MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

ZZR600

say that I get really serious at the track. and that I don't have a lot of cash. All I have is my zzr 600. How long is that going to get me by? I know that the the zzr 600 05-08 is the same bike as the zx6r 00-02, but the technology is nine years old. I know until I learn some racing skills that I won't be able to ride the bike to it's full potential, but i am wondering how long that is going to take. I know that I recently posted a thread saying that I was a newb and not riding well, but I did not realize that my suspension was so out of wack (I also attributed most of my overcautiousness to ritalin (the over cautiousness is what I believed got me in so much trouble), which I have decided to stop taking)(and I don't like talking about)(getting over the talking about it part). I had a ZR-7S before (before my days of medication), which as I am sure most would know is not half the bike that I have now, which I rode like a bat out of (80-85 mph corners rated for 40 mph by the yellow signs with hard sport touring tires). So after all that explanation, how far can you guess will I be able to go with my current bike?
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on a zzr600 JJ45 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 03-30-2010 01:37 PM
My Bike: ZZR600 Moc05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-21-2008 09:33 PM
what now? SV650s or ZZR600 Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-08-2007 07:07 PM
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600 (First One) Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 09-17-2006 06:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Worry about another bike later. It will do more then you can.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Your bike is very capable. I had a '00 ZX6R and it was a strong bike that could put in decent laps. Would it be easier to put in the same lap times on a newer, lighter, faster bike? For most, but its not mandatory to have the latest and greatest.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
It will feel better to smoke people on an older, heavier bike.......knowing it took that little extra bit of skill.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Its not much heavier.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
My guess is that it'll be a full season before you're really at the limits of the bike as it sits now.

then there's better tires

then there's suspension

then there's engine mods.

You can continue improving both your bike and your skill for a LOOONNNGGG time to come. So unless you plan to race, and need everything a new bike has to offer to stay competitive, there's no need to get something else.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The dude is dead set on being a racer.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Grimace

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
When you think you are at the limit of the bike, let an expert/pro ride it. Compare the times and hang your head in shame. It will be MANY seasons until you can outride your current steed, unless you become some sort of prodigy after the meds wear off.
My next questions would be how old are you, do you have a family, mortgage, car payments, good job? All of these will make you slower no matter what you do, if you have a responsible(self preserving) bone in your body. I'd get great health insurance that covers your for closed course competion before I started looking for a faster lighter bike? Not being a , I speak from experience as someone who discovered racing at 36. SO far I've been lucky and had mostly harmless get offs, but the chance is always there. My wife is supportive of my racing and that is a must. If mama says know, all you will end up with is "I told you so", at the worst moment. Oh and it is not a cheap sport. Tha new bike will need 2500.00 in suspention, 650.00 for bodywork and paint, fresh rubber every weekend, fluid changes every time out, etc, etc., if you "Want to get the most" ou of it. If you are dead set on it, buy someone else's late model track that has all the goods on it. Good luck, hope to see you at the track.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Get some track days under your belt, take the instruction, and concentrate on having fun. You're bike is more capable than you may think.

Once you get to the point of riding well enough (notice I didn't say "fast enough") attend a CMRA race and sign up to corner work the event so you can see what the local fast guys look like up close.

After all that, take Buck's advice above and consider all of that stuff before you make a decision.

As far as your bike though, it's more than capable to take you to a track day and be plenty of fun as well as a great learning experience.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I had an 02 kawi zx6 that was pretty much bone stock, and was able to keep up with many of the new bikes with goodies on them. It will be a while before your able to out ride the bike.

Learn on that bike and develop good habits and when you get a newer bike you will see seconds drop.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Thanks for backing me up. He will not outride the bike.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
When you think you are at the limit of the bike, let an expert/pro ride it. Compare the times and hang your head in shame. It will be MANY seasons until you can outride your current steed, unless you become some sort of prodigy after the meds wear off.
My next questions would be how old are you, do you have a family, mortgage, car payments, good job? All of these will make you slower no matter what you do, if you have a responsible(self preserving) bone in your body. I'd get great health insurance that covers your for closed course competion before I started looking for a faster lighter bike? Not being a , I speak from experience as someone who discovered racing at 36. SO far I've been lucky and had mostly harmless get offs, but the chance is always there. My wife is supportive of my racing and that is a must. If mama says know, all you will end up with is "I told you so", at the worst moment. Oh and it is not a cheap sport. Tha new bike will need 2500.00 in suspention, 650.00 for bodywork and paint, fresh rubber every weekend, fluid changes every time out, etc, etc., if you "Want to get the most" ou of it. If you are dead set on it, buy someone else's late model track that has all the goods on it. Good luck, hope to see you at the track.
I am 30, have no wife, no girlfriend, no mortgage, 2 payments left on the truck, and the job is getting me by. I am a veteran, so I can go to the VA hospital for treatment with no copay. I am in love with motorcycles, addicted to speed, and don't want the cops chasing me. I can't think of anything else in the world that I would rather do than race around a twisty circle.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

when you crash at the track, the ambulance isn't going to take you to the VA.

get some trackdays (alot) under your belt, then get an SV.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
when you crash at the track, the ambulance isn't going to take you to the VA.
Very good point!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

wonder what would happen?

my guess is that if he doesn't have med. ins. thru work, he'd be treated like anybody else W/O ins. ? anyone know?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:

my guess is that if he doesn't have med. ins. thru work, he'd be treated like anybody else W/O ins. ? anyone know?
They'd transfer him to the VA from wherever he was and the Government would pick up the tab.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
Grimace

Quote:

Not trying to be a smart , but I do have excellent coverage through Aetna. I am also not suggesting that you said or implied this but i am not someone who thinks that they know everything when they know nothing. I am simply trying to follow a dream (especially since I do not have any serious responsibilities in my life right now).

And by the way, when you use the VA hospitals for your health care needs, and they take you somewhere else in an emergency, the VA will cover that if you turn the paperwork in within a six month period (you will be transferred to the VA as soon as possible).

Last edited by Grimace; 07-01-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
They'd transfer him to the VA from wherever he was and the Government would pick up the tab.
How did you know that? Are you a veteran?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
Grimace

And by the way, I do not throw my VA privileges around lightly. Even though I put my life on the line in the Marine infantry for four years my contract did not cover medical care for the rest of my life (I am also a taxpayer). I do not try to put myself in harms way for the of it just because I know that I won't have to pay medical bills. Again, I am simply trying to do something that I really want to do.