MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Just tell the office you got the bike in a trade so they don't charge you but the title transfer fee.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expired tags ? SLiMSiNNER General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-22-2013 04:10 PM
Expired plate citation? theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-30-2012 09:13 PM
expired plates Kodak General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-29-2010 09:19 AM
Expired Pyrofallout Off Topic 22 12-19-2008 07:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
13 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticao View Post
That great , but that would be greater if you can make me one registration sticker as well ... kidding . Sure i will bring the bike to you some time next week

Ha! Wish I could, cause I need one for mine too, it's only been expired since 08. Lol!
But alright man lmk
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
ticao

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)
2015 Duc Streetfighter 848

since 08 WOW , the fine would be roughly $700 by now haha .

Guess i have to bring the bill of sale with empty sale day + a pen with me all the time just in case
ticao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #24
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

How bout you just transfer the title. If that is too rich for you I would suggest selling the bike.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
13 636

Well bike sat for a couple years since it was wrecked, I just recently picked it up, have been working on it past few weeks to get everything running the way I like it, inspected it today, registration comes next week!!
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
How bout you just transfer the title. If that is too rich for you I would suggest selling the bike.
+1.

if you put if off it will just get more expensive.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
hjl47

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 r6

Quote:
since 08 WOW , the fine would be roughly $700 by now haha .

Guess i have to bring the bill of sale with empty sale day + a pen with me all the time just in case
the penalty does not have to do with how long the registration has been expired. it depends on when the bike was sold. so the first part of your statement is wrong. but the second is correct. if the bill of sale and title is dated w/i 20 days, then u wont get penalized. on the bill of sale form, if you put it as a gift i believe that you dont have to pay tax on the assessed value. not 100% on that b/c its been a while since i registered a vehicle.
hjl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjl47 View Post
the penalty does not have to do with how long the registration has been expired. it depends on when the bike was sold. so the first part of your statement is wrong. but the second is correct. if the bill of sale and title is dated w/i 20 days, then u wont get penalized. on the bill of sale form, if you put it as a gift i believe that you dont have to pay tax on the assessed value. not 100% on that b/c its been a while since i registered a vehicle.
The "$10 Gift Tax" only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a:

•Spouse
•Parent or Stepparent
•Grandparent or Grandchild
•Child or Stepchild
•Sibling
•Guardian
•A decedent’s estate
•A vehicle donated to or given by a Nonprofit IRC Sec. 501(c)(3)

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/faq.htm
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #29
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

What's an inspection sticker?
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Guys there may be a fine but there's a limit. If it shows the BILL OF SALE as of months/years yes there will be a fine but it'll stop. The penalties will not continue to pile on. It's written that way as a deterrent for the procrastinators.

1. Buy bike, try not to date it so that you date it when you're ready to register it. Of course if the seller dates it you're screwed.
2. Insure it
3. Take to a place that inspects bikes. Make sure they hand you the receipt to give to tax office when you register it. The tax office will need to make sure it's street ready.
4. Pay for registration/title transfer. They will look at year and make of bike and get NADA to get value. Don't bother trying to trick them that you got it as a gift or for nothing. The only exception is if you take it to a certified motorcycle mechanic that says the bike is not worth NADA. The mechanic will have to give it his approval and put his rep on the line. Good luck!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #31
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Guys there may be a fine but there's a limit. If it shows the BILL OF SALE as of months/years yes there will be a fine but it'll stop. The penalties will not continue to pile on. It's written that way as a deterrent for the procrastinators.

1. Buy bike, try not to date it so that you date it when you're ready to register it. Of course if the seller dates it you're screwed.
2. Insure it
3. Take to a place that inspects bikes. Make sure they hand you the receipt to give to tax office when you register it. The tax office will need to make sure it's street ready.
4. Pay for registration/title transfer. They will look at year and make of bike and get NADA to get value. Don't bother trying to trick them that you got it as a gift or for nothing. The only exception is if you take it to a certified motorcycle mechanic that says the bike is not worth NADA. The mechanic will have to give it his approval and put his rep on the line. Good luck!
Same way I do mine only they have never asked me for inspection, mine has been expired each time. And on the value I try and undershoot it a little on the nada. Most recently I put $1k less and they didn't seem to second guess it.

These are my experiences with purchasing, ymmv
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #32
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post

2. Insure it
really? i JUST got mine registered in Austin county last weekend, ( not saying ur wrong btw, maybe it's just done diff here ) but i paid 8.25% based on what i paid for the bike ( bill of sale ) the guy put on the BOS that i paid 1k for it, so i paid taxes on that. and to register you don't have to have the title in your name @ OP
Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #33
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
What the H...LLLLLL its expire almost a year, at the beginning of 2010. Fck Fck Fck , $300 fine if base on what you said GRRRRRR ...........
If you can't afford that you can't afford to own a bike. Put the thing in your name you are breaking all kinds of laws by waiting to do that too you know. You are making the previous owner liable if you kill someone on it.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #34
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #35
ticao

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)
2015 Duc Streetfighter 848

There a guy on here said that i should not spend all the money on the bike, and have no money left to do other things. Yes i did spend all the money on the bike ........... :( . Registration for a bike is no problem to me, just a couple of weeks more until the paycheck haha
ticao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #36
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fz6 View Post
really? i JUST got mine registered in Austin county last weekend, ( not saying ur wrong btw, maybe it's just done diff here ) but i paid 8.25% based on what i paid for the bike ( bill of sale ) the guy put on the BOS that i paid 1k for it, so i paid taxes on that. and to register you don't have to have the title in your name @ OP
I wouldn't be suprised. Prob a Houston thing. Lol lucky!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #37
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Guys, just type the vin and mileage into the website listed below. Take the number it gives you back and multiply it by .0625 and that will be the cost for taxes for transfering the title.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #38
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

You are right. I'm still about the fact that the bike is being taxed more than once. Funny, I thought there was a law about double taxation somewhere.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #39
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

Be warned if you are going to lie about what you paid for it dont get to crazy they now pull up blue books and get a rough estimate. You can get a reg sticker if its in your name or not. Since most of you know I am buying my bike from a friend I took over notes. It is in his name still and the bank of course, But they dont ask me any of that. I take in the paper.. and if you dont have it get the vin I was told and they will give teh sticker. Insurance is not required for registration just inspection. I dont know if anyone covered that part yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement