MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #41
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I? Or Shouldn't I? wes_70x General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-06-2012 11:15 PM
some parent shouldn't be... gem Off Topic 76 11-10-2008 01:16 PM
why some shouldn't breed... jus10 Off Topic 22 06-27-2007 11:10 PM
Should I or Shouldn't I? Candie General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 04-15-2006 11:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #42
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
WHere are you getting these "feelings"? Since you haven't done trackdays that leaves you out ont he streets trying to get a feel for your crappy suspention set up. You are way over thinking things. Get on the bike, on the track and run a few sessions. THEN tell us how crappy it feels and what you want to improve. Nothing personal, but from the attitude you have now towards your bike AND those trying to help you, you already know if all. You'll crash before you ever get an inkiling of potential. Shut up for a second and listen to the massive quanitites of wisdom being handed to you for nothing.
There is soo much great advice out here. I bet once you have your suspension setup it will be a much better ride.

Get out to the track and LEARN!!! Don't try to be the fastest out their and push yourself straigt off the track. I saw that happen too much last track day. Go out their and have an OPEN mind. Knowledge really is power!! You will get to feel how your bike feels at speed in a controlled environment. Get ready to be addicted!!!
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #43
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I am riding a 94 zx7 at the track and it handles fine. If anybody is on crappy suspesnsion its me (15 years old and 56,000 miles) and I feel fine out there. Just come out and ride and get a good feel for the bike.

I plan upgrading the rear shock and s/s brake lines this year.
Thats because you don't go over 50mph on the track
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #44
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 560 Supermoto, Ktm 450 supermoto
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto
A whole wharehouse full..

You have had a lot of good advice given to you here on this post.. However. No amount of suspension tuning and reworking can make up for your riding style and or skill. I agree with most all. Get with someone that knows how to tune suspensions. It can make or break you. But if you ride like a goon or grab a hand full of break at the last minute even the best tuner isnt going to be able to help you. I would suggest. Go to a track day. Let someone ride your bike. Someone who knows suspensions. Get feed back. See if the bike is the problem. If you can relay to the tuner what is happening so they can understand they can get it corrected.. But if you say well the anologic gotal feedback transformer and the isotropic clapper deflection device dosnt seem to let me brake slide into turns....Your outta luck.. Your bike and style can get you hurt if not set up properly. Im sure Motorcycles Unlimited can help you. They are my competition. There are several guys on here that would more than gladly help you but you got to listen. Many factors are involved. Not just the suspension. IE Tires, brakes,Gearing,Chassis set up,RIDING STYLE,Suspension. on and on. Good luck and do it correct. Dont skimp and get hurt. Hospital bills cost way more than correct bike set ups.
.Wes
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #45
MudBug
Banned

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #46
speeddemon23

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
125 baja,
honda crf 150
ttr90 that im building for a stunt bike
building my sv650
09 crf fiddy(stunt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
dudeeee.....when you add too much spring (stiffer preload) you are CREATING the see-saw effect. when near maxed out, you now have a springy bike which is probably giving you the bobbing feeling.

you ask a lot of questions hoping to get the wrong answers. most of us have either experienced what you are trying to understand, or have heard the answers.....you already have the answer which has been explained MULTIPLE times.

if you think your suspension is bad.....try riding a stock SV650 that a lot of guys are still running on the track with....no rebound or compression adjuster in the forks, and a primative shock at best.

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR.....like many have said, take your bike to a PROFESSIONAL suspension guy for $25 and they'll adjust your stock stuff to work best for you. Motorcycles Unlimited does all the suspension work on my race bikes....they work so well that it's got me race winning results. they know what they are doing, and they'll give it to you straight.

so in short...

$25 PROFESSIONAL suspension setup. DO NOT ever follow anybody else's numbers, they usually don't always work for everybody else.

go do a trackday with what you got. skills/talent first....parts later.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000
speeddemon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #47
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
You have had a lot of good advice given to you here on this post.. However. No amount of suspension tuning and reworking can make up for your riding style and or skill. I agree with most all. Get with someone that knows how to tune suspensions. It can make or break you. But if you ride like a goon or grab a hand full of break at the last minute even the best tuner isnt going to be able to help you. I would suggest. Go to a track day. Let someone ride your bike. Someone who knows suspensions. Get feed back. See if the bike is the problem. If you can relay to the tuner what is happening so they can understand they can get it corrected.. But if you say well the anologic gotal feedback transformer and the isotropic clapper deflection device dosnt seem to let me brake slide into turns....Your outta luck.. Your bike and style can get you hurt if not set up properly. Im sure Motorcycles Unlimited can help you. They are my competition. There are several guys on here that would more than gladly help you but you got to listen. Many factors are involved. Not just the suspension. IE Tires, brakes,Gearing,Chassis set up,RIDING STYLE,Suspension. on and on. Good luck and do it correct. Dont skimp and get hurt. Hospital bills cost way more than correct bike set ups.
.Wes
Loud and clear.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #48
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

the "see-saw" sindrome is coming mainly from coming on and off the brakes and throttle.
even full ohlins suspension will not fix that.
good tires and seat time will though.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #49
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa