MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #41
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
awww you scared a mommy. =(

When i get cut off i don't even look their way. i continue to roll on the throttle and change lanes going about my business. I do not have time to start a fight in traffic or to mean mug anyone. I am focusing on the road looking ahead for any other obstacles i might have.

i admit that i'm going atleast 10mph over the speed limit where ever i'm at on the streets EXCEPT in neighborhoods. i must give respect to the kiddos playing in the streets and their parents lol. what comes with speeding though is cars coming over into a lane i'm in not expecting me to get their fast. I don't know about everyone else but if you are speeding and get cut off it might just be your fault for speeding =)

I feel going the speed limit puts me in more danger as I am sitting around a bunch of cars that never know i'm even there because they are busy texting, eating, drinking, talking on the phone, beating their kids, giving a reach around to their lover etc. i'd rather be ahead of all that and contantly be on the look out. can't say this will work forever with me but for now it's what i am comfortable with.
Dave I've thought about this many, many times. There truly seems to be something to this. Every time I just kind of chill and do the same speed as the rest of the traffic they always seem to start moving in toward me. If I get more aggressive (I'm not talking about flying through traffic) then I don't seem to have nearly as many problems and near misses.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who can cut down exhaust? Supa Dave Performance and Modifications 28 09-03-2014 03:54 PM
CUT MY CAN PLZZ?!?!? BRYAN How To's and Q & A's 18 04-09-2010 09:16 PM
cut or no cut texlurch Performance and Modifications 25 06-12-2008 05:38 PM
Got cut off and took my first spill tenguin General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 05-20-2008 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #42
the_grey_john

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1999 Honda CBR600 F4

Maybe I am missing it, but I see some people look very lightly at gettin' cut off and some people start getting all super violent...
Old 08-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #43
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Some times it doesn't bother me at all. Some times it's just a simple mistake even though they've checked their mirrors and all. But then there's a million of them that aren't paying attention to what they're doing and they drive like they have their heads up the rear end. That me off because that is how people get killed.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #44
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
Something like that happened to me the day I bought my gear. I was on my way home from just picking it up, and on my street a white F250 turned from the opposite lane of traffic into the parking lot of a Kroger's, pulling right in front of me. I jammed the brakes and when I realized that wasn't going to stop in time I has to swerve into the other lane to barley miss his back bumper.

I was , so instead of keep going to my house I turned around in the next parking lot and went to the Krogers where he turned in, and I never let off the horn the whole time until I found him. It was him and 4 buddies in his truck. I gave him the WTF hand signal and he got out of his truck and grabbed my hand and said he was completely sorry, and just started shaking my hand and wouldn't quit apologizing.

Once he did that, I did feel my anger slowly go away, because he realized he really almost screwed up. He admitted he was looking at his buddy in the passenger seat when he started to turn and didn't see me until I was already looking at him through his passenger window.

So yes if they acknowledge their mistake it does make it easier to calm down, but when they ignore you like it never happened or get angry at you like it was your fault.... Not sure how I would act. Each time I have had an incident like this I have always gotten an apology. This was just the only one where you could tell the guy was truly sorry.

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #45
Croe
Kogasamaru (Fate changer)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki 08 z1000

Send a message via Yahoo to Croe
i get cut off i honk they flip me off its never ending, but then again it doesnt happen to much because i live in a town with a bunch of sunday drivers. When im in Houston i just ride a little more agressive and keep watch all around me.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #46
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

I had almost the same thing happen Sat. I couldnt get behind him. I'm lucky the lanes were wide enough for both of us. I was almost in the curb. I honked t him, and he slammed on his brakes and stopped me in traffic. I followed him into a parking lot. He said I was going too fast (about 4MPH over) and that it would have been fine if he killed me. I stayed SEMI calm, and didnt beat him or his truck into dust. I thought about turning around and finishing the job a few miles down the road, but decided I didnt want to risk jail time.
gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #47
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I feel ya Amber, yesterday wifey and I went for a cruise and some A-hole decided that my going 10mph when pulling up to a RED light wasn't fast enough so he decides to pass me....here's the kicker, he didn't ever fully leave the lane so he half lane split and half got over to go around me....I was livid b/c my wife was on the back and he was being careless in traffic. I layed on the horn and made sure he knew he was a 1st class A-hole (). My wife was telling me to calm down and it took everything I had to not pull up next to him and start a fight. Why do people think that if we're on two wheels we don't deserve the same consideration . That being said you should only follow someone in a car if you are anticipating a shootout or playing a nice game of road wars....cuz them cagers is crazy and someone w/a gun will always win unless you got one too
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #48
jmcdomino

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Most times will just stay out of the way and ride off. I had one guy turn into 4 of us when coming to a light. I gently knocked on his window he was about to hit me. When he looked up away from his phone he was like what am I doing in the lane he wanted to be in. He continued to come over with no regards to myself or fellow riders. I proceeded to to knock his mirror off and drive off while he picked up the pieces. Problably should have pulled out of the car....
jmcdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #49
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
It's funny. people can look right at you and then start coming over. Like the bike doesn't register in their brain.
Which brain?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #50
Houston'sK5
Banned

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Yellow Haro(Dave Mira Edition)
F4easy

Member Garage

User is banned

Houston'sK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #51
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post
I have a question for my fellow riders...

I was riding today and, as the title suggests, I was cut off. I anticipated it, and slowed down, sure enough, she got over in my lane, inches away from my front tire.

I rev'd up, then got beside her. She wouldn't acknowledge me and she stayed on the phone. So, I followed her, and we pulled into the police station[no one was there]. I saw that she had a child in the car with her [i saw the baby seat], so when she got out I, very nicely and calmly told her that she cut me off and could have killed me. I could tell she was visibly upset [she was kinda shaking] because I followed her for a good 3-4 miles before she pulled over in the police station. I asked her why she didn't acknowledge me and/or the fact that she cut me off when I was riding next to her. She proceeded to apologize to me, stating that she was scared because she had her kid in the car, she didnt know if I was a guy or a girl [even though I was wearing jean capris and funky pink/black polka dotted and striped socks] and she didnt know what my intentions were. I told her that I understood her point and I apologized for freaking her out; and proceeded to explain to her that she really needs to watch out for us and that she could, very well, have killed me etc. etc. After she apologized, I told her that that was all i really wanted and that I appreciated it.

So here's my question, had she acknowledged me and the fact that she cut me off when I was riding next to her...i.e. a wave, mouthing "SORRY!!" etc, I would've been fine with it and left it at that. But she did not...and that's what made me more upset than her cutting me off...

Does it ease your temper/make it okay if the driver that cuts you off acknowledges the fact that they fk'd up? How do you handle things when you get cut off?

Is this considered proper riding gear?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #52
Houston'sK5
Banned

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Yellow Haro(Dave Mira Edition)
F4easy

Member Garage

User is banned

Houston'sK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #53
fvidrine
Not Your Aerage White Boy

Bike(s):
Working on my 1st

Send a message via AIM to fvidrine Send a message via Yahoo to fvidrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona Rider View Post
I've knocked mirros in! I've kicked doors! One time I knocked on the window and flip them out! I had this guy in a F-250 cut me off and when I passed him he fliped me off and talk about fueling the fire!! I pulled out my pocket knife and went to work, then when he saw what I was doing he tried to hit me. So I speed up and cut hiw off and let go of the gas and started dancing and fliping him off! People that saw what was going on were honking and fliping him off too. Then when I got home I started to think how unsafe that was. O well what's done is done!
That is frickin awesome, That will teach his lol!!!
fvidrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #54
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Why must we encourage these morons
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #55
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
giving a reach around to their lover etc.
Stay off of Montrose.....
Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #56
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

i simple middle finger is what everyone gets when they cut me off nothing more then i take off incase they gotz a gat, maybe if they get flipped off enough they will learn if not oh well they will know they are number one in somebodys book
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1
b18c1ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #57
Myrdok
Dude No Longer With a POS

Bike(s):
02 Suz Katana 750 (Sold)
09 CBR600rr

the other day i was riding and i noticed the guy next me had his blinker on so i slowed down to let him over. he did not and turned his blinker off. so i went to speed up and thats when he came over into my lane without a blinker on this time and cut me off. that my off because i was going to let hime over when he had his blinker on then he chooses to cut me off.

She's had 5 kids. You could pound a summer sausage in there with a Peterbilt and still have room to parallel park a Jetta. I'm pretty sure knocking on the tradesman's entrance isn't going to get you sent to the penalty box.
Myrdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #58
Ronnie77

Bike(s):
2008 Night Train

I GET PRETTY BENT WHEN I GET CUT OFF.....AND I REALLY LOSE IT WHEN THE CHUCK ME THE BIRD! I HAVE SPIT ON WINDOWS KNOCKED MIRRORS ETC.. I HAD ONE LADY ON HER CELL PULLING OUT OF A NEIGHBORHOOD (WHILE I WAS IN THE FAR LANE) AND CAME WITH IN INCHES OF MY FOOT!!!! i LOST IT STOPPED MY BIKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET GOT OFF AND WALKED RIGHT UP TO HER AND LET HER HAVE IT!!!! I JUST DONT GET SOME PEOPLE YES AN APOLOGY HELPS BUT THE REALITY EVERY ONE IS IN SUCH A HURRY THEY FORGET WHO IS AROUND THEM AND AFTER AWHILE ITS ALL I CAN DO TO KEEP MY COOL..........BACK IN THE DAY IF YOU CUT SOME ONE OFF YOU GOT A HANDFUL OF BALL BEARINGS IN YOUR RADIATOR!!!!!!
Ronnie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #59
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...one would think that with all this mirror, door, window kicking/breaking etc that more would actually show up on the news.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #60
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

It happened here about a mnth ago in Friendswood. My son and I were riding thru town and going the speed limit(friendswood). So my son is behind me and had about a car length between us just chillin. Here comes a lil punk teenager in his new Z71 truck mommy and daddy bought him and cuts in front of my son really quick, as im watching behind me, i slow down lettign off the throttle a lil bit and he get right on my , now im , he follows for a bit and then jumps in the right lane and get on hit, passing me laughing. He had to be 16 maybe 17. I flipped him off, i was , ,y son had slowed way down by this time, after the dumb passed he got in front of me to jump back in my lane to turn left not 300 yards further. as i passed he was yelling something and flipped me off, i pulled over at the conaco station and took my jacket off and waited for a min. got a drink of water and chilled out....

i wanted to woop a lil kids but i knew i could not. kids/people have no respect.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement