MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
dflick
NBOT
 
dflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 15

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Buell XB12Scg
03 FXSTBi








Send a message via AIM to dflick Send a message via Yahoo to dflick
Teknic failure in crash...thoughts

Had a get off at the track and my Teknic leathers busted at the zipper. No damage to the leathers otherwise as it was not too bad of a fall. What concerns me is that the teeth failed at the top of the jacket which broke open and caused some nasty road rash. Is it unreasonable for me to think that the jacket should not break open? I was planning on calling Teknic today to discuss this and I wanted some feedback to see what others think of the situation.
__________________
Daniel Flick
President
Naked Bikers of Texas
When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem, and the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.
dflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stunt Failure BuffaloRider13 Stunters Lounge 12 06-27-2010 08:24 PM
TEKNIC Teknic Xcelerator Silver/Black One Piece Race Suit....Should I spend a grand ? ChrisGo Gear Talk 39 05-03-2010 09:01 PM
?FAILURE? gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-05-2009 11:40 AM
iShock failure!?!?! TheMagicMan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 23 05-23-2009 05:31 PM
EPIC FAILURE chrisd Off Topic 24 07-26-2008 08:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
gunshotwound
You have been warned!
 
gunshotwound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bullard, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,540

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6



Member Garage





Wow, sorry to hear that. I would think that doesn't happen very often.
__________________


CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
texasyankee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 370

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)








How old is the jacket? How much use has it had? What do you wear under the leathers? There is always some deterioration over time. The salt in sweat can cause the zippers to rust and with the forces in a fall, a small decrease in strength can cause a major failure.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Swift E
Senior Member
 
Swift E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 11,046

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675









Texasyankee had some great points

How old
Under armor used
Do you lube the zipper

I would contact Teknic Regardless to bring this to their attention
__________________
obama1
I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,098

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Arent the zippers made of brass usually? If so, they should not rust from sweat.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
dflick
NBOT
 
dflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 15

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Buell XB12Scg
03 FXSTBi








Send a message via AIM to dflick Send a message via Yahoo to dflick
It is one month old and used once before at TWS (Texas World Speedway). CE amour underneath and I was wearing an Under Armor wicking shirt which should have prevented the jacket from hanging up on the clothing. Zipper pulled freely with no snagging and the velcro closure at the top was closed over the zipper.
__________________
Daniel Flick
President
Naked Bikers of Texas
When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem, and the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.
dflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s
 
SexualChocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dickinson
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,197

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...









Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
I could be wrong but aren't the zippers made by another company?
__________________
A few motorcycles, bicycles, and cars...and still in recovery phase

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!
 
Whoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,330

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000






I had a Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket do the same. The zipper broke in the middle of the chest area. I think it's from the way you fall and how tight it is. The zipper is the weak link.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
texasyankee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 370

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)








Quote:
Originally Posted by dflick View Post
It is one month old and used once before at TWS (Texas World Speedway). CE amour underneath and I was wearing an Under Armor wicking shirt which should have prevented the jacket from hanging up on the clothing. Zipper pulled freely with no snagging and the velcro closure at the top was closed over the zipper.
Zipper shouldn't have failed. Contact Technic.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
dflick
NBOT
 
dflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 15

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Buell XB12Scg
03 FXSTBi








Send a message via AIM to dflick Send a message via Yahoo to dflick
I left a message with Tecnic and sent pictures via email. We will see what happens. Thanks to everyone whom responded.
__________________
Daniel Flick
President
Naked Bikers of Texas
When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem, and the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.
dflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
ileono918
On hiatus
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 6,047

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











Since you already have pics, can you post them? Just to see the damage.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
dflick
NBOT
 
dflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 15

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Buell XB12Scg
03 FXSTBi








Send a message via AIM to dflick Send a message via Yahoo to dflick
Still a bit new to this forum but when I try to attach the picture the limits are so low that you can't make out any detail. Is there a trick besides using an attachment? I can put them on my webserver if it is not possible to add an attachment here.
__________________
Daniel Flick
President
Naked Bikers of Texas
When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem, and the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.
dflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
dflick
NBOT
 
dflick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 15

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Buell XB12Scg
03 FXSTBi








Send a message via AIM to dflick Send a message via Yahoo to dflick
Here are links until I can get them on here:
http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/phot...s_5880663.jpeg
http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/phot...s_5880664.jpeg
__________________
Daniel Flick
President
Naked Bikers of Texas
When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem, and the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.
dflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
bluroketr6
RACE READY MODE!!!
 
bluroketr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northwest
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 56

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 R6 Blue




Member Garage





Was that a chicane? I just got one hope it holds up well.
bluroketr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mission bend
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 7,307

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to blends
sorry to hear about the rash... but please do keep us informed on what type of response you get from teknic. could be real informative to hear about how this manufacturer handles an equipment failure.
__________________
ಠ_ಠ
blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,585

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Thats a little scary. Let us know how Tecknic responds. I would expect sincerest apologies and an effort to do, what you think, will make it right.

At the very least, a new one piece.

On a side note, I see Tecknic gear on closeouts and clearance everywhere. What's that about?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
YZFracer212
Senior Member
 
YZFracer212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deer Park
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,089


Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play









Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Thats a little scary. Let us know how Tecknic responds. I would expect sincerest apologies and an effort to do, what you think, will make it right.

At the very least, a new one piece.

On a side note, I see Tecknic gear on closeouts and clearance everywhere. What's that about?
most of the stuff I see is there previous yr stuff. They seem to come out with something new or at least up date it every yr.
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM
 
RojerLockless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I"M FROM TEXAS, Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (10)
Posts: 10,903

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
teknic isn't the only one with zipper issues

1slocbr didn't even have to wreck... just tried to zip his suit Sunday at MSRH.. they will warranty the work but three uses and already

cjdeleted
__________________
I kissed a girl and I liked it!

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











which teknic jacket is it? i was thinking of getting the chicane as well.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy