MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #41
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

so what could you have done to prevent this from happening again?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got a baaaad habit. darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-22-2013 04:04 PM
Baaaad way to go... mjrauma General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-17-2012 01:36 PM
O...M...G....This bike is BAAAAD!!!! txferrari General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 11-01-2007 10:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #42
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
I'm a noob, checked the weather report and didn't even check for wind . Me and my ninja 250 are under 500 lbs together, heading up the 290 exit to Austin about 50 (was still slowing down from 70) I kept getting blown around by the wind towards the guard rail, I started fixating on it and just couldn't steer against that wind (having no experience is a ). I was afraid that if I hit I would fly over and probably be dead, so when i got near I tried to get as parallel to it as I could and I threw a hard kick, bike jumped away and went down on the left side, I went down and rolled. No cars were around, I had time to pick myself up and slink to the side of the road. A man in a truck stopped and asked if I needed any help, he called 911 and moved my bike out of the road (thanks Bryan, wish i had gotten your last name). Anyways, I take a little ride to the hospital and get some x-rays on my ankle (the left one, not the one I kicked with, I hit the ground hard with it). My cheap 20$ gloves definately did their best and my hands are mostly ok, the concrete ripped through my joe rocket leggings and tore into my jeans so i just got a little road rash on my left knee. Other than that, sprained left ankle, jammed my right thumb, and a nice large scuff across the visor of my helmet. My riding days are going to be delayed until I get the money to fix my bike and get new gear, and pay off my parents for the cost of towing and ambulance ride. But I'm not giving up riding, and I will still be their April 12th.
man o man, so glad you are ok to tell the story.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #43
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter1125 View Post
You JUST got your bike running..

Riding for what, 2 months!!!!!!

Maybe you should, ya know give up...
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, just ride wiser, msf and if so, take the advanced course, stay on the 250 for a while.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #44
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

I been blown around also a lot, so if there is too much wind. I just get off the hwy on to the street and take my time. Be safe out there.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #45
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

when one rides a lighter weight bike like a 250 they definitely have to pay attention to the wind.

My SV-650 is a handful in a strong wind compared to the heavyweight FJR.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #46
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I've had days where my F4 gets blown around. I find it easier to tuck in and get on the throttle and power my way through the wind.

Glad to hear your ok. Keep riding and dont let it scare you. Just learn from it. Keep all limbs inside the vehicle and practice on learning to lean the bike in a turn.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #47
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

I haven't ever really had a big problem with the winds except for the wind of going 70+ on the fwy my first time on my SV. Crosswinds I have never really had an issue with and I ride at least 5 days a week for at least 60 miles a day. When I took my MSF in Magnolia we had 40 mph crosswinds when we were learning clutch control and also when doing some of the faster paced events and I think that was some of the best training (having the wind there).

Don't ever get scared and tighten everything up because then you just become easier to push off the road. You have to relax and lean into it and if ever in doubt, do as state before and, pull over and wait it out.

Glad to hear you're keeping your head up and are ready to ride again... Just keep it shiny side up next time!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #48
Bean
you like apples?

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Remember my first experience with the wind. It felt like the bottom was being pushed out from underneath me, but from left to right while I was still sitting. It was like I was in a left hand turn with a pretty decent lean, except I was still on a straightaway. Scared the ish outta me going 75 on 45. Worse is when you pass a semi and get that gust outta nowhere because he had been blocking it. I just took a friend to Beaumont yesterday hauling a trailer to help move some stuff and I was getting pushed all over the road. 6cyl 3.0 Ranger with a 14" enclosed trailer and loaded down. When it's windy, you really have to pay attention to where you are. In the tree's it's not going to be so bad, but going through an open field it'll be worse and going up on a ramp like that there are no windbreaks so you are at it's full mercy. Good luck with healing up fast. Glad to hear you are ok. Should be able to find plenty of parts for your bike. Believe there is a specific 250 website I've seen some guys mention on here. Might want to give that a look if you are not a member. As mention before, I have a truck so let me know if you need a hand getting the bike to a shop if you are not going to do the work yourself. Peace.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #49
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

Does anyone know the what is the wind speed to be careful at, the starting point.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #50
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

ya i know, i was just a noob. And i don't think a bigger bike is the solution... would rather just set myself a limit on wind speeds that i'm willing to ride in at all and get used to it on the smaller bike, then if it ever happens when i've upgraded to a gsxr or so, i'm in better shape right? about the truck, thanks but i've got 2 close friends with trucks that let my family borrow them. i definitely got off lucky though... my prescribed pain killers are only ibuprofen.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #51
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Drive a car?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #52
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Hmmm - heavier bike good in wind - maybe a (partial) vote for bigger bike for 1st purchase... ? I've noticed heavy wind and my helmet get's a bit batted around - but very few gusts have pushed me around on the road...

:HC:

"Lovin my FZ1~!"

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #53
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

my can 0 tuna 600 is a pretty heavy bike and we get knocked around in the wind. It scared the **it out of me the first time I encountered it. Now, it's usually kind of fun. The more seat time you have the more comfortable you'll be. On a windy day, I watch the vehicles in front of me to help warn me. I did bail off the freeway a few weeks ago. It was very windy and I found myself surrounded be semi's. In front, behind AND beside me! I felt like a BB in a tin can.... so I took the next exit and back roads. I also pay attention to what part of the lane I'm traveling in. For example, if I'm in on a two way/two lane road and the crosswind is from the right, I'll stay closer to the shoulder. That way I have the whole lane before I find myself face to face with on-coming traffic. Also, I avoid really tall overpasses. I'm scared of heights, so I avoid them as much as possible anyway!
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #54
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkxda1 View Post
Does anyone know the what is the wind speed to be careful at, the starting point.
Good question.. I have noticed that wind gusts of 15-20 mph move me around the lane of travel. More than that and it really demands attention to bike control and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X viewpost

Drive a car?

Thats sooo funny
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #55
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Sorry about your accident. Wind can be very scary. :/: You'll get the hang of it with more practice.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #56
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
well, i usually would ride in jeans (doh!) and i'm really glad my brother found his old pair of leggings for me to start using... i don't think i'll ever ride without full gear again. Oh, and the sad part is, my ankle got hurt. I don't have boots since mine had fallen apart (also my brothers old gear), when i was at the shop yesterday, i had looked at boots, but only had 80$ on me and they were all 90$ and up... never went back to the bank...
A good place to look for quality gear at a decent price is leatherup.com
Please don't scrimp on your gear, it is all between you & the road.
KEITH HUBBARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #57
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

fyi, i've read a little from twist of of the wrist and it helped me with windy days. Rider input from a death grip on the handle bars translates into poor control, because if the wind hits your chest and you are tense, then it translates into your arms, and therefore your bike handling. I make it a practice to by habit occasionally shake my arms to check and make sure they are loose when i notice I'm putting weight on them, or stiffening to much, that way my control is better.

I've done windy days at 90 mph on the 250 during my commute back from San Antonio on the hurricane, and while bad, even with the 250, it shouldn't be the cause of the wreck. Watch your technique and read up on this before riding again and it help will help.

I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm just saying I've learned a bunch by reading that book, and want to get volume 1 as well so I can read more about street riding techniques (i have #2 that is race oriented).

Ride safe, and do some reading up on this. Even just a little knowledge taken into your riding habits can make a big difference on your handling and "survival reactions".... ie kicking a guardrail is a NO NO. doesn't seem bad until you realize 50 mph and metal don't mix.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #58
Cody_Rules
this.

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
wow this is an old thread
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #59
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Should be able to find plenty of parts for your bike. Believe there is a specific 250 website I've seen some guys mention on here. Might want to give that a look if you are not a member. As mention before, I have a truck so let me know if you need a hand getting the bike to a shop if you are not going to do the work yourself. Peace.

ninja250.com

I personally don't recommend joining, just surfing and posting as a guest/noob. They are TERRIBLE at flaming for anything. Just read the FAQ and if you do post, be prepared to be grilled if you didn't spend 2-3 hours googling answers before asking. Believe me, negative environment for discussion that is casual like what we have here, but if you need to reference anything the FAQ is great and occasional posts can point you in the right direction.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #60
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Rules View Post
wow this is an old thread
aaawwwwwwwwwww. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't even pay attention. Great waste of time though.

Advertisement