. By implication, one could conclude that the the social burden falls on the shoulders of uninsured CAR drivers, rather than moto riders!

I don't believe in helmet laws, and think they should be repealed for riders over 21 that have at least a year's experience. That being said, I own 6 helmets (!) and wouldn't think of riding anymore than a block without one....or my leather jacket, gloves, back protector & boots. But that's just me. Repeal the law, but ferchrissakes don't be a squid and wear your helmet (and the rest of the gear) especially if you're a noob!
WERA Ex #34
CCS Ex #34
bkeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #27
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeros View Post
Thankfully, the above promulgation of the "social burden theory" has been proven false. According to UCLA's "Hurt Report" (how ironic) of some years back, the per bed cost of injured, hospitalized motorcyclists in those states which have helmet laws was equal to the per bed cost in those states that do not have helmet laws. Conclusion: Across the board, wearing a helmet has no effect on the public cost of hospitalization of injured riders.

Sounds like BS? How can this be? In looking for a unified explanation, the report went on to add that apparently, many riders in the non-helmet law states didn't need a hospital bed, as, ummmm...they didn't make it to the hospital....

Ironically, in some cases, the cost of hospitalization of helmeted riders was greater because...they were around to need their other injuries fixed! Doesn't that sound backwards?

The Hurt Report also noted that, as a class, motorcycle riders were more likely to actually have health insurance than car drivers. By implication, one could conclude that the the social burden falls on the shoulders of uninsured CAR drivers, rather than moto riders!

I don't believe in helmet laws, and think they should be repealed for riders over 21 that have at least a year's experience. That being said, I own 6 helmets (!) and wouldn't think of riding anymore than a block without one....or my leather jacket, gloves, back protector & boots. But that's just me. Repeal the law, but ferchrissakes don't be a squid and wear your helmet (and the rest of the gear) especially if you're a noob!

Very good post!
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
If I can ride with no lid then MUST I wear a seat belt in cage
x2

i wear my lid regardless, but why is it that helmets are optional and i just got a ticket a week ago for no seat belt in my car in the treachours and deadly streets of west university
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #29
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

!
the hurt report is older then most of the readers of this board........

it also said

Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity.

The increased coverage of the full facial coverage helmet increases protection, and significantly reduces face injuries.

There is no liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
bkeros
Back on the Track!

Bike(s):
Ducati 749RS Full Race
Yamaha R1
CR 125
Ducati MH900e
Ducati S2R1000 Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

it also said

Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity.

The increased coverage of the full facial coverage helmet increases protection, and significantly reduces face injuries.

There is no liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.
Hahahahaa...yes it is, but it's findings are still considered axiomatic, even though the struggle to commission an updated report continues.

You raise good points. Some of those points have been used by ABATE (you know the ones - increase in neck injury / peripheral vision loss, etc.) to try and cast helmets as being a detriment to safety rather than a safety device. I don't know how many races the ABATE people have ever been to, or watched on TV, but I don't recall anyone showing up on a racetrack w/o a helmet..."detriment" or not! There is no serious argument about the effectiveness of helmets in preventing traumatic head injury.

Again, you raise good points, and I agree with all of them, but they're off topic. Really, my post was simply about the "social burden theory," not the particular effectiveness or ineffectiveness of helmets in general.

Of course, (also off topic ) what the report also said was that the BIGGEST predictor for accident / injury was License status and ALCOHOL.
WERA Ex #34
CCS Ex #34
Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:

it also said

One highside I had, I came down on my head and when my head got shoved into mt left shoulder, the rim of the helmet on my shoulder stopped any further movement and I think that pretty much prevented any neck injury. I did have the gnarliest bruise around my shoulder the shape of the helmet rim for weeks, though, but I will take that over a broken neck.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT713 View Post
why not wear a helmet? you'll change ur mind the first time u catch a piece of flying road debris with your face. love my lid, keeps the kisser kissable..
beacuse if I'm taking the 50 across the street from the parking lot to the gas station, I don't want to have to go home to get my helmet. I stunt all the time on the 50 with no helmet. and before you ask, my 50 is street legal. should I HAVE to wear my helmet while putting around the city street on my 50 at 15 mph? i can ride a bicycle faster than that and I'm not required to wear a helmet
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #33
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Again, you raise good points, and I agree with all of them, but they're off topic. Really, my post was simply about the "social burden theory," not the particular effectiveness or ineffectiveness of helmets in general.

well that socail burden is from medicine 27 yrs ago, nowadays they can keep a vegetable alive for a long long time........vs not as long back in teh caveman days........lol

so your comment might not be as true as it was 27yrs ago.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 07-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
beacuse if I'm taking the 50 across the street from the parking lot to the gas station, I don't want to have to go home to get my helmet. I stunt all the time on the 50 with no helmet. and before you ask, my 50 is street legal. should I HAVE to wear my helmet while putting around the city street on my 50 at 15 mph? i can ride a bicycle faster than that and I'm not required to wear a helmet
are you wanting mandatory bicycle helmet laws for adults? kids laws are already in place. you can putt at 15 but whats your 50s top speed?

and i;ve broken 3-4 bicycle helmets.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #35
bkeros
Back on the Track!

Bike(s):
Ducati 749RS Full Race
Yamaha R1
CR 125
Ducati MH900e
Ducati S2R1000 Monster

Quote:
well that socail burden is from medicine 27 yrs ago, nowadays they can keep a vegetable alive for a long long time........vs not as long back in teh caveman days........lol

so your comment might not be as true as it was 27yrs ago.

Maybe a bit harder when the brain is all over the concrete! (NICE!)
WERA Ex #34
CCS Ex #34
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #36
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #37
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
+1

(for darwinism)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #38
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
are you wanting mandatory bicycle helmet laws for adults? kids laws are already in place. you can putt at 15 but whats your 50s top speed?

and i;ve broken 3-4 bicycle helmets.
top speed on the 50 is 35mph. I can do that on flat ground on a bicycle and I'm not required to wear a helmet and the bicycle doesn't even have the visibility that the 50 does. the 50 at least has a headlight and taillight for cars to see me
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrein05 View Post
You should always wear your helmet unless your stupid, you never know what in his Acura is going to hit you!
or a honda civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
Why? If I want to go without a helmet, that should be my choice not the states choice
i always wear mine too, but im pro- choice and below is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
That law is bullshit too. State shouldn't worry about who does or doesn't have their seatbelt on. Let the stupid one's get ejected from their vehicles and let the one's with brains take care of themselves.
Ricky and I both got ejected from his truck 3 weeks ago; We both were in a coma for 2-3 days and I spent over a week in the hospital...HOWEVER, we are both not vegatables and ALIVE because we DIDNT have our seatbelts on.

The roof of the truck is almost to the seats. It flipped three times. If i was stuck in my seat and not going through the windsheild, We would both be DEAD forever, not close to it for 2-3 days....

aka, pro-choice.... ( i cant imagine a kind of accident where no helmet could save u, but none the less... when ur of age, you should be the one in control of injury and life risk)
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #40
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
or a honda civic

i always wear mine too, but im pro- choice and below is why

Ricky and I both got ejected from his truck 3 weeks ago; We both were in a coma for 2-3 days and I spent over a week in the hospital...HOWEVER, we are both not vegatables and ALIVE because we DIDNT have our seatbelts on.

The roof of the truck is almost to the seats. It flipped three times. If i was stuck in my seat and not going through the windsheild, We would both be DEAD forever, not close to it for 2-3 days....

aka, pro-choice.... ( i cant imagine a kind of accident where no helmet could save u, but none the less... when ur of age, you should be the one in control of injury and life risk)
in your accident, you flying MAY have saved your life. i've seen plenty of pancaked cars/trucks and occupants were still inside and alive. are you saying in general that not wearing seatbelts is safer?

does that mean your not going to wear seatbelts from here on out? cuz of the results of this accident?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Advertisement