MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Nothing to pardon, it's not like there is a handbook out there to all facets of riding. You've asked some good questions.
A track day is an organization that rents a track for the day to allow others to ride for a fee. Some of the most fun and interesting tracks in the world can be found here, and it is a great way to learn new skills that have multiple applications for street and racing.

Most people advise others to "do a track day" because so many folks drive like their hair is on fire on the streets. The track is an extremely controled (by comparison) environment that allows you to learn the potential and possibly limits of yourself and your motorcycle.

It is inherently more dangerous to ride to or learn your limits on the street, therefore, the track is the best place to have these activities. Not to mention, it's not good for your pocketbook as no doubt you'll accrue quite a few tickets on the street by riding like that!

Skills man, skills. As long as you participate with instruction for your first few track days, your skills will increase dramatically! This translates to the street, and will no doubt become of use to you to foresee and avoid obstacles or emergency situations while riding on the street.

No, not at all. Each provider has their own format, but riders are broken in to different groups that are based on a rider's ability and skill level. The beginners or "noobs" as you'll see them referred to, are grouped with similarly skilled riders. A rider's pace and skill is the basis for their placement in a group, and often times riders will be moved from group-group in order to adjust for those riding faster/ slower than the rest of the people in the group.

Not really. Sometimes, friends will get together and have some friendly competition with each other on the track at track days, but this is not the main reason for folks to go. Again, different groups are at different paces, the slower paced groups will not be the same as the faster paced groups.

Often it's the case that those that are "fast" at a track day, are not "fast" in a race with the CMRA or similar organization that holds racing events. Just like folks that are "fast" on the street are usually not as fast as they think they are at a track day.

No, but there are certain formats that do have this for the first (or first few) sessions. It is a lead/ follow session(s) that show new riders the layout of the track at a comfortable pace (usually not exceeding highway speeds).

Dragging a knee does not = speed. Dragging a knee is a result of good things that you are doing, such as body position, proper braking, proper throttle, etc. This will all be explained in your first class.

There are lots of reasons that it is more dangerous on the track:

No old people to pull out in front of you.

No uncertain road conditions.

No cops.

No animals.

No cops.

You have to wear proper protective gear.

No cops... well, except those doing the track day with you!

you did mean street right???? and all the things yall have said is what has made me want to see what the track is about !!!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Day Question Crossfits Taking it to the Track 2 04-14-2015 10:55 AM
Another Track Day Question Lee-RR Taking it to the Track 17 03-27-2013 10:38 AM
Track Day Question???? RayBusa Ridesmart Motorcycle School 7 03-13-2012 08:34 PM
Track Day Question cobra281 Taking it to the Track 24 10-18-2008 04:06 PM
track day question invalidalias General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-22-2007 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post
you did mean street right???? and all the things yall have said is what has made me want to see what the track is about !!!!
Not to mention this girl that keeps pulling your leg to get you on the track so you can see the REAL potentials of your bike

had to throw it out there...

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post

Ownage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
Thanks for all the info people...!!!

Never stop learning...!!!! Can a "cruiser" type bike do the track day...???? I do not have a sportbike.
Yes, a "cruiser" can do a track day.

We've got lots more information at www.lstd.com too. Check out the site and let me know if I can help out.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
Not to mention this girl that keeps pulling your leg to get you on the track so you can see the REAL potentials of your bike

had to throw it out there...
for sure the girl that pulls my leg!!!! cuz i want to see the potential of my bike....exactly i forgot to say that

[QUOTE=tomLSTD;1401400]...

Ownage

jus lookin out for you !!! ha ha ha
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Yeah, I guess there are a few of us lurking about!

When you're putting your new-found skills to use, you'll be glad there is no uniformed po-po in a car with pretty lights!

That is just untrue Todd!

309617751 96UNK XL
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #26
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
That is just untrue Todd!

309617751 96UNK XL
RUN RUN!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
309617751 96UNK XL
I absolutely love this pic! Poor Pearland PD couldn't even catch us on the track!
:r ofl:
Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #28
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

A track day is not a race. It is an organized event where riders apply various learned riding concepts to practice them while on a track (as opposed to a highway type of riding).
You take a topic, learn about why it is a good skill to have while riding, find out how it should be used/executed, and then you go onto the track to get your hands on training with that topic. As with many things, one has to try something and keep doing it over and over to become better at it.

The things you learn at a track day event are fully transferable to street riding. Going through turns, braking, exiting corners, etc, etc, they are all skills that will make someone a better and thus safer rider. Remember, you often do not need the skills in the streets until you get into an emergency situation, but then it is too late to practice something. Then, you are just reacting to the emergency. However, if you have practiced the skills beforehand, you are much more likely to come out of the emergency unscathed.

Here is an example. Imagine you are on a group ride with a bunch of people, and they take you through a stretch or twisty roads that you have not visited yet. You are all going through your turns, and all is well.
At one point you enter a relatively fast paced turn. Although it at first appears to be a nice sweeper where you can maintain your high speed through. Suddenly you realize that it is a decreasing radius turn and the second half of the turn tightens up dramatically.
Now, if a rider never practiced such maneuvers, he/she would be traveling at a speed that was way too fast for the second part of the road, and they either jam on the brakes, or get scared and stand the bike up (decrease lean). Results are often a crash.
However, if that same rider had the opportunity to practice leaning his/her bike and practiced braking and other riding skills, when this situation arrives, they are fully equipped to deal with the situation, in this case lean the bike lower, use some braking, etc. Since he/she already did many turns at the track, and is familiar and comfortable with the lean angle on the bike, the situation does not scare that rider and he/she makes it through the turn with a nice grin on the face. That is in stark contrast to what the inexperienced rider would display on his/her face.

This situation is quite common while riding on streets. Track riding gives you the skills and the comfort level to deal with surprises the street will throw at you.

If you have never been to a track day, I would strongly encourage it. Even one day often makes a dramatic difference in a rider's confidence and riding style.

When you attend a trackday with any organization, you will be placed into a group that is of similar riding skill/capability. As the day progresses, you may have the ability to move up (depending on school and a few other factors). So please do not feel intimidated about track days. The first thing that will happen to you is you will have a great time. Everything else is up to you.

Here are some organizations you can look up for a track day:

RideSmart
LSTD
LMS
Texas Track Days
Elite

They each have their own web sites...google them up and read about each to see if you think it is a fit for you.

Let me know if this helped you in some way. I am sure many organizations will ask you to join, and so will I. My recommendation would be to choose an organization you think is right for you, and try them out. You can shop around for a while and see what suits you best. Then, if you plan more track days, you will have a place where you acclimatize and get to know people at.

Take care, and ride safe - RideSmart.

Quote:
Hello and pardon my ignorance.

What's the deal with the track day...??? Why everybody advise about doing a track day...?? If I'm not into racing, how that will benefit my street riding..??

Also is the trackday some kinda of race...??? when you guys get together at the track are you racing against each other?? or everybody must keep a single line?? Due to the speed involved, looks more dangeorus a track day than street riding. I do not think that I will ever need to drag a knee on the street.

Please, enlighten me....

Last edited by Ridesmart; 08-26-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #29
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
How many trackday orgs can we get in one thread selling their services?

Just kidding guys, don't take it personal.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #30
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
How many trackday orgs can we get in one thread selling their services?

Just kidding guys, don't take it personal.

I'm just glad we have this many organizations down here fighting for our business. The competition benefits us greatly.

I just need more money so I can get back out there!
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #31
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Good info...!!!! Thank you very much for sharing folks.

I was not aware of all the different groups doing track days. Only LSTD.

Is something that I'll certainly check in the future.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #32
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

So....a track day will be much more benefitial than the "MSF Advance Class"..???
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #33
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

DEFINITELY!!!

The advanced MSF course will not come even close to what you will get to practice at a track day. The difference in level of confidence and level of skills is very large. Enter the trivia contest our organization has there on racers forum, and if you win, you can experience it for one day. Just a suggestion (not trying is like giving away things).

Take care.

Quote:
So....a track day will be much more benefitial than the "MSF Advance Class"..???
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #34
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Zapata,

you may also want to sign up for the noob sponsorship in the racers lounge. I will have enough donations by this weekend to give away our 1st track day!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #35
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Both are good and should be taken to compliments each other. Track is all about speed and pushing to the limit. Advance MSF is about slow speed manuever and safety. It's like MMA, why just learn 1 style of fighting?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #36
Capt Penetrate
A view from my office

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 Track
07 R1 to pose

The trackday is there for you to learn how to back it in
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #37
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
I'm just glad we have this many organizations down here fighting for our business. The competition benefits us greatly.

I just need more money so I can get back out there!
I LOVE it!!!!!!!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #38
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
Can a "cruiser" type bike do the track day...???? I do not have a sportbike.
Zapata, by the way, your Speed Triple *is* a sportbike. It's not a cruiser, rather it's a naked (ie, no fairings) sportbike. It's suited for a trackday just fine.

ps - I'll throw in my 2 cents that my primary reason for attending trackdays is for the sheer fun of it, so I can get my fix without having to get supid on public streets.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement