MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
dlocoracer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

license mounting and lighting

whats up guys.. how is everyone today.. quick question for all. just recently bought a bike.. well like 2 weeks ago.. some of yall might have seem me roaming on the boards.. lol..anyways.. the bike that i have has a bracket for the plate just above the rear tire. its kinda in there. it has no lighting.. would i have any problems with passing inspection or with cops.. should i get the license plate light bolts and wire it up.. bike came like that.. trying to get everything legit so i can start riding it.. thanx in advance for help..
dlocoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
streets for Christmas lighting???? The BeastMaster General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-22-2012 01:49 PM
My LED lighting sullivan General Discussion (Moto Related) 100 06-19-2012 04:20 PM
Law or misconception? Rear License Plate Lighting image0r General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 04-13-2012 04:23 PM
HID Lighting? yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-07-2008 10:34 AM
Lava 'n Lighting ArturoC Off Topic 6 07-19-2006 10:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
It's not an inspectable item, so don't worry about the inspection. The location, and not having lights on the plate is highly illegal though. Mine sounds like it's up around the same spot, but I have the bolts that are also lights. I've had two cops mention it while stopped for other things, but never any tickets yet.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
chingpo05

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

it will be something cops can pick on you for and it is required in inspections also.
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
dlocoracer

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

if you go down half way you will semi see some pics when it had a plate.. do you think its kinda hidden..yall think i should move plate or itll be ok.. lol thanx for info guys..
http://houston-imports.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=590132
Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
dlocoracer

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

any ideas trdvet..would i have to buy an eliminator kit..those are expensive.. would those side mount plates work right? then put any lights to illuminate..
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
dlocoracer

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

ill post pics 2morrow
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
dlocoracer

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

i got it fixed.. i had to anyways.. the inspection lady failed me for no license plate light. so i went to 2 wheel toyz and they helped me out. went back to inspection lady kinda being a little but she had no choice. now im all legit and ready to ride. now just waiting to traffic to die down or wait til weds.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
wes_70x
Shake N Bake

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2005 GSX-R 750 *STOLEN*
2007 GSX-R 750 "snow camo'd out" (sold)
2008 Hayabusa

i dont have a light for my plate and havent been pulled over for it yet...... 2 years going.....but it is being illuminated by the brake light
wes_70x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_70x View Post
i dont have a light for my plate and havent been pulled over for it yet...... 2 years going.....but it is being illuminated by the brake light
nor have i, but that doesnt mean its legal. if a cop wants to check you out, all he has to do is have a reason. and if hes in a bad mood, that false sense of security you have there is all the reason he needs to write you a ticket. point is, dont give them a reason when it'll cost you 10 bux at autozone to remedy the situation.

oh and btw, my bike failed last inspection due to no license plate light. so yes, some places check for that.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlocoracer View Post
any ideas trdvet..would i have to buy an eliminator kit..those are expensive.. would those side mount plates work right? then put any lights to illuminate..
Cheaper than a ticket!

Glad you got it straightened out.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
dlocoracer

Bike(s):
06 zx6r

yea i got my M endorsement last week. took my bike for a ride last night. rode to hitchcock and back. and it started raining on me. lol. that was fun. and also had the wind beating me up..all in all im happy
Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
548.051. VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.
(a) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home, registered in this state, must have the following items inspected at an inspection station or by an inspector:

(1) tires;
(2) wheel assembly;
(3) safety guards or flaps, if required by Section 547.606;
(4) brake system, including power brake unit;
(5) steering system, including power steering;
(6) lighting equipment;
(7) horns and warning devices;
(8) mirrors;
(9) windshield wipers;
(10) sunscreening devices, unless the vehicle is exempt from sunscreen device restrictions under Section 547.613;
(11) front seat belts in vehicles on which seat belt anchorages were part of the manufacturer's original equipment;
(12) tax decal, if required by Section 548.104(d)(1);
(13) exhaust system;
(14) exhaust emission system;
(15) fuel tank cap, using pressurized testing equipment approved by department rule; and
(16) emissions control equipment as designated by department rule.

541.201. VEHICLES
"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground.

I believe the "lighting equipment" referred to in this statute means headlights.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
chingpo05

Bike(s):
05 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I believe the "lighting equipment" referred to in this statute means headlights.
lighting equipment refers to your headlights (high and low beam), signals (front and rear and both sides), brake, parking lights, license plate lamp, switches for lighting equipment and indicators of lights ( on odometer and instrumental cluster) i used to be an inspector and i would say they do not always check these things but are supposed to.
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingpo05 View Post
lighting equipment refers to your headlights (high and low beam), signals (front and rear and both sides), brake, parking lights, license plate lamp, switches for lighting equipment and indicators of lights ( on odometer and instrumental cluster) i used to be an inspector and i would say they do not always check these things but are supposed to.

I don't believe a motorcycle is required to have turns signals. In fact, I don't believe a car is either. I was under the impression that they just had to be functional if present.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement