MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Your out riding your bike in the middle of the night and then ...

BAM! what do you

http://www.wpbf.com/news/17512182/de...s=wpb&psp=news

10-Foot Boa Constrictor Found On Busy Road
Animal Control Officer Says Snake Likely Pet Released By Owner

POSTED: 10:39 am EDT September 19, 2008

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Two women found a 10-foot boa constrictor slithering along a busy road in the middle of the night.

An animal control officer was called early Thursday morning about a snake slithering along Old Dixie Highway. When Officer Bruce Dangerfield arrived, he realized it was a boa.

Dangerfield said the snake was likely a pet that got too big and was released into the wild by its owner.

“The pet stores are going to hate me for saying this, but they shouldn’t sell them,” Dangerfield said. “They sell these big snakes when they’re real little, a couple of feet long. They’re real pretty and they sell them in a 10-gallon aquarium and they’re the only ones who profit from it. You can’t sell these. You can’t get rid of them. The zoos have one. That’s all they need.”

Dangerfield said they’re also expensive to feed.

“They go from mice to rats to rabbits and chickens and people get tired of messing with them and then they turn them loose,” Dangerfield said. “And they can survive in our subtropical climate.”

Dangerfield said snakes that size often attack people’s pets and have the potential to kill humans.

“It’s going to take some snake like this killing somebody’s little 2-year-old baby playing in the sandbox in the back yard before it wakes people up and they realize they don’t need these things,” Dangerfield said.

Dangerfield said he’s not sure the snake will survive. He believes it was run over before he captured it.

The snake will probably be euthanized.
Copyright 2008 by WPBF.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FRIDAY NIGHT BIKE NIGHT BIKE AT 435 W. RICHEY RD Busaturbo08 Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-09-2012 09:51 PM
N FRIDAY NIGHT BIKE NIGHT BIKE AT 435 W. RICHEY RD Busaturbo08 Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-06-2012 07:24 PM
night riding Vs Day riding Bricksta General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 05-14-2007 09:14 AM
HowTo: Help a Friend Who Gets Arrested in the Middle of the Night ArturoC Off Topic 7 06-20-2006 08:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
aboo007

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2014 CB1000R Black/Gold
'04 ZX636R (sold)
07' Honda CBR 600rr
07' Honda 919 (sold)
04' Suzuki Intruder (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to aboo007
crazy...
aboo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

wow. Yeah, we don't need those running lose here in american suburbia.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

That article is so full of misinformation. Boas are not expensive to feed, even the 10 footers. Pet shows love to buy 'em back all the time. They pay by the foot.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Echo4Hotel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
Hit that sucker like a speed bump, that's what I do.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I've run over my fair share of snakes on FM3090...living ones and tar ones...lol
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
that's why I feel sweepers should be infront of the group so they can clear the road for everyone else
Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

No 10 foot boa but...I was riding my bicycle pulling my daughter in the kid trailer Saturday when I came upon a pretty big f'ing copperhead (I think) on the trail that runs along Memorial. This was behind the Police Memorial where it's pretty wooded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	15276  

Last edited by Drumboy; 09-22-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Found Pic
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

poor snake
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
poor snake
dang pet lovers
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

na, i hate cats! big time reptile lover. i hate when i hear stories like this. pretty soon large boids will be banned as pets.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
No 10 foot boa but...I was riding my bicycle pulling my daughter in the kid trailer Saturday when I came upon a pretty big f'ing copperhead (I think) on the trail that runs along Memorial. This was behind the Police Memorial where it's pretty wooded.
I would be more affraid of that copperhead than a 10 ft boa, fosho
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

i cant see the pic of the copper head well enough to tell. but it's cruel either way to kill them. just let them be unless it's a threat. snakes dont just die when you think their dead. imagine someone cutting you in half and you lived for hours or days after. i dont like snakes. i have a reoccuring nightmare about snakes. ive had it since i came in contact with a copper head when i was a kid. but i would just leave their territory knowing what i know now.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
OK so you like snakes but not a mean shedding cat who runs all over you, scratches the out of you, claws at your lap, & doesnt come to you like a dog when you call for it?

Not that I like hearing about any animal/reptile getting hurt or euthanized b/c ppl. are retarded, but I had to comment on your retardedness....
fixd

plus im allergic to cats. and they smell like a$$
Old 09-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4Hotel View Post
Hit that sucker like a speed bump, that's what I do.

+1. I don't like snakes. Heck might get some good air. I sure as heck wouldn't do something studid to save a snakes life.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

FAAAAKKKKk, I hate F'n snakes.....If I was in a car and saw that boa I would have jump his like a speed bump.....On a bike, i would have probably turned the F around. My luck is I would run that f*&cker over and the front would wash out on me dumpin my to the ground, then he would slither his off right over there and bite my while I'm on the ground.....

As for the Copperhead, thats REALLY scary out in plain site like that in the middle of the day on a paved path....those are very dangerous and aggressive..... hopefully animal control caught that .....

SHIIIITTT....snakes are the one animal I could kill for the F' of it and not give two .....I know they have their place(rodent control) but still.....I hate em....gives me the creeps.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
i cant see the pic of the copper head well enough to tell. but it's cruel either way to kill them. just let them be unless it's a threat. snakes dont just die when you think their dead. imagine someone cutting you in half and you lived for hours or days after. i dont like snakes. i have a reoccuring nightmare about snakes. ive had it since i came in contact with a copper head when i was a kid. but i would just leave their territory knowing what i know now.
I told my daughter (almost 3) that if she wasn't there I'd run over it and she kept asking me all day if we could run over a snake and give it a 'booboo'.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
As for the Copperhead, thats REALLY scary out in plain site like that in the middle of the day on a paved path....those are very dangerous and aggressive..... hopefully animal control caught that .....
probably just sun bathing. I doubt animal control would come out for seeing as how the snake is in it's natural surroundings, save the sidewalk. Just go around it or get a looong stick to "motivate" it to move along.

I find it hard to believe that someone would just let go of an animal like that boa. Seems like a lot of money just flushed down the toilet. Maybe the snake escaped.

There is no reason for anybody to kill a snake most of the time. Obviously not going to wreck trying to avoid a snake on the road, but I hate hearing people say they would kill a snake just because it's a snake. Just ignorance and/or fear.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
ive ran over my fair share of snakes out on the trails on dirtbikes and i remember once i was edging my yard i chopped like 5 of the f*kers with the edger blade
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post
probably just sun bathing. I doubt animal control would come out for seeing as how the snake is in it's natural surroundings, save the sidewalk. Just go around it or get a looong stick to "motivate" it to move along.

I find it hard to believe that someone would just let go of an animal like that boa. Seems like a lot of money just flushed down the toilet. Maybe the snake escaped.

There is no reason for anybody to kill a snake most of the time. Obviously not going to wreck trying to avoid a snake on the road, but I hate hearing people say they would kill a snake just because it's a snake. Just ignorance and/or fear.
my thoughts exactly.

Advertisement