MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

i dont understand motoGP

well i watch it sometimes and always wondered what bikes are they running? some look like 600's but just doesnt look like it. im wondering what classes are which? what does rossi ride and what class? just asking
I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE MrGixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-08-2014 05:20 PM
MotoGp.... dont miss it!!!! floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 11-08-2011 04:20 PM
What part of dont drive through low water crossings do people not understand? eltejano Off Topic 18 06-05-2011 01:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...lb6_HGL1N6XAGQ
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Motogp is like F1 of motorcycles.
The bikes are custom built prototypes which are limited only by weight, engine displacement, and electronics as far as I know.
Rossi rides for Yamaha.

Check out motogp.com for more info.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

GP bikes are one off bikes. They are "based" off of certain bikes (gsxr, ninja, etc) but don't really share any parts. Basically like building a monster truck out of a Chevy pickup. It has a fiberglass body that may look like a Chevy pickup, but it is completely different.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
rossi rides the yzf-M1 whose engine displacement is 800cc just like all the other competing.
There are other classes like the 125cc, 250cc...I don't think the 500cc series is still around.
I heard the other day that they are changing the 250cc class to a 600 in 2010 or so. By the way, unlike world superbike, these bikes are all prototypes.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
the "GP" classes are:

125GP (125cc 2 stroke prototypes)

250GP (250cc 2 stroke prototypes)

MotoGP (800cc 4 stroke prototypes)

2 years ago motoGP used to be 990cc 4 stroke prototypes, and before that they were 500cc 2 strokes.

Just so you know, the rules of motogp REQUIRE that the engines not be related to that manufacturer's production engines in any way. Ergo, Ducati has a v4 because their production bikes are all Vtwins, and Honda has a V5 because they have vtwin, I4, and V4 production bikes.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302

Last edited by Chubby Racer; 07-01-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

i dont think i watched 125gp or 250gp? are the fast? lol
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ600RR View Post
i dont think i watched 125gp or 250gp? are the fast? lol
As compared to you? Yes. Thats not meant as an insult.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Currently there are three classes: 800, 250 and 125. The 800s are four strokes and the other two are two strokes. The 250cc two-strokes will change to 600cc four strokes.

There are factory and satellite teams that race Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Ducatis and Yamahas.

www.motogp.com

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post

Just so you know, the rules of motogp REQUIRE that the engines not be related to that manufacturer's production engines in any way. Ergo, Ducati has a v4 because their production bikes are all Vtwins, and Honda has a V5 because they have vtwin, I4, and V4 production bikes.

Thats news to me. I always understood the mfgs. can use any configuration they want soo long as they do not exceed the max displacement limit.
R1 has same configuration as the M1. Even the same firing order.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post

There are factory and satellite teams that race Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Ducatis and Yamahas.

www.motogp.com
Don't forget KTM and Aprilia in the 125 and 250 classes

CMRA #302
Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:

Yup. Didn't include the smokers.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
Thats news to me. I always understood the mfgs. can use any configuration they want soo long as they do not exceed the max displacement limit.
the R1 current config and firing order came about because of the M1

motogp is where all this technology starts.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom96 View Post
That is how it was explained to me. I believed it.......until the new R1 came out so now I'm confused. Seems to me that all the manufacturers would want to run something similar to their production bikes if they could to help with development.

CMRA #302
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
And Gilera which is one of the more competitive makes in the classes.

Also, this:
Quote:
Is not true. Yamaha has an inline 4 just like all their production sport bikes, also shares the same "firing order" technology os the R1. The Ducati has a V4 in a production bike as well (Desmosedici).

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

http://www.motogp.com/en/MotoGP+Basics
MotoGP Basics Overview

Bikes

The motorcycles used in MotoGP are purpose-built, purebred racing bikes - ‘prototypes’ - which are not available for purchase by the general public and cannot be legally ridden on public roads.

The technical regulations to which Grand Prix teams must adhere when they build their bikes for MotoGP competition provide a simple guide to the type of machinery the riders use.

The engine sizes of the bikes permitted in each class are as follows:
MotoGP - As of the 2007 season, the maximum engine size capacity permitted is 800cc - 2-stroke engines are not allowed

250 - Over 175cc up to 250cc - maximum two cylinders
125 - Over 80cc up to 125cc - maximum one cylinder

Apart from the displacement and number of cylinders for each class, engine type is restricted to reciprocating piston engines with no super or turbo charging, while the bike may have no more than six gears.

The following are the minimum weights permitted:

MotoGP (bikes must have 4-stroke engines)
2 cylinders or less 133 kg
3 cylinders 140.5 kg
4 cylinders 148 kg
5 cylinders 155.5 kg
6 cylinders or more 163 kg

250cc
1 cylinder 100kg
2 cylinders 100kg

125cc
Motorcycle + rider 136kg

The teams may add ballast to their bikes to achieve the minimum weights and the weight may be checked at the initial technical control, but the main control of weight is made at the end of practice sessions or at the end of the race. For the 125cc class the weight checked is the total of the rider with full protective clothing plus the weight of the motorcycle.

In normal circumstances each team has two bikes prepared for racing for each rider, so that there is no delay should a problematic bike need to be replaced before a race or before or during a practice or qualifying session. The 2006 season saw the first instance of ‘flag-to-flag’ racing at the Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island, during which the MotoGP riders changed machinery mid-race to use bikes with wet tyres.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

also from their website

Glossary

The sport of MotoGP has its own unique language, utilising certain pieces of terminology shared with other motorsports and some specific phrases belonging to the world of motorcycle racing. Here, motogp.com guides you through some of the words and phrases commonly used in MotoGP.

Apex
The tightest point on a corner, which the rider usually rides through just before he begins to exit, accelerating away.

Braking Marker
A physical point which a rider uses to judge where he should start braking as he enters a corner. This could be a tree, advertising board, a mark on the track or any other distinguishing feature which the rider uses to guide his braking pattern.

Chicane
A section of track with two corners in close succession in opposite directions. A left-hander followed by a right-hander or vice versa, which looks like an ‘S’ from a bird’s eye view.

Compounds
The type of rubber / mixture of rubber used in tyres.

Curbstones
Mainly painted in two colours and often featuring prominently on, or just after corners, the curbstones mark the sides of the race track and help to guide the riders.

Displacement
The capacity or size of a bike’s engine, usually quoted in cubic centimetres (cc), for example 800cc, 250cc or 125cc.

Dry Race
A race in which the track surface is considered to be dry by Race Direction, as opposed to wet. In a dry race teams will run slick tyres on their bikes. See Key Rules section for more details.

Dorna
Dorna Sports is the company which administrates MotoGP. See Governing Bodies section for more details.

Dirt tracking
Over the years several MotoGP riders from the USA, including 2006 World Champion Nicky Hayden, have had their racing background in regional and national dirt track championships. The racing takes place on a muddy surface as opposed to asphalt.

Endo
A trick which involves stopping a bike suddenly to lift the rear wheel off the ground. The opposite of a wheelie, it is sometimes also called a Stoppie.

Esses
A colloquial, phonetic reference to a chicane, owing to their often ‘S’ shaped appearances.

Fairing
An outer body part of a racing bike that protects both the machinery and the rider from debris and gusts of wind. Fairings are decorated with team colours, sponsor logos and race numbers.

FIM
The Fédération Internationale de Motorcyclisme is the governing body of all motorcycle sport throughout the world. See Governing Bodies section for more details.

Gas
Throttle or acceleration. It is common to hear riders say ‘I opened the gas’, or ‘I gave it some gas’.

GP (Grand Prix)
A racing event which lasts three days, involving the three MotoGP classes, MotoGP, 250cc and 125cc. Grand Prix weekends consist of two days of practice and qualifying, followed by the warm-ups and races in each class on the final day. There are currently 18 Grands Prix on the MotoGP calendar.

Grid
The collection of starting points on the start/finish straight on the track, where the riders gather at the beginning of each race, lining up in the positions in which they have qualified to start.

Hairpin
A very tight corner which has to be taken slowly and often appears U-shaped or V-shaped.

High Side
A crash in which the rear wheel of the bike slides out from under the rider - so that he is essentially at a right angle to his racing line (the direction in which he was going) - and then regains grip, which flips the bike and rider over.

Hole-shot
Taking the hole-shot means leading the race at the first corner.

Homologation
The homologation of the track and the bikes being used in MotoGP racing is the approval process undertaken by the FIM and their associated committees.

IRTA
The International Road-Racing Teams Association represents all the Grand Prix teams. See Governing Bodies section for more details.

Low Side
A crash whereby the rear wheel or both wheels of the bike loose grip and do not regain traction, resulting in the motorcycle slipping out from underneath the rider.

Lean angle
The lean angle refers to the degree at which a rider tilts his bike into the track as he corners at high speeds. Riders’ knees and elbows can often touch the ground at maximum lean angle.

Left-hander
Simply a left-hand corner, where the rider ‘turns’ left, leaning the left side of his bike and body towards the ground.

MSMA
The Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers’ Association represents the interests of all the constructors involved in motorcycle racing. See Governing Bodies section for more details.

OnBoard
An ‘OnBoard’ is a television camera carried by a MotoGP bike which gives an impression of what it is like to be involved in the action on track.

Parc Fermé
Designated area on pit lane where podium finishers (first three) in each category are interviewed by television crews immediately after each race (See ‘At the circuit’ section for more details).

Paddock
The area adjacent to the pit-boxes on the opposite side to the pit lane where teams and riders station their motorhomes and equipment for the duration of a Grand Prix (See ‘At the circuit’ section for more details).

Pit-box
A temporary garage with access directly onto the pit lane, each one designated to a team participating in one of the three MotoGP races (See ‘At the circuit’ section for more details).

Pit Crew
The team management, mechanics and their assistants.

Pit lane
An access lane which is usually directly adjacent to the main straight on the track and is used for going between the pit-boxes and the circuit (See ‘At the circuit’ section for more details).

Podium
The first three finishers in any Grand Prix race receive their silverware on the victory podium (See ‘At the circuit’ section for more details).

Pole position or pole
Refers to securing the first starting place for the race on the grid and is secured by the quickest lap in qualifying.

Qualifying
There is one qualifying session on the day before the race in all three classes, MotoGP, 250cc and 125cc. The riders start the race in the order in which they have qualified, which is to say that the rider with the fastest qualifying time starts in first place or pole position, the second fastest in second place and so on.

Race Direction
Representatives from Dorna, The FIM and IRTA form the Race Direction team at each Grand Prix, making such decisions as declaring race conditions dry or wet. See Governing Bodies section for more details.

Ride Through
A Ride Through procedure is a penalty where a rider is requested to ride through the pit lane and can be imposed if, for example, he has jump started before the race has officially commenced. See Key Rules section for more details.

Right-hander
A right-hand corner, where the rider ‘turns’ right, leaning the right side of his bike and body towards the ground.

Rookie
A rider competing in his first full year in any of the three categories of Grand Prix racing is referred to as a rookie.

Rostrum
Another name for the podium.

Scrutineering
A MotoGP term for checking or inspection. Scrutineers are responsible for checking that all MotoGP participants abide by the rules.

Slipstream
To slipstream another rider is to follow him on a straight and use the flow of air around him and his machinery to your advantage, by building up the momentum to overtake him in the area of reduced pressure behind him.

Slicks
Tyres with no tread specifically designed for use in road racing and made of a soft compound, which give just enough grip without slowing the bike down.

Swingarm
The rear section of the bike onto which the rear wheel is mounted is a swingarm. It moves up and down with the rear suspension.

Topping the timesheet
Refers to recording the fastest time in a practice or qualifying session.

Tyre wall
A collection of stacked tyres used as a crash barrier to reduce damage and injury on impact.

Wet Race
A race in which climatic conditions affecting the track surface are considered to be wet, as opposed to dry. See Key Rules section for more details.

Wheelie
A stunt often performed in celebration by riders, in which the front wheel of the motorcycle is lifted off the ground as a result of hard acceleration and a quick release of the clutch.

Wild cards
Unsigned riders who are entered for one-off races, as opposed to regular competitors. See Wild cards section for more details.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Check out the movie "faster" It's a motogp documentary.
Also, a quick google or wikipedia search will explain a lot too

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Stop confusing Mel & AJ, it is very simple:

*MotoGp.- Lorenzo rules, Dovi sucks.
*250 Class.- Alvaro Bautista & Hector Barbera rule, Simoncelli sucks.

The rest is just small details.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

shudup gary............

Advertisement