MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
KeeBee
Old man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Beltway 8 ticket

Cop pulled me over to see if I had a toll tag and then he wanted to check my motorcycle endorsement and proof of insurance. Since he couldn't get me for any of that he says my license plate can't be tucked under the fender the way it was. Been that way for the last 2 years. It is visible and is lit. He said I can have it dropped if I fix it. Really not sure how I am supposed to prove I fixed it for them to drop it.

Not sure whats going on Beltway 8 lately but I have seen quite a few police pulling people over the last few weeks.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
biker down on beltway 8 walter_moreno General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-17-2014 02:17 PM
Beltway 8 stlal General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 03-29-2007 06:51 AM
Beltway jus10 General Discussion (Moto Related) 100 12-08-2006 01:07 PM
Beltway 8 and Beechnut flip326 Off Topic 4 10-16-2006 11:31 AM
beltway @ I10 bentgixxer Off Topic 9 03-26-2006 09:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

They are cracking down on Toll Runners and people riding the white line to skip being scanned. You will have to take photographic proof with date stamps to the court to get it dismissed. He must have been having a bad day or been a because normally if you have valid insurance and licencse they let you off.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Go buy another piece of plastic and take a picture of your plate remounted then take that to the judge...i have mine tucked and I think that is just a bullshit way of them pulling you over....
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
Cop pulled me over to see if I had a toll tag and then he wanted to check my motorcycle endorsement and proof of insurance. Since he couldn't get me for any of that he says my license plate can't be tucked under the fender the way it was. Been that way for the last 2 years. It is visible and is lit. He said I can have it dropped if I fix it. Really not sure how I am supposed to prove I fixed it for them to drop it.

Not sure whats going on Beltway 8 lately but I have seen quite a few police pulling people over the last few weeks.
I have a ridiculous fender eliminator on my bike. The plate is WAY up under the tail, to the point that the rear mudguard acutally obscures it a little bit when I sit on the bike.
Illegal? You bet ya!
In college station I was pulled over at least 3 times over a couple of years for that alone. Cop writes the ticket, cause it is illegal, I went to Action Sports in CS ( shop, but works for this purpose) and ask for an inspection. 2 of the 3 times I did this they walked out and put the sticker on the bike without so much as a cursory inspection.
Now, if you cant find a shop like this, just zip tie your plate and plate light in a better place, get the inspection and then put it back.
I just took my receipt to the judge, paid my $10 court fee and went about my business. Oh, but I never took the bike up to the court in case they wanted to come and look

Its a pay-to-play senario. Sure its a hassle to keep getting inspections, going to the court and paying the court costs, but its a choice I made when I rigged my plate so illegally.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
I have a ridiculous fender eliminator on my bike. The plate is WAY up under the tail, to the point that the rear mudguard acutally obscures it a little bit when I sit on the bike.
Illegal? You bet ya!
In college station I was pulled over at least 3 times over a couple of years for that alone. Cop writes the ticket, cause it is illegal, I went to Action Sports in CS ( shop, but works for this purpose) and ask for an inspection. 2 of the 3 times I did this they walked out and put the sticker on the bike without so much as a cursory inspection.
Now, if you cant find a shop like this, just zip tie your plate and plate light in a better place, get the inspection and then put it back.
I just took my receipt to the judge, paid my $10 court fee and went about my business. Oh, but I never took the bike up to the court in case they wanted to come and look

Its a pay-to-play senario. Sure its a hassle to keep getting inspections, going to the court and paying the court costs, but its a choice I made when I rigged my plate so illegally.
I have the same elimin and have taken it to get inspected and i have never had them hassel me about it being so far back
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Thx for the help will zip tie it up and take some pix with the date stamp. Mine is tucked up under it fairly good but its not obscured from view you can read all the numbers and stickers. Guess since he was a motorcycle cop he couldn't see it.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I have the same elimin and have taken it to get inspected and i have never had them hassel me about it being so far back
Yeah, thats kind of what I was suggesting to the OP. Most moto shops wont care where it is and will inspect you, if they dont just relocate then inspect, then move back.
I mean, honestly, at least the courts treat it as a fix-it ticket and dont just charge you outright.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
Thx for the help will zip tie it up and take some pix with the date stamp. Mine is tucked up under it fairly good but its not obscured from view you can read all the numbers and stickers. Guess since he was a motorcycle cop he couldn't see it.
I think that was his excuse for pulling you over to see your tag...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
I think that was his excuse for pulling you over to see your tag...
His first statement was show me your toll tag. Then asked for my license and insurance after he looked at those he started walking around my bike. That is when he popped the "Your tag is illegal."
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
1HEALTHY750

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2000 GSXR 750
2002 BUSA (sold)
1993 HONDA CBR 600 (sold)
1994 HONDA CBR 900 (sold)
1992 HONDA CBR 1000 (sold)

Was it pasadena or county either or take a pic of it fix and they will dismiss it
1HEALTHY750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

I got a ticket for having my plate under the fender and I went to court and beat it.

The law states that the plate must be at the rear of the vehicle, unobstructed, and lighted with a visibility of 50'. It doesn't say anything about viewable from the side.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I call that stop harassment - was there a just cause for checking your toll tag (in other words), 1) did he know you went through the toll tag lane? 2) did you violate the toll tag lane on camera? 3) do you have to have a toll tag to be able to ride a motorcycle on the tollway?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
KeeBee
Old man

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

I wasn't even close to a Toll gate he had just finished writing a ticket to a truck and saw me ride past. He hopped on his bike and hauled to catch up to me and pulled me over.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #14
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

there is increased police activity all over Houston.

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police seem to be writing a record-breaking number of tickets. In March, they issued more than 3,000 daily. Studies across the nation show cities often write more tickets in troubled budget times. The city tells us that's not happening here.
When traffic is flowing in Houston, we really move. Some days it seems like Houstonians have a love affair with their gas pedals.
It's on officers like Mark Elliott to slow us down.
"Everybody always wants to be out front," Elliott said.
And from what we can tell, HPD's been abnormally busy lately.

Last month, HPD handed out more than 109,000 traffic tickets.

That's 3,500 a day or 147 tickets every hour for a month.

t's also 41,000 more tickets than they wrote in February.
We checked records all the way back to July 1999, and HPD has never even been close to that number.
"My first reaction was that is incredible," HPD assistant chief John Trevino said.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Put a stock bracket back on, take it to courthouse, show them, switch it back.

Don't worry, it's not like this is uncommon, and it isn't like getting pulled over on the toll roads is uncommon either.

Now motocops on BW8, I haven't personally seen enforcement by motocops. What precinct was it?

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 04-29-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
I call that stop harassment - was there a just cause for checking your toll tag (in other words), 1) did he know you went through the toll tag lane? 2) did you violate the toll tag lane on camera? 3) do you have to have a toll tag to be able to ride a motorcycle on the tollway?
Good luck with that defense. How do you know he didn't pull him over for his incorrectly mounted license plate? That's probable cause for a stop all day long.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
M@tt
Platinum Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Quote:
I wasn't even close to a Toll gate he had just finished writing a ticket to a truck and saw me ride past. He hopped on his bike and hauled to catch up to me and pulled me over.
Motorcycle cops figures. I would put your plate back to stock take a picture with the date on it. Then put it back.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post
I got a ticket for having my plate under the fender and I went to court and beat it.

The law states that the plate must be at the rear of the vehicle, unobstructed, and lighted with a visibility of 50'. It doesn't say anything about viewable from the side.
The LEO can issue you all the tickets for it he wants all day long, and the situation is purely up to interpretation by the judge/jury.

If you ask me a bracket holding a license plate facing any direction other than perpendicular with the road surface could be considered "an apparatus that affects angular visibility or detectability."

Quote:
A 2007 revision, effective 1 September 2007 alters the "obscured plate" portion of the law to read:

A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:

has [letters, numbers, or other identification marks that because of] blurring or reflective matter that
significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number [are not plainly visible] at any time [all times during daylight];

has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of [on] the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

has a coating, covering, [or] protective material, or other apparatus that:

(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; [or]

(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of [on] the license plate number or[,] the color of the plate[, or
another original design feature of the plate].
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

so you have to ask yourself, is a "hidden" plate worth all the hassle?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

License plate tickets are a catch all for bikes, the cop lights you up to see if your going to run, he then stops you and checks your stuff then gives you a ticket for an obscured plate. he gave you a ticket you can easily get out of so that you can't call and file a complaint of harrassment because of being on a bike. no other reason than that. make it so it can be see from the rear and 30 dgrees either side of the rear, take a pic and take it in and get it dismissed. file a complaint anyway

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement