MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #101
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

while turning and breaking is possible, it takes more effort to lean the bike while braking than it would if you were not on the brakes. I bet that is also the reason that is is easier to get through a corner if you are on the gas, it applies the force down so you get a little more traction coming out of the corner
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late/Trail braking timboslice Taking it to the Track 26 11-18-2010 07:12 AM
trail braking? Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-17-2008 12:25 PM
Riding Skills Series: Trail Braking tschreck Taking it to the Track 6 06-23-2006 07:30 AM
maximum braking RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-19-2006 12:39 AM
braking to the apex or not?? CarbonJames How To's and Q & A's 18 05-26-2005 08:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #102
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJgsxr View Post
So that being said braking/acceleration forces being applied in a lateral direction will cause force at a right angle to that force making the bike want to stand up.... correct?
that is how i understand it. I'm not a racer by any means, but physics of a gyro doesn't care if you are a racer or not.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #103
OJgsxr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
True, ultimately it all breaks down to feel, but I like understanding what is going on with my bike as well. Not to insult the racers but most of them don't want to know exactly whats going on and/or don't think, a lot of what they do is reaction and putting thinking into the equation slows them down. Least that's how it was for me and soccer, if I did pure reaction and instinct I played much better than actually thinking about every little thing.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #104
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
while turning and breaking is possible, it takes more effort to lean the bike while braking than it would if you were not on the brakes. I bet that is also the reason that is is easier to get through a corner if you are on the gas, it applies the force down so you get a little more traction coming out of the corner
so wouldn't that mean that turning left is easier on the brakes while turning right is easier on the gas..........or vice versa?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #105
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
so wouldn't that mean that turning left is easier on the brakes while turning right is easier on the gas..........or vice versa?
i think so, unless braking is causing a reaction that tries to lift the bike, which would stand it up in either direction, and acceleration accually applies a force in the downward motion which would help with traction and lean in both directions. I'm not sure exactly which way applying the brakes initially acts and what the reaction is but I do know it's in 90 degrees of somewhere and that somewhere possibly changes depending on the lean, but to say that there is no effect while braking or accelerating is just dumb. it DOES have an effect. the faster you are going and the harder you try to brake, the more the forces become apparent

Last edited by sbfuller; 07-10-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #106
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Dean, I agree. This is way off topic from Brandt's initial post and I remain interested in the fast, hard core racers response.

This new topic also interests me, i.e. the suggestion that a bike on the brakes is harder to turn in. The only plausible argument, which has yet to be made, is in regards to the contact patch and friction circle. The brake force in the longitudinal direction reduces the available lateral traction on the contact patch. Specifically, there is only a limited amount of traction available. The more traction that is "consumed" braking, the less traction available for cornering.I've yet to read another viable explanation. Further, this explanation doesn't hold water particularly well either since racers use trail braking to manage the available traction right on the razors edge.

which is the reason the hardcore braking is done before turning in. You should not increse brake pressure when leaned over, instead you should be 'trailing off'-which puts us closer to the op's original question. the only reason you would run wide when braking is if you increase while leaned over lose the front end and have to stand the bike up to save it.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #107
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
This is probably true, problem is this does not account for all "systems" (as put by popo) that effect turning a bike.........like suspension geometry changes.

Again, not taking a stance, im steering clear. But got to remember we are discussing bikes, and gyroscopes discussions are likely a big part, but not at all everything that accounts for a bikes turning characteristics which are undergoing constant change as suspension components move(which also include a rider).

Does anyone else feel like drinking already

Last edited by Brian f.; 07-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #108
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
This is probably true, problem is this does not account for all "systems" (as put by popo) that effect turning a bike.........like suspension geometry changes.

Again, not taking a stance, im steering clear. But got to remember we are discussing bikes, and gyroscopes discussions are likely a big part, but not at all everything that accounts for a bikes turning characteristics which are undergoing constant change as suspension components move(which also include a rider).

true, I just find it kind of interesting to try to understand how and why the bikes actually do what they do.

gyroscopic forces and wheelies... as you accerate hard, it puts more force in the downward motion at the back, if the back can't go down, then it raises the front. i know that is pretty simple but it puts it in perspective. that is why it's easier to wheelie at a lower speed, the change in velocity of the rotating mass is greater so you see more of a reaction
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #109
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
I think we need to seperate physics from "racer talk." Terms like "run wide" mean something a little different to different people. For instance: Take a single turn. Do all your braking before the turn. Take the same turn, trail brake instead of finishing all your braking beforehand. Apply an identical steering force (x). I'm saying that the bike will have a larger radius in situation B than in A (aka "running wide"). I think this is because the application of the brakes induces a force that FAR outweighs the reduction in angular momentum caused by the wheel slowing down.

A seperate question is whether or not the bike actually stands up. This one I've argued with several people, and I can't seem to come to a scientific conclusion. Most of the responses are similar to what you've said in your post "fast people do x so if it wasn't that way...why would they do it?"
Apply a steering force (we'll call it x) now get back on the gas. Forgot to include many facotrs here. Dependent on your def. of steering force, how much acceleration and when is it applied. If you go straight from trail braking to throttle you will run wide, but that has nothing to do with braking. If you apply maintenance throttle-depending how deep you are trailbraking then accelerate you shold not run wide. See how many factors are invlolved. TGhe op did notask to get science or physics involved. He wanted direction from the faster guys as to what technique they were applying and when. That will allow him to-based on many factors apply their technique and then improve his lap times.

I'm saying that the bike will have a larger radius in situation B than in A (aka "running wide").

b/c your on the gas too hard too early
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #110
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
so in order to test this we need to put my fat on a bike setup for your skinny . I'll sack out the suspension just sitting still so we can take that out of the equation.

Quote:
Actually, this is WAY more interesting than the work I'm doing.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #111
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
I'm saying that the bike will have a larger radius in situation B than in A (aka "running wide").

b/c your on the gas too hard too early
Yes. but WHY, and what constitutes too hard?

And who cares what the OP wanted to know? He checked out a full page ago. This is the new topic.

CMRA #302

Last edited by Chubby Racer; 07-10-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #112
OJgsxr

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
Quote:

I felt like drinking this morning when I woke up to make the day go faster but then I remembered I have to drive 3200 miles in the next 7 days

Ill ask Jason Pridmore when I see him on Monday in Colorado the answer to trail braking
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #113
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Yes. but WHY, and what constitutes too hard?

a 1000 different factors, depending on
tires-their wear, pressures, riders weigth, name brand,
suspension-related to ride height, and many other variables
when and where hes braking to
when and where the acceleration is picked up and how hard
where the rider is looking
year make and model of bike
weight of bike
weight of rider
rider's mindset
skill of the rider must be included too
etc etc etc

And who cares what the OP wanted to know? He checked out a full page ago. This is the new topic.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #114
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
okay, you guys just confused the outta me. i'm not sure who i agree with, or who i don't.

i must've mis-read some posts or somethin.....

who the cares about all that mumbo jumbo gyro shmyro stuff....half of us barely finished high school.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #115
rc51eviltwin

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

i cant stop thinking of all that mumbo jumbo gyro shmyro stuff,after all its what keeps the bike upright.and same time what fights you when initiating the lean.
when some pull on the bars hard enought into the turn,the engine's gyro force want to remain in the same axis.so in other words the bars are going one way and the bottom half of is going the opposite.thats why you're supposed to weight the pegs not pull the bars......or tank.
regardless some good fast riders can do very well without knowing or caring about this...
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #116
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
how did i miss this awesome thread ......

i want to be fast

Last edited by mekrew; 07-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement