Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Should I or shouldn't I

I want to go to trackdays. My ultimate goal is to learn enough at trackdays to become a racer. Right now my suspension sucks. When I go through a turn it feels like I am on a see saw (nearly all of the suspension settings are a sport rider's recommended settins at full stiff). I am very picky about my , especially my motorcycle, and I want it to run perfect when I go to my first trackday. The problem is that I am waiting for a substantial amount of money to come in to up grade the suspension, and I don't want to miss the track season. When I feel stable on a motorcycle I really go all out, when I don't, I look like I have never ridden before. I don't feel stable on my current bike going into curves, and it has been suggested that after I get my suspension done that things will be better. Is it better to miss out on most of the season to get my suspension fixed or just say to with it and get a professional to adjust it as good as possible and go.

Last edited by Grimace; 07-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I? Or Shouldn't I? wes_70x General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-06-2012 11:15 PM
some parent shouldn't be... gem Off Topic 76 11-10-2008 01:16 PM
why some shouldn't breed... jus10 Off Topic 22 06-27-2007 11:10 PM
Should I or Shouldn't I? Candie General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 04-15-2006 11:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Gettting you suspension tuned costs $25

I am 200+ and run stock suspension. YOU WILL BE FINE.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Gettting you suspension tuned costs $25

I am 200+ and run stock suspension. YOU WILL BE FINE.
what kind of bike do you have? The zzr600 was marketed as a sport tourer and it is my lowly opinion (among others) that the suspension reflects that.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Redux

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimes View Post
what kind of bike do you have? The zzr600 was marketed as a sport tourer and it is my lowly opinion (among others) that the suspension reflects that.
You can track any bike. People track Katanas and VFR's
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

If you've not had Motorcycles Unlimited set up your suspension for your weight, that's where I'd start. And, it's only $25.00. Don't worry too much about improving the bike for your first track day with suspension and other go fast goodies. Ensure you have good tires, front brake pads and a fresh brake fluid flush and you'll be good to go.

After your first three or four track days, then you can start thinking about what you might want to improve. A typical approach is:

High quality tires like the Bridgestone RS003 (racing / street) or the multi-compound bt016. Pirelli also has interesting choices.

Stainless brake lines and great brake pads. Vesrah's rule (RJL or SRJL's). Some guys like the great EBC pads too.

Just those changes will likely last you until you get to the advanced run group. Then you can start thinking about other go fast stuff.

When you start, be thinking tires and brakes first. The last thing you need is more HP. If you happen to be usually light (say 130 or less) or quite heavy (say 220 or more), then suspension begins to make more sense early on.

-Curt

-Curt
Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:

I have an 08 R1, but I work at the track ALOT and have seen all sorts of bikes out there. Best advice is to take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and have them tune your suspension for $25. Your few trackdays will be spent getting down body position and lines. You will have to worry about your suspension by trackday 10 most likely.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
If you've not had Motorcycles Unlimited set up your suspension for your weight, that's where I'd start. And, it's only $25.00. Don't worry too much about improving the bike for your first track day with suspension and other go fast goodies. Ensure you have good tires, front brake pads and a fresh brake fluid flush and you'll be good to go.

After your first three or four track days, then you can start thinking about what you might want to improve. A typical approach is:

High quality tires like the Bridgestone RS003 (racing / street) or the multi-compound bt016. Pirelli also has interesting choices.

Stainless brake lines and great brake pads. Vesrah's rule (RJL or SRJL's). Some guys like the great EBC pads too.

Just those changes will likely last you until you get to the advanced run group. Then you can start thinking about other go fast stuff.

When you start, be thinking tires and brakes first. The last thing you need is more HP. If you happen to be usually light (say 130 or less) or quite heavy (say 220 or more), then suspension begins to make more sense early on.

-Curt

-Curt
I am about a hundred and ninetyfive pounds now, and owned a zr-7s that I had no problems with. My tires at the time were probably as soft as bricks. I had no problems going at high speed into turns. I have never felt comfortable taking turns in the zzr i now own. I thought it was just me, but I started to look up (on the net) what other people were experiencing, and the best that I got about the suspension was "very average" or "ok if you weigh less than 150". If you have the time or want look it up for yourself. I guess what I am trying to say it that I think that it is worth it to wait but if I am wrong am hoping someone will convince me otherwise.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I have an 08 R1, but I work at the track ALOT and have seen all sorts of bikes out there. Best advice is to take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and have them tune your suspension for $25. Your few trackdays will be spent getting down body position and lines. You will have to worry about your suspension by trackday 10 most likely.
Though I still think that the suspension is less than adequate, I appreciate your input.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I am about a hundred and ninetyfive pounds now, and owned a zr-7s that I had no problems with. My tires at the time were probably as soft as bricks. I had no problems going at high speed into turns. I have never felt comfortable taking turns in the zzr i now own. I thought it was just me, but I started to look up (on the net) what other people were experiencing, and the best that I got about the suspension was "very average" or "ok if you weigh less than 150". If you have the time or want look it up for yourself. I guess what I am trying to say it that I think that it is worth it to wait but if I am wrong am hoping someone will convince me otherwise.
Spend the $25.00 with Motorcycles Unlimited and have a chat with them. If you are like most folks, your bike has way more power, braking, and handling than you can use right now or during your first few track days. You'll learn a lot in your first few track days as well. As is often said, upgrade the rider first.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Dude, a trackday costs $120, suspension tune is $25.

Go give it a try.
If it's all that bad then hold off until you can do what it takes to make it better. (upgrades etc)
Several people, experienced people, have suggested that you go for it. Don't over think it and ride within your and your bikes limits and you will be fine.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post

-Curt

-Curt
If I hit the front breaks moderately hard the bike dives. The forks are set to near full stiffness (1 and 1/2 turns away). It seems like the suspension that I have can't handle the stock breaking power; If the breaking power were increased it seems like it would be worse.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Street settings and track settings for suspension are two different worlds. Go to Motorcycles Unlimited tell them your intentions and have it set up, do a few track days and go from there. If your dead set on suspension start with the rear shock and maybe stiffer springs. Oh and if you wanna be a racer buy a bike you dont mind tossing down, because you will most likely wreck your first year as you start pushing it. I know i laid the bike down quite a few times my first year on track and theres nothing wrong with that just means your finding your limits.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
If I hit the front breaks moderately hard the bike dives. The forks are set to near full stiffness (1 and 1/2 turns away). It seems like the suspension that I have can't handle the stock breaking power; If the breaking power were increased it seems like it would be worse.
Have your suspension examined and set up.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Grimace

I am not trying to contradict every feedback that I am getting. I just want it understood what kind of feedback I am getting from my suspension when I go into sharp corners.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Go full stiff on the pre-load might help out a little bit. Im only 160 and running .975 springs. was on .95 before and was all over the bottom of the forks on corner entry/mid corner.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
You have posted this "problem" before. All bikes dive under braking, it's just the weight transferring to the front wheel.
Unless what you are describing is unusual, severe dive, that is the way it should be.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Also note that I said upgrade the brakes after three or four track days. And, get the suspension set up before your FIRST track day.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
I am not trying to contradict every feedback that I am getting. I just want it understood what kind of feedback I am getting from my suspension when I go into sharp corners.
Naver seen you ride but maybe your just grabbing a handful to start with try braking a little bit sooner and gradually applying brake. What are you feeling on corner entry? You can deff. feel when you bottom out, feels like the bike is about to fall apart when it hits the bottom of the forks.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Dude, a trackday costs $120, suspension tune is $25.

Go give it a try.
If it's all that bad then hold off until you can do what it takes to make it better. (upgrades etc)
Several people, experienced people, have suggested that you go for it. Don't over think it and ride within your and your bikes limits and you will be fine.
10-4, I just don't want to wreck it because of bad suspension. I am afraid that I will get excited and push too far.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #20
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
10-4, I just don't want to wreck it because of bad suspension. I am afraid that I will get excited and push too far.
Use the force, listen to the voice that says, take it easy.
That voice has a name....

It's called survival instinct.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Advertisement