MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Peachez

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

HELP ME! 2005 ZX-6R ignition/fuel/battery trouble

Okay so let me start from the beginning because I'm really confused as to what is wrong. I have a 2005 ZX6R 11,000 miles, does have a bunch of mods, doubt it matters, but if so, lemme know, I'll list them.

I rode out to galveston about 3 weeks ago with a bike group, and on the way back at a gas station, I couldn't get the key out (lock-off-on-parking) is the order from right to left. I was able to get the key out in the "parking" position and turn it only to the "on" position, could not get to the "off" or "lock" positions though. I was able to ride it home, and disconnected the battery so that it didn't drain the charge.

Four days later, I was able to work on it, and tried graphite powder (which works once only when crammed with a bunch). I called a locksmith and figured maybe them replacing the tumblers would be cheaper than a dealer replacing the whole ignition. So I started to take off the ignition only to find what looked like metal rivets (after research realized its an ATS where you twist off the bolt heads), and I don't have a drill.

So... I connected the battery again to drive it up there, and it won't start. The only thing I did was mess with the ignition, pull some fuses from fuse box and the 30 on the kick stand side (they're all fine), and disconnect the position of the battery.

I ran the battery until it was dead trying to start it, so then I had someone push me and pop the clutch in second, BUT it sounded aweful like it wasn't getting any fuel or something. Tried it like ten times at a pretty decent speed and NOTHING.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks and now I'm at it again, lol, determined cuz I have no money hahaha, and was hoping someone could help.

When I tried to start it this time, it did a clicking but no turn over, figured the battery was dead, so charged it, now its back to turning over but not on. Sounds fine as if it's about to start, starter motor rotates back and forth when I turn the ignition to on, and you hear the couple second fuel line dispensing.

So here are my thoughts...
Is it that I coincidentally am having multiple problems with my bike or does it relate to the ignition problem? Is there some kind of code in the ignition where it resets or messes up if the ignition is tampered with so the bike won't run? Could I have a bad fuel pump, or not enough pressure, on top of the ignition problem? Did I somehow jiggle a wire or connection loose to cause this?

I just find it odd that I'd have a problem already with a 2005 especially since it happened right when the ignition messed up.
Peachez is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kawasaki ZX-10R & ZX-6R BLOW OUT!!! TMPSW Team Mancuso Powersports SOUTHWEST 14 12-04-2011 04:50 PM
New ZX-6R atexanone General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 05-09-2010 11:38 AM
Battery type for Ninja ZX-6R??? Zapata How To's and Q & A's 3 11-21-2009 06:51 PM
GSXR 750 fuel pump trouble bumblebee How To's and Q & A's 17 06-01-2009 01:08 PM
2005 Gsxr ignition issue? james64 How To's and Q & A's 3 09-04-2006 11:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
welcome! and yeah make sure the battery is fully charged,and make sure it has gas lol

Last edited by smokinjoe; 07-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
WELCOME....you sure do know a lot for a chick!!!!!!
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

I charged the battery up twice, the first time then dropped the tank back down (yes it has fuel in it but not enough to siphon out). The second time, I left the fuel tank up so that I could keep the charger on it and running while I tried to start it. Still that's a no go, and even if my battery was dead, it should have started when I tried to pop the clutch multiple times right?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
you should let the fuel pump cycle all the way through (allow it stop "whining" prior to hitting the start button)....and yes it sounds like it is fuel (maybe spark) if you can hear the starter turning the motor, but not firing up.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

yes and no.....my charging system the bed last week and when i tried bumpstarting the bike on a dead battery it wouldnt fire.....

as far as your other problem...i doubt there is something that disables the bike if the ignition is tampered with. do you have a multi-meter to check the voltage on the battery? i know you said you charged it, but if the bike is just barely turning over and clicking, it sounds like the battery may be junk. unless you have already tested the battery, in which case disregard what i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

DBuck:
So I should disconnect the gas hose and measure how much fuel is coming out when turning on, or do I need to go buy a pressure gauge, and how much do those things run?

I'm low on cash, was hoping to make it as inexpensive as possible. Would it be just as cheap to just replace the fuel pump?

And you think the problem with it not starting is in no way related to the ignition correct?

BlueStreak:
I tried it the second time with the charger still connected and on like you would a car. It reads 12.6/12.7

Last edited by Peachez; 07-02-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Welcome to MH.

If you can crank the engine over, your battery has enough power. Preferably a fast speed crank though. If it is slow, the ECU alone may not have enough to continue running. 12.6V is what you would want to see resting, but CCA is the duty of the battery; it could drop low and still have a recovering voltage. Regardless, it should be able to fire off if it is cranking at a decent pace after a couple seconds.

A push start only preserves remaining battery power by not using the starter to begin turning the crank, instead the wheel/chain/transmission(when clutch is popped.)

1)
Can you smell gas after that extended period of time after cranking in the exhaust pipe? U should be dumping fuel in the exhaust if you are cranking to the point of killing the battery.

2)
You are likely fuel injected per that year. We can assume compression is good; you should be able to feel the cylinders building pressure as you crank. Three things are needed to get an engine to run: spark, fuel and compression. If you can smell gas in the exhaust, you have fuel. Remove a spark plug, hold it to a good ground or use a proper spark plug gap tester(do not put it against aluminium.)

3)
If you dont smell gas, and have a spark, or visa vera you need to check the outputs of your ignition key. All the cutouts on the bike(kickstand switch, start/stop button, clutch lever etc) lock out the starter.

4)
DVOM and an ETM will help you follow the wires. You should have a main switch plug all these can be checked at. Find a common connector vs going all around the place.

If you can find one online, post up the wiring schematic for us w photobucket or a link online and we can follow you through it. If your DVOM has a dwell or duty cycle setting; or you have a high quality test light, see if you can get a signal from the fuel injector pulses while cranking.

Hope this helps. If we need to break it down more, let us know; we can do step by step.

If you are low on gas, put some in it w a small amount of stabil; if its been sitting it may not help the starting situation.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
puertorico600r

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R6

Sounds like a dude behind the scene
puertorico600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Does it matter?

If they need help we should be here for them to offer up what we can. If its over the top then we have sponsors to clean up the mess
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

+1 check for fuel and spark and compression. if you have all three call patrick lol
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

I don't know what this means lol, yeah my femaleness is coming out. As far as it sitting awhile, I had rode it on a saturday, disconnected the bat, then tried to start it four days later on a wednesday to drive it to a shop. So I don't think it has been sitting too long, it was after it was already not starting that I went on vacation for two weeks, maybe it worsened it I dunno. From what I remember, the reserve light wasn't even on yet or had just came on or I would have stopped and got gas, so it's got about a gallon I'm guessing in there, because it's light enough for me to lift up lol.

I don't recall smelling any gas, but I didn't shove my nose up to the exhaust in the back either. I'll check just to be sure later tonight when my son is asleep. Should I crank it until I kill the battery, or hook up the charger and crank it ten times and then try and smell it, or whats a good estimation?

How do I FEEL the cylinders building pressure?
You said something about testing the spark plug. so I take it out and put it against a ground wire. Can I just hold it to the negative terminal? or touch it until I see a spark?

How do you check the outputs of your ignition key? this sounds more than likely it since the initial problem started with the ignition, could you explain this more thoroughly?

#4 HUH?

I do have a service manual if its in there, is that like the wiring diagram? and I can scan it to the computer and upload it.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

puerto, how about you come fix my bike and you'll see for yourself what gender I belong to.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

in the back of your manual there should be a wiring diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

so DVOM and an ETM refers to wiring diagrams in the back of my manual?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachez View Post
puerto, how about you come fix my bike and you'll see for yourself what gender I belong to.
ill come in 10 minutes if you want? or i can take longer
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

hahaha don't get too funny on here you live in my neck of the woods, i might see you on the streets then you'd be really embarassed!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

I'll come over and make sure Cody keeps his pants on... he's prone to losing them :P

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Kawi girls . . .
That is all

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
Peachez

Bike(s):
2005 ZX-6R, 636

mmmmmmmk any advice that wasn't previously mentioned???

Advertisement